Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby greyscales » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:05 pm

MrNovember wrote:I use both the O_C and Disting mk1 for pretty much the same reason; when I need a quantizer, I've got one available, but when I don't there's tons of other modes available.

greyscales wrote:Just not a fan of their panel layouts (some labels are above the jacks, some below).

I didn't even notice how much this drove me nuts until I kept plugging into the wrong jack on the Mother 32 (insert naughty joke here). All the knob labels are below the knobs, but jack labels are above the jack. I don't know why but that messes with my head too much

I had to check mine because I know it would bother me, but Mother32 is consistent - both jacks and knobs have labels above. But with how tightly packed the 32 jacks are, sometimes I have to double check what is plugged in to what.

kbit wrote:
Outside of Rene, I built a Penrose from Sonic Potions and I like it a lot. Having buttons in a keyboard layout to select intervals is so much easier than remembering preset scales, easy to change on the fly, and I can't tell you how useful it is to only have 2-4 notes selected rather than a whole scale.

It also has a sample and hold built in, and the gate out still fires a gate every time a note changes when you don't have a anything in the trigger input, useful for generative melodies. Sometimes I need to double press a button and the LEDs can be difficult to see in the sunlight, but those are my only gripes and they're pretty minor.

Relatively easy build, too. I thought I had an issue with the LEDs at first but it was because I forget to solder a row of the push-buttons :facepalm:

Price/feature set isn't bad at all and DIY can be cool but after getting a Dreadbox kit with wrong/missing parts, I'm a little hesitant to get kits from EU. It's such a pain to get the parts sorted out and stuff can get lost.
Rene is such a neat sequencer. Might have to bite one day. Cartesian sequencing might justify my geography degree.
greyscales

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:55 pm

greyscales wrote:
MrNovember wrote:I use both the O_C and Disting mk1 for pretty much the same reason; when I need a quantizer, I've got one available, but when I don't there's tons of other modes available.

greyscales wrote:Just not a fan of their panel layouts (some labels are above the jacks, some below).

I didn't even notice how much this drove me nuts until I kept plugging into the wrong jack on the Mother 32 (insert naughty joke here). All the knob labels are below the knobs, but jack labels are above the jack. I don't know why but that messes with my head too much

I had to check mine because I know it would bother me, but Mother32 is consistent - both jacks and knobs have labels above. But with how tightly packed the 32 jacks are, sometimes I have to double check what is plugged in to what.

I had to go check and you're right. I think I was just thinking that they were inconsistent because I kept plugging stuff into the wrong jacks. Apparently I'm just stupid :idk: :lol:
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby oscillateur » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:14 pm

Now that I have a Teletype and Txi expander for 4 additional CV inputs I'll definitely use these if I need a quantizer unrelated to what's going on in the TT.
oscillateur

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby kbit » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:21 pm

greyscales wrote:
kbit wrote:
Outside of Rene, I built a Penrose from Sonic Potions and I like it a lot. Having buttons in a keyboard layout to select intervals is so much easier than remembering preset scales, easy to change on the fly, and I can't tell you how useful it is to only have 2-4 notes selected rather than a whole scale.

It also has a sample and hold built in, and the gate out still fires a gate every time a note changes when you don't have a anything in the trigger input, useful for generative melodies. Sometimes I need to double press a button and the LEDs can be difficult to see in the sunlight, but those are my only gripes and they're pretty minor.

Relatively easy build, too. I thought I had an issue with the LEDs at first but it was because I forget to solder a row of the push-buttons :facepalm:

Price/feature set isn't bad at all and DIY can be cool but after getting a Dreadbox kit with wrong/missing parts, I'm a little hesitant to get kits from EU. It's such a pain to get the parts sorted out and stuff can get lost.
Rene is such a neat sequencer. Might have to bite one day. Cartesian sequencing might justify my geography degree.

Synthcube has them, they're in the US. Out of stock at the moment, though :cry:
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dark Barn » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:31 pm

Ornament + Crime is the quantizer to beat feature-wise imo, although some people find it obtuse or too menu-divey, but I personally love it. And like was said by MrNovember it has other uses when you don’t need a quantizer.

I have such a bone for Marbles, the wait for the second batch has been killing me.

Also it seems like I had a little room to spare after some changes so I got a 4ms RCD and a Joranalogue Compare 2 coming. I hope the Compare 2 reveals its secrets to me
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Deltaphoenix » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:00 pm

That Compare 2 is sexy. It sure does have a ton of secrets.
behndy wrote:i want to have dirty sex with each and every mod here. in their poopcunt. while squirls shoot out of my dick and tinier squirrels shoot out of THEIR dicks in an Escher-esque recursive love filth pile.

My Band: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/capturetherapture

My Solo Electronic Stuff:http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/deltaphoenix
Deltaphoenix

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Deltaphoenix » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:28 pm

Also....

I have put together a 12 space Buchla 200e...I just can't stay away from Buchla, SO DAMN GOOD. I bought mostly used, sold a bunch of stuff but yeah, it was pretty expensive SO I am thinking that I might need to sell more Euro. I have a 9u 120hp Pittsburgh case, I like the case pretty well but I am thinking that I could cut back 9u 90hp (plus a control skiff). Anybody looking for more space and have a case with those dimensions? I would take cash + trade.

Also, I am not 100% but if you are interested hit me up. Might let go of:
FLXS1
Akemie's Taiko
Elements
STO
LXD

already selling Furthrrrr Generator and Orgone Accumulator (retail)
behndy wrote:i want to have dirty sex with each and every mod here. in their poopcunt. while squirls shoot out of my dick and tinier squirrels shoot out of THEIR dicks in an Escher-esque recursive love filth pile.

My Band: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/capturetherapture

My Solo Electronic Stuff:http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/deltaphoenix
Deltaphoenix

Supporter
Supporter

Postby worra » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:29 pm

Dark Barn wrote:Ornament + Crime is the quantizer to beat feature-wise imo, although some people find it obtuse or too menu-divey, but I personally love it. And like was said by MrNovember it has other uses when you don’t need a quantizer.

I have such a bone for Marbles, the wait for the second batch has been killing me.

Also it seems like I had a little room to spare after some changes so I got a 4ms RCD and a Joranalogue Compare 2 coming. I hope the Compare 2 reveals its secrets to me

Oh right, I have a micro O_c. :facepalm:

Marbles is worth the wait, it is awesome.

Now - someone sell me a Just Friends :cool:
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/
YouTube demos and such

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ThurberMingus » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:11 am

Should I get Marbles as my first real module to complement my incoming 0-Coast? It seems like a real home run.
neonblack wrote:SELL IT!

Don't form emotional bonds with metal boxes.

Live like me. Flip everything. Romanticize nothing. Accomplish nothing.

lost in music wrote:Digivolve into champions!
ThurberMingus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:41 am

ThurberMingus wrote:Should I get Marbles as my first real module to complement my incoming 0-Coast? It seems like a real home run.

It all depends on what you want to do and what you feel is missing from the 0-Coast... If you're looking for random-based sequencing, then it could be a good fit. The modulation sources in the 0-Coast could be used to control the Marbles and vice-versa.

If you get another sound source, I'd recommend getting a mixer module too (or a multi VCA with mix output). And some effects never hurt, though if you're looking for end of chain stuff and do not need modulation you could do it with pedals (after attenuating the output to around line level).
oscillateur

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ThurberMingus » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:32 am

Marbles is probably going to be a later purchase. I’m planning on building a system that gets all the pretty ambient sounds, but with the ability to make more structured rhythmic patches. I’m trying to do a portamento of r beny and Com Truise I guess.

The 0 coast is likely to stick around as the more aggressive voice in my system, of course providing some additional patch points to gel with everything else.

ThurberMingus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ThurberMingus » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:25 pm

Whoops I bought an HEK and behndy’s Rings. I should be able to run Rings into the 0-Coast’s balance in right? Sorry for all the noob questions I just don’t want to be caught with my pants down when cool toys start showing up.

I’m getting really excited! I’m starting to conceptualize how modules will interact and how signal and cv chains work and I’m really stoked.

ThurberMingus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:35 pm

ThurberMingus wrote:Whoops I bought an HEK and behndy’s Rings. I should be able to run Rings into the 0-Coast’s balance in right? Sorry for all the noob questions I just don’t want to be caught with my pants down when cool toys start showing up.

I’m getting really excited! I’m starting to conceptualize how modules will interact and how signal and cv chains work and I’m really stoked.

Yeah in that case I believe you would get the Rings output mixed with the overtone output from the No Coast. Also, definitely try processing No Coast sounds with Rings in. That's always a good time
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby worra » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:52 pm

Gear update: Bought a VG8+, needed some gate sequencing in my life. I still want a Just Friends (sorry, behndy, but you already have ONE!)

Stuff for sale: Dinky's Taiko, aluminum Cinnamon.

Music update: More drone explorations tonight. I'm actually using the "hihat" mode on Plaits for a lot of this, while pitch sequencing two filters.

https://soundcloud.com/user-423541249/disassociation
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/
YouTube demos and such

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:31 pm

worra wrote:Gear update: Bought a VG8+, needed some gate sequencing in my life. I still want a Just Friends (sorry, behndy, but you already have ONE!)

Stuff for sale: Dinky's Taiko, aluminum Cinnamon.

Music update: More drone explorations tonight. I'm actually using the "hihat" mode on Plaits for a lot of this, while pitch sequencing two filters.

https://soundcloud.com/user-423541249/disassociation

Nice. Sounds like a haunted factory ...
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear