· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:38 pm

ThurberMingus wrote:
MrNovember wrote:I currently own both and think Rings is a pretty great addition to the No Coast. Gives you a great second voice to play with. You could go pretty far with those two

Is there any way I could convince you to make a video of a patch using just those two to make soyboy sounds? For science?

I can see what I can do this weekend!

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:52 pm

ThurberMingus wrote:Soyboy Sounds for Science

New band name. :lol:

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:58 am

So uhhhhhhh... going on a date saturday with another detroit musician who is a mutual on instagram. she always messaged me about my eurorack videos and we were trying to figure out what to do before dinner and...

Its been real everyone, but I am dying and going to heaven saturday, peace :hello:

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:31 am

lol. you will be missed sir.

so, looking at a little Next To The Rack setup for playing out. was thinking a mixer with an efx loop going into a fuzz, H9 and RM1, and an end of compressor for the signal to house/main mixer board then a portable recorder to record from the Tape Out of the mixer.

thinking a Mackie Mix12FX for the mixer, FMR RNC for the compressor, Tascam DR05 for the recorder (it has a stereo in and can be charged from a USB port).

would i want a DI as well? or would the main outs of the mixer be enough? Mylar talking about getting to a show and getting handed a beat to fuck I'M NOT GOING TO SAY THE NAME BUT YOU KNOW IT WAS A BEHRINGER DI that made all his delicious low thuds and creamy vrah vreems turn to tinny genital smackings.... is scary.

sound good? any suggestions/improvements? silly to try to run a fuzz to a board since i've never heard a fuzz sound good live unless it was mic'd?

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:52 am

Does your mixer have XLR outs? Most sound guys I’ve worked with use DIs to take long cable runs through XLR. So it’s always a good idea to still have a stereo DI to send your mixer to if it doesn’t have the right outs.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:01 am

my home mixer does, the smaller Mackie one i'm thinking for live stuff does NOT.

good point suh.

i was thinking the RNC just to make sure i don't send crazy subs or nasty highs on. just since modular loots has such a wide range?

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:21 am

also, tried bunches, and as crazy good as it is, Stages isna for me.

going to list tonight or tomorrow, if anyone wants her hit me up we do ILF Bro Bro Lady Touch deal.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:31 am

behndy wrote:also, tried bunches, and as crazy good as it is, Stages isna for me.

going to list tonight or tomorrow, if anyone wants her hit me up we do ILF Bro Bro Lady Touch deal.

Oh man, I wish I had money I could spend right now. So tempting

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Ghost Hip wrote:Its been real everyone, but I am dying and going to heaven saturday, peace :hello:

You mean getting catfished and thrown in the back of a van? Meet in public. :thumb:

behndy wrote:
coldbrightsunlight wrote:I don't have a just friends? I was just being playful with the name :lol:

I wish I did though because that thing sounds gooooooood

WELL THEN BUY ONE AND SELL IT TO MEEEEEEEEEE.

Uh.

No.

:lol:

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:34 pm

Sucks nobody makes a big V/oct to Hz/V / Hz/V to V/oct converter box. The market is screaming for this considering how many Korg ms-XXs are out there. I’m talking ROWS of converters.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:50 pm

So far my most hated thing about modular is the sheer number of modules and trying to learn about them and how they interact. Moreover - the lack of simple examples of only two modules patched together.

I know it’s all going to make sense when I get my hands on some stuff and start figuring it out myself, but frick the barrier of entry is high as fuck.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:05 pm

JereFuzz wrote:Sucks nobody makes a big V/oct to Hz/V / Hz/V to V/oct converter box. The market is screaming for this considering how many Korg ms-XXs are out there. I’m talking ROWS of converters.

Doesn't the Disting have a convert like that in it?

ThurberMingus wrote:So far my most hated thing about modular is the sheer number of modules and trying to learn about them and how they interact. Moreover - the lack of simple examples of only two modules patched together.

I know it’s all going to make sense when I get my hands on some stuff and start figuring it out myself, but frick the barrier of entry is high as fuck.

This is kind of what has led me to sell a lot of my euro and focus more on semi-modular stuff.

Also, No Coast and Rings videos may have to wait until sometime next week. This weekend has been busy. I just finished building a privacy fence and am going to a concert tonight. Maybe I'll have time tomorrow

Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:39 pm

MrNovember wrote:
JereFuzz wrote:Sucks nobody makes a big V/oct to Hz/V / Hz/V to V/oct converter box. The market is screaming for this considering how many Korg ms-XXs are out there. I’m talking ROWS of converters.

Doesn't the Disting have a convert like that in it?

ThurberMingus wrote:So far my most hated thing about modular is the sheer number of modules and trying to learn about them and how they interact. Moreover - the lack of simple examples of only two modules patched together.

This is kind of what has led me to sell a lot of my euro and focus more on semi-modular stuff.

Also, No Coast and Rings videos may have to wait until sometime next week. This weekend has been busy. I just finished building a privacy fence and am going to a concert tonight. Maybe I'll have time tomorrow

I realize modules are available for conversions but I want a stand alone box so I don’t have to buy the iron case, etc

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:25 pm

ThurberMingus, I recorded a couple of clips of No Coast and Rings jams. Sorry for the phone quality. Also might want to listen on headphones

This first one is based on the No Coast Krell patch and I'm using Rings to process the results. Also some FMing going on between the Rings and No Coast. There's no other external processing going on; just No Coast through Rings to the mixer:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj2YBBpAl79/

This one is a quick rhythmic patch I put together using a bunch of different modulations from No Coast to Rings. The background drone is No Coast FM'd by Rings:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj2ZD8ogo1Z/

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:37 pm

MrNovember wrote:ThurberMingus, I recorded a couple of clips of No Coast and Rings jams. Sorry for the phone quality. Also might want to listen on headphones

This first one is based on the No Coast Krell patch and I'm using Rings to process the results. Also some FMing going on between the Rings and No Coast. There's no other external processing going on; just No Coast through Rings to the mixer:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj2YBBpAl79/

This one is a quick rhythmic patch I put together using a bunch of different modulations from No Coast to Rings. The background drone is No Coast FM'd by Rings:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj2ZD8ogo1Z/

Very nice sounds like a big dirty marimba ...
Post a reply