Can we talk about modular synths?



Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby mr. sound boy king » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:27 am

ts50b wrote:
I've been looking for one of these Pittsburgh Patch Boxes for a while and finally found one. I've mainly wanted it for processing guitar and standalone synths, but I will also slowly build from here. Got µBurst to start out, but I've got some more modules on the way. Also what are your favorite effect modules?


Some of my favorite effect modules incl.

Make Noise Echophon. Insane echo and pitch shift madness machine. I use it mostly with a Benjolin but I bet a guit would sound really good through it.

Analogue Systems Comb Filter. Sort of phased out flanged out micro-delay monster. It is VERY deep, though, so check ya specs.

Dave Smith DSM03 Feedback. A real shit fucker upper. "At the heart of this unique module is a tuned feedback line for sound mangling; a newly-designed, resonant, low-pass filter for tone shaping..." etc. One of my favorite jokes is to run a Meng Qi Karp into this for double fucked karplus-strong zaps.
mr. sound boy king

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:20 pm

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby behndy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:48 am

because SOMEONE keeps saying anyone that doesn't use the input on Rings is an idiot, here's NoiseEng LIP (about 2.20 in) into Rings -

Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK


music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
https://bloodpartyband.bandcamp.com/alb ... e-computer

Imageokay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 18551
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Cali. East Bay Yo.

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby ts50b » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:22 am

mr. sound boy king wrote:Some of my favorite effect modules incl.

Make Noise Echophon. Insane echo and pitch shift madness machine. I use it mostly with a Benjolin but I bet a guit would sound really good through it.

Analogue Systems Comb Filter. Sort of phased out flanged out micro-delay monster. It is VERY deep, though, so check ya specs.

Dave Smith DSM03 Feedback. A real shit fucker upper. "At the heart of this unique module is a tuned feedback line for sound mangling; a newly-designed, resonant, low-pass filter for tone shaping..." etc. One of my favorite jokes is to run a Meng Qi Karp into this for double fucked karplus-strong zaps.

I knew about the Echophon, but not the other two and they're both up my alley. The DSM03 sounds especially awesome. Thanks!
ts50b

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:09 pm

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby Inconuucl » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:25 am

behndy wrote:because SOMEONE keeps saying anyone that doesn't use the input on Rings is an idiot, here's NoiseEng LIP (about 2.20 in) into Rings -


Have you tried putting drum modules through Rings? I've put a lot of drum machines through resonators on my iPad and it's always a good time, :snax: It's like adding another layer of percussion, or acousticisizigjnergfeng them.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
Image
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 5803
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:35 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby behndy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:53 pm

hah! i'd just ordered a DSM03 the othet day. should be here by Thursday or Friday. WOOT.

Innoculations - i.... HAVEN'T with Rings. will though. shizz was a blast with the 4ms Spectral Rez, 'm a git for not trying it yet with Ringies. thanks!
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK


music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
https://bloodpartyband.bandcamp.com/alb ... e-computer

Imageokay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 18551
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Cali. East Bay Yo.

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby MrNovember » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:28 pm

Yo Behndy, according to social media Quadrantid Swarms will start shipping this week! I am getting excited to get my hands on it

Also, finally actually read up on the features of the Magneto and now I have bad gas for one. I mean, I knew it was a tape style delay, but the features look really nice and the layout looks a lot more intuitive than I was originally thinking. It would go a long way in my simple setup
MrNovember

User avatar
Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:24 pm
Location: GTA

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby behndy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:42 pm

murrrrrrr. like. i don't want to be Betty The Doubting Vagine but.... i'll believe it when i get my tracking number.

well. when my tracking number actually shows movement.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK


music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
https://bloodpartyband.bandcamp.com/alb ... e-computer

Imageokay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 18551
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Cali. East Bay Yo.

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby oscillateur » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:48 am

MrNovember wrote:Yo Behndy, according to social media Quadrantid Swarms will start shipping this week! I am getting excited to get my hands on it

Also, finally actually read up on the features of the Magneto and now I have bad gas for one. I mean, I knew it was a tape style delay, but the features look really nice and the layout looks a lot more intuitive than I was originally thinking. It would go a long way in my simple setup


I might save you some money : you can't change the timing of the taps.
oscillateur

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:16 am
Location: Tokyo

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby mr. sound boy king » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:37 pm

So I got me one of those ROLAND GO: MIXERs to record modular clips for putting on the internet. After a software update on the old Android, the thing will only record stutter-step audio which ruins the clips, of course.

Is there a thing which does what the ROLAND GO: MIXER does (i.e. provide recording interface for phone video) but is not a ROLAND GO?
mr. sound boy king

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:20 pm

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby fever606 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:46 pm

I use an iRig interface, works great with the Camera app on my iPhone. Not sure about Android compatibility, but it basically just connects a 1/4" TRS to the correct pins on the 1/8" TRRS for audio in.
fever606

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2665
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:03 pm
Location: district of columbia

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby behndy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:42 pm

USE A DESKTOP/LAPTOP YOU HEATHEN.

woot! second Just Friends just arrived.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK


music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
https://bloodpartyband.bandcamp.com/alb ... e-computer

Imageokay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 18551
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Cali. East Bay Yo.

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby MrNovember » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:55 pm

oscillateur wrote:
MrNovember wrote:Yo Behndy, according to social media Quadrantid Swarms will start shipping this week! I am getting excited to get my hands on it

Also, finally actually read up on the features of the Magneto and now I have bad gas for one. I mean, I knew it was a tape style delay, but the features look really nice and the layout looks a lot more intuitive than I was originally thinking. It would go a long way in my simple setup


I might save you some money : you can't change the timing of the taps.

Hmm, that may actually save me money. I see there's three different spacings available, but no manual control....hmm
MrNovember

User avatar
Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:24 pm
Location: GTA

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby Jwar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:40 pm

Ok, I have a real question.

Is there anything advantage wise on having a small modular set up vs using something like Audulus (or similar programs)? I ask because I have been continuously messing around with recording and it's almost all textural or synth based. So, I'm thinking about dropping a bass to get a few items that could produce different sounds I hear in my head (though I will have to do a lot of research). I'm just wonder what the advantage of having the hardware vs software would be in some of your opinions?
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

User avatar
Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF
 
Posts: 17046
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:18 pm
Location: Inside your mother

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby fever606 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:51 pm

Hands-on control versus touchscreen. Easier integration with other gear (pedals, amps, recording, etc.).

But it sure as hell isn't cheaper. :idk:
fever606

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2665
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:03 pm
Location: district of columbia

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby Inconuucl » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:53 pm

Jwar wrote:Ok, I have a real question.

Is there anything advantage wise on having a small modular set up vs using something like Audulus (or similar programs)? I ask because I have been continuously messing around with recording and it's almost all textural or synth based. So, I'm thinking about dropping a bass to get a few items that could produce different sounds I hear in my head (though I will have to do a lot of research). I'm just wonder what the advantage of having the hardware vs software would be in some of your opinions?

Immediacy. The experience of turning a knob and having all of the connections literalyl in front of you is so much different than moving your mouse and having a gui full of numbers and equations. Just like the act of playing music with traditional instruments is a collaborative process with the sounds themselves and the gear that produces them, same thing with eurorack. It's part of the reason a lot of eurorack models do simple things in very esoteric fashions, it makes you think differently.

Also, Audulus is a lot more...ahem, modular than a standard modular rack, as it goes component level rather than just modules. It has a pretty steep learning curve to do anything that's not beyond the mere basics. You might want to go with something like VCV Rack that's free to try your footing.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
Image
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 5803
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:35 pm
Location: Boston, MA

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dallasisacowboy, Google [Bot], ognoy and 8 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.