Can we talk about modular synths?



Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby brndnwilliams » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:37 am

Hey everyone, I’ve been using my Verbos harmonic oscillator to make pads by CVing everything and going into clouds and haven’t ever tried any sounds with transients. I’m looking for recommendations on fun ways to get new sounds. Do most ppl have a LPG they’d send their oscillator through for plucked sounds? What else is fun besides a vca with an envelope? My modular systems has mostly been used to processes sounds and not make them and I’m ready to start composing on here. Also, what’s the deal with the W/? I hear half the ppl love them and half hate them. Is it really buggy or just a workflow thing? Seems up my alley but I have no way to try one nor do I know anyone else with modular off the Internet. Thank yaaa!
brndnwilliams

committed
committed
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:02 am

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby behndy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:47 am

oscillateur wrote:Will you please let me yell at the clouds ?
No, not these clouds :animal: .


lol. we can scream at those Clouds together bebe.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK


music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
https://bloodpartyband.bandcamp.com/alb ... e-computer

Imageokay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 18377
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Cali. East Bay Yo.

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby worra » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:22 pm

oscillateur wrote:There's like three of you in here who seem to have some self-control regarding gear purchases (I can name all three), it's a slightly worrying but quite entertaining thread :).


You're not even my real dad
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/
YouTube demos and such

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:22 pm
Location: ATX

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:57 pm

D.o.S. wrote::lol:

I am finishing my 3U with a wasp I think. But I will have to file it down 1HP to fit :(

but think of the resale value. I bet you don't even keep the original boxes for when you sell pedals you animal.
Good deals with: AngryGoldfish, Officer Bukowski, casterbro, amnesiac305, Achtane, Snufkino, Tom Dalton, DarkAxel, JamesSGBrown, casperh7, Tristan, intothegroove, Gigahearts_FX, alalalkasar, nightterrors, Schlatte, Dandolin, jskadiang, laekna, biftaclyro, maortojn, oscillateur

some Swedish dude wrote:Hitler is #1 soy duck


I make music sometimes:

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/releases
coldbrightsunlight

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 7990
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby Antlerface » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:35 pm

I throw pedal boxes out. And module boxes. Fight me.
Antlerface

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:55 am

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby oscillateur » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:44 pm

Regarding W/ (I haven't got one but I've read most things about it on Lines) :

There's a new firmware version almost ready that fixes a number of issues but not all, and Mr Mannequins is working hard on the rest of the bugs.

Beyond that, it has a specific interface that does not necessarily click with everybody. I still want to get one at some point, by the time gear funds allow it mist issues should hopefully be fixed.. (should be fun with Teletype too)
oscillateur

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1975
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:16 am
Location: Tokyo

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby behndy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:01 pm

annnnnnd W/ is gone. sold it for i think only $10 less than i paid. so..... woot?

also, about to watch Lost Boys on the beach in Santa Cruz. that movie is so dumb, but so fun. and it's neat with the same roller coasters in the background as what's on the screen.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK


music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
https://bloodpartyband.bandcamp.com/alb ... e-computer

Imageokay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 18377
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Cali. East Bay Yo.

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby brndnwilliams » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:59 pm

oscillateur wrote:Regarding W/ (I haven't got one but I've read most things about it on Lines) :

There's a new firmware version almost ready that fixes a number of issues but not all, and Mr Mannequins is working hard on the rest of the bugs.

Beyond that, it has a specific interface that does not necessarily click with everybody. I still want to get one at some point, by the time gear funds allow it mist issues should hopefully be fixed.. (should be fun with Teletype too)

Thanks for the reply. Cool, I was also hoping to get one with the fixes implemented but I saw the one for sale here and it got me thinking about buying one anyway. I see it’s gone now so I’ll wait as planned. I see a lot of ppl that have one have two. That’s thought provoking. Did Mr Mannequins give an approx release date? Their Instagram told me 2 weeks a month and a half ago and I’m anxious :) I hope the interface works with me , and you
brndnwilliams

committed
committed
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:02 am

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby behndy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:45 pm

yah. it was just too much memorization of button combos and the way it's laid out i get.... but it seems suuuuuper hard to be precise. awesome amount of features in no space at all though.

it makes me want a way to click straight to half or double speed on Nebs 2. going to ask about that.

also, fuck YES. Sunbeamer on IG (you on here? I SUCK AT KEEPING NAMES STRAIGHT ACROSS PLATFORMS.) let me know CtrlMod is doing preorders on Just Friends. said they told him should ship mid-July. WOOT.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK


music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
https://bloodpartyband.bandcamp.com/alb ... e-computer

Imageokay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 18377
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Cali. East Bay Yo.

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:10 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:
D.o.S. wrote::lol:

I am finishing my 3U with a wasp I think. But I will have to file it down 1HP to fit :(

but think of the resale value. I bet you don't even keep the original boxes for when you sell pedals you animal.


I do actually.
NSFW: show
for easy reference:
Image

good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
misterstomach wrote:I buy t-shirts for bands I don't like and then I wear a trash bag over them. It gets really hot in the summer, but it's necessary and worth it because I'm a man of principles.
D.o.S.

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 28265
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Ewe-Kay

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby worra » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:57 pm

behndy wrote:yah. it was just too much memorization of button combos and the way it's laid out i get.... but it seems suuuuuper hard to be precise. awesome amount of features in no space at all though.

it makes me want a way to click straight to half or double speed on Nebs 2. going to ask about that.

also, fuck YES. Sunbeamer on IG (you on here? I SUCK AT KEEPING NAMES STRAIGHT ACROSS PLATFORMS.) let me know CtrlMod is doing preorders on Just Friends. said they told him should ship mid-July. WOOT.


:hug: :hug: :hug:
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/
YouTube demos and such

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:22 pm
Location: ATX

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby behndy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:15 pm

worra wrote:
behndy wrote:yah. it was just too much memorization of button combos and the way it's laid out i get.... but it seems suuuuuper hard to be precise. awesome amount of features in no space at all though.

it makes me want a way to click straight to half or double speed on Nebs 2. going to ask about that.

also, fuck YES. Sunbeamer on IG (you on here? I SUCK AT KEEPING NAMES STRAIGHT ACROSS PLATFORMS.) let me know CtrlMod is doing preorders on Just Friends. said they told him should ship mid-July. WOOT.


:hug: :hug: :hug:


theeeeeeeereeeeee'ssss my gurL!

thanks bebe!
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK


music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
https://bloodpartyband.bandcamp.com/alb ... e-computer

Imageokay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 18377
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Cali. East Bay Yo.

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby worra » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:34 pm

Used the 856 with the euro last night (via Sewastopol). This thing really needs to be a module. It would be too good. Take the output and mangle it even more with Morphagene or something? Yes yes.
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/
YouTube demos and such

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:22 pm
Location: ATX

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby mr. sound boy king » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:42 am

worra wrote:Used the 856 with the euro last night (via Sewastopol). This thing really needs to be a module. It would be too good. Take the output and mangle it even more with Morphagene or something? Yes yes.


Did the 856 get redesigned? I had one from the first batch (which arrived broken, another story) and found it inscrutable.

Sewastopol is one of the greatest modules atmo. I've mainly been using mine to re-amp other modules (Beast-Tek Glitch Drum esp.). The pre-amp on that fucker is nasty & awesome.
mr. sound boy king

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:20 pm

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby worra » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:03 am

mr. sound boy king wrote:
worra wrote:Used the 856 with the euro last night (via Sewastopol). This thing really needs to be a module. It would be too good. Take the output and mangle it even more with Morphagene or something? Yes yes.


Did the 856 get redesigned? I had one from the first batch (which arrived broken, another story) and found it inscrutable.

Sewastopol is one of the greatest modules atmo. I've mainly been using mine to re-amp other modules (Beast-Tek Glitch Drum esp.). The pre-amp on that fucker is nasty & awesome.


Yeah Scott re-laid out the controls, added an exp/start-stop switch jack, and a midi jack to route midi thru. Also lower power draw requirements. I had the first one as well and this one (while maybe less aesthetically pleasing) is a bit easier to grok

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkQ2EUfllWo/

I need to start using my sewastopol to re-amp the SMR, this is a great idea.
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/
YouTube demos and such

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:22 pm
Location: ATX

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], jrfox92 and 11 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.