Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby MrNovember » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:20 pm

Yeah, also no kids here and just one dog, who honestly makes me reconsider wanting kids. Seriously, how can one dog be so much work? It's currently 10:15PM, he's had three 30 minute walks throughout the day, I played fetch with him outside for over an hour, and yet he's still constantly bugging us to play. Pupper has infinite energy. But yeah, my only responsibilities are a dog and a mortgage, so there's a decent amount of wiggle room for gear.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Invisible Man » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:40 pm

The amount of gear I has definitely had an inverse proportion to the number of kids I have. Still have a fair amount of gear, but it's way more focused. 6U/60hp is not a ton.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby actual » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:15 am

Forrrest wrote:
Image.

That SEM :love:
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Forrrest » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:22 am

oscillateur wrote:Ok, so almost all of you basically spend a bigger part of your income than me on gear, that explains things :).
That might be because I've mostly been living in big, expensive cities for the past 15 years (Paris, Tokyo), rent and cost of life are quite high (and I've got a kid too now, that costs monies too ;) )...

cost of living here in montreal is pretty low and I pretty much spend all my money on gear,
no kids, no bad habits (outside of gear obviously), haven't had a vacation in over 15 years.
when I work I do as much OT as possible all in the goal of getting new gear.
but modular sure is a $$$ suck. not sure I wanna spend another 15G on more modular... but it is :!!!:

oscillateur wrote:Also. the CP3 mixers are awesome. Lovely overdrive and super useful. I just wish mine was set up with an unipolar instead of bipolar mix out knob, as I use it with audio almost all the time.

I was just thinking today how I wouldn't mind modding them to be unipolar. I've got Triatts for bipolar cv mixing. (who needs an overdriving mixer for CV anyways?)

actualidiot wrote:That SEM :love:

speaking of the SEM and the cp3, summing the SEM oscillators externally and overdriving them just a bit is EXACTLY the only thing that's missing from the newer SEM compared to the vintage ones. I'd been using Doepfer A-138 to do the job, but the first thing I patched when I got the CP3 was this, and it's beautiful!

$harkToootth wrote:I completely understand. People with set ups like yours...you've transcended music and now communicate with other life forms. That is a compliment.

that is my life goal I guess, so Thanks! :)
This tiny little life of mine, what am I gonna do with it anyways? might as well do something absurd like organizing sounds into documents.
Forrrest

committed
committed

Postby actual » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:46 am

speaking of the SEM and the cp3, summing the SEM oscillators externally and overdriving them just a bit is EXACTLY the only thing that's missing from the newer SEM compared to the vintage ones. I'd been using Doepfer A-138 to do the job, but the first thing I patched when I got .

This is exactly the kind of modular talk I wanna see.
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:48 am

Forrrest wrote:This tiny little life of mine, what am I gonna do with it anyways? might as well do something absurd like organizing sounds into documents.

i like the cut of your jib sir.

lol. all tiny ass minuscule compared to Capitan Gigantor Forrestey Department, but loaded up the 6u with the parts i have for her right now, rearranged.stuffs a bit to get the most used kit more accessible, TOO TIRED TO MAKE NOISES NOW.

......okay. made a LITTLE bit of noises. fwahhhhhh she's a CRACKAH.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby oscillateur » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:52 am

I just re-arranged my case for better ergonomy. Which was not a simple feat as it required living room space and my wife was away and the baby was not sleeping.
But I succeeded. And I plugged everything correctly, it all works (which is still something that somehow scares me when I move modules around).

Well, I had to change a few things as some modules did not fit where I wanted because of 1mm of depth or something. Still, there shouldn't be that much to change when I get the next planned things (Quad VCA mostly, and probably a Teletype sometime in the future for my main sequencing/volts generating duties).

Here's how it is now (the last row does not exist, it's a couple of modules that are not in the case now).
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:57 pm

mmmmm looooooots.

how do feel a out the STO vs the Dixie II?

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:39 pm

behndy wrote:mmmmm looooooots.

I'm a much bigger fan of the Dixie II. Although, it'll really come down to personal preference. The Dixie II is a lot more of a stable and precise VCO, where the STO is a lot more organic.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby behndy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:23 pm

innnnnteressssting. i love the STO as a basic little osc. sounds so meaty and thunky through filters and short envelopes. but the Dixie has always INTRIGUED ME.

woot! uBraids should be here by next weekend.

i'm really only inky moist (Octi Love Squirp References are GO) about the vocal stuff, i don't have that right now.

and MAN it is distracting as butts to cut up samples. i always sit down to parse out one shot hits and end up with 3 or 4 in a row that sound good together and then i'm fucking around with a beat or melody instead of DOING THE WORK I NEED TO.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby kbit » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:30 pm

The more time goes on the more I want Make Noise to take up the majority of my system.
I mean, they already do, but even more so :lol:

Sounds so tasty :drool:
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:19 pm

behndy wrote:mmmmm looooooots.

The STO has more sound shaping capabilities, with the onboard waveshaper and the sub out (which can be patched back in the linear FM input for nice gnarly sounds). Its sinewave is not as nice as the Dixie's, but not bad either.

The Dixie has a crapton of outputs but I rarely use more than two at a time. Very clean sinewave, great tracking. Has opulse width modulation, which can be cool. Works well as an LFO. More utilitarian, in a way, but super useful.

Both are great as small, full-featured oscillators. Though to be fair I prefer self-oscillating filters for sinewaves these days.

And I'll probably be selling one or two of them to make space for some other things at some point. Because I still want to keep everything in that 7U case.
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:23 pm

yeshhhh. fm FUN.

MANNNN the 4 Vox us awesome.

my favorite part so far is that you can set what the pitch is rolled all the way down.

FUCK guessing where i'm at. LOVE IT.

annnnnnnd i'm out now, so haven't dived the into the control software for the BSP, but does anybody know jow ti change the octave range? when i tap it down to the lowest octave range, it's still an octave or two higher than i want.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby oscillateur » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:05 pm

Sorry, this is not related beyond the fact that Aphex Twin used some eurorack to process his sound live recently (and has a huge system at home), but the juxtaposition of audio and video on this is too wonderful not to share...
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:46 pm

lol. PERFECT.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear