· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:17 am

oscillateur wrote:Does anyone here own a Xaoc Tallinn ?

If so, any impressions ?
My initial plan was to get an Intellijel Quad VCA but I might not need that many additional VCAs and the Tallinn should be better for overdriving things (which I never get tired of). It lacks bias though but having lin and exp control might mitigate that a bit...

And for those of you with Quad VCAs, how's the overdrive (when in exp mode and with boost) ?

I have a Tallin and Intellijel's Quad VCA.

If you want OD to provide grit/distortion, Tallin is your best bet. Quad VCA is an excellent module, too, but the "Boost" mostly serves as a signal boost that almost acts as a clean boost (at least with the signals that I feed it). It's a great VCA, can get super loud, and is also functional as a mixer.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:51 am

Muse FTW : Thanks for the info. How do you like the Tallin's overdrive ? Compared to other modules for example ?

This module is the same price as the Quad VCA (at least locally), so the appeal is mostly the sound character (otherwise I can get dual VCAs for cheaper)...

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:00 am

Also, I'm trying to sell this locally first but my Folktek Mescaline (copper version) is for sale now. Because I don't have enough time for it and I need a Teletype more. If someone here is interested, PM me :)

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:31 am

oscillateur wrote:Muse FTW : Thanks for the info. How do you like the Tallin's overdrive ? Compared to other modules for example ?

I'm fairly interested in this as well. I've been planning on picking up a Tallin for a long time for an extra VCA and the character, but I recently got Veils in a trade and it turns out that it overdriven quite nicely. I also really like that it can act as a mixer.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:01 am

Tallin's OD is great for me. It can make a signal hot enough to provide a little clipping, or it can go full distortion and make a mess of whatever you're feeding it. There are 3 settings for the clipping too: one gives you no extra clipping, and the other two give you different harmonic settings once you start driving it. I don't really push it that hard (to the point where the LED is redlining) but even with mild OD settings, it's very musical. For the size, I haven't found a better VCA. (Side note: speaking of those LEDs, they're super helpful going from green-yellow-red.)

If I had to choose between a Tallin and Quad VCA for my setup, I'd choose the Quad VCA because of its ability to be a VCA and mixer - but if I had a micro setup and/or needed the HP flexibility I'd go Tallin.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:55 am

I preordered Plaits hella early from CTRL but haven't received a shipping notification yet. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:59 am

Muse FTW wrote:I preordered Plaits hella early from CTRL but haven't received a shipping notification yet. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Same here :(

Also, thanks for the info on Tallins. Sounds like exactly what I was expecting. I don't plan on buying one for awhile, but it'll definitely stay in my plan for now

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:24 am

Holy shit.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:36 am

Inconuucl wrote:

Holy shit.

I never bothered looking at the Strymon since I am still a wee modular boy and its pretty steep price, but I watched/listened to this last night on my home theater system while cooking and fuck I want one now. Might order a chronoblob next to subdue my needs at a much lower price.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:50 am

that's super pretty.

i mean, the Magneto looks dope as butts, but i dunno. i'd rather have a Big Sky again and have a buttload of reverb models?

that vid is gooooood though.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:24 pm

also, finally got around to watching Mylars video on VCAs.

i LOVE that guy.

he's just so inspiring. because he knows tons, and not only does he know how to explain or demo it in an interesting way, he has such passion for what he does that it completely shines through.

like, whilst doodling in my head at work i've thought about some of the slow evolving applications of VCAs, but he makes me want to go home RIGHT NOW and pop every spare VCA into my side case and learn anything fun and weird and useful.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:28 pm

Mylar is awesome, I love his new podcast thing as well.

Also behndy, you gave me DLD gas and I have sold my Chronoblob and my DLD is out for delivery today :D

I'm wondering if I can get by with just a Tangle Quartet and Maths for VCA things....

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:33 pm

lol. i just have a Tangle Quartet in my 12u case too. TOTES putting the other 3 or 4 ones i have into Next Door Case to play tonight.

WOOT DLD BROTHAHS. chatting with Eric! and DivKids vidjas sold me on it. so excited. mines gets here tomorrow, SMR today.

oof. would be harrrrrrd to let go of Chronoblob. she's such an awesome delay. but YES 2 delays in one/Wacky Times Stereo Delay/WACKIEST Times Delay INTO DELAY.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:36 pm

also also, fuck YES. we just heard back that the 2 bedroom apartment (just can NOT afford to buy right nose, and any houses that were pet friendly and close to my work were out of our price range) in a beautiful quiet neighborhood with about twice as much space as we have now is ours.

murrrrrr going to move from a 4 square feet of music room space to about 20 i think. YESHHHHHH.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:37 pm

Grats on the home ownership dude!
Post a reply