Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby behndy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:29 pm

i feel you. i would love an identical to present panels, but in black. because YES Yummy Mannequins design.

but. for all black rows, i'll take what i can get.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby behndy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:06 pm

also, got the 3 new NosieEngs coming in. got to play with the CIP and Sinc Bucina, both sound so. freaking. GOOD. didn't use the Ruina, but have all the high hopes.

WOOT LOOT.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby greyscales » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:45 pm

Trying out DFAM for bass instead of percussion. Both oscillators slightly detuned. Using a Disting for quantizing. Plaits doing chords, Tiptop One for kick, noise into Wasp filter for hats.
Came up with this in the half hour I had free before work today so not polished at all. But gives a little glimpse of what DFAM can do.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:12 am

Just read up on the Just Friends RUN modes. They all sound very interesting; I'm excited to try them out using CV from the Planar 2.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:13 pm

Been inundated with life lately and have barely had a chance to play. So now I'm sitting here with a Metron, Hertz Donut mk3, Piston Honda mk3, Stereo Dipole, and a Mini Slew as newbies to my rack and I've barely had the time to learn any of them to the level I'd like. New option overload. Metron is easy enough to do basic stuff without learning too much of it, but it makes drums a big focus which draws attention from other things. I have learned quite a bit about Chimera and Fracture, though. Having that many triggers enables the use of the double trigger input combos and not feeling like you're wasting a trigger on the random choke input. And also sequencing BIA modulation with gates.

Piston Honda has been nice for wavetable evolving textures, but I haven't gotten far beyond that. I probably had enough time to learn some Hertz Donut tricks, but it just takes effort to setup. Which is fine, but when you're tired from life, you just wanna sit down and let all the wiggles out, ya know? Mini Slew is pretty useful and has allowed me to take out Maths. It's got some quirks, but dialing it in a little (not to mention getting advice from William at WMD helps) and it'll do pretty much what you want. It's nice for the 95% of times I wasn't using Maths to it's full potential. And freeing up 12 hp. Finally, Stereo Dipole is a monster, but again lots of learning curve and dial in time. It has a lot of secrets because it's basically like a double Xaoc Belgrad and a wide open QPAS in one. You have all the options at your finger tips. But with 5 different controls that affect cut off frequency and 3 knobs that affect resonance, I still need to internalize how all the knobs play with each other. SSF has been really helpful on MW answering questions. But it would be nice to have the manual.

AAAAANNNNND not to make this anymore complicated on myself, I ordered a Befaco Kickall today. Probably not a huge learning curve there. I've been trying the SSF Bass Drum, but it's so big for what it does with a lot of options I don't always want if I just want a bass drum. Not to mention I got one with the old PCB that does the attenuverters instead of the offset knobs, so I can't really sequence with gates unless I burn a channel on Blinds. I may com back to it though. I like the envelope outs and how the "ring" and "body" knobs function. And the double use as a filter (but now I have Stereo Dipole). Also, WMD has that bass drum coming out and they've been on fire with their percussion modules lately. I think I want two Crucible modules when those are available.

Finally, I think I'm about to replace the Quadra I'm borrowing from a friend with a couple of ADSRVCAs. Might also consider the Modbox over the Batumi. And still thinking about a MSCL. Basically I'm gonna be almost all WMD/SSF. I blame Denver for that.
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby Muse FTW » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:58 am

“but when you're tired from life, you just wanna sit down and let all the wiggles out, ya know? M”

I feel this on a spiritual level.

Just discovered the Five12 Vector Sequencer. Shit looks awesome, but I have no clue where to buy it from.
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:09 am

lol. right? got home from a busy as hell day of work, super moist to play with the Blck_Noir, looked at yanking something and rearranging to pop it in, shuddered, laid in bed and alternated napping and playing Switch.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. sound boy king » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:04 pm

greyscales wrote:

Trying out DFAM for bass instead of percussion. Both oscillators slightly detuned. Using a Disting for quantizing. Plaits doing chords, Tiptop One for kick, noise into Wasp filter for hats.
Came up with this in the half hour I had free before work today so not polished at all. But gives a little glimpse of what DFAM can do.

This is dope. The more I screw with DFAM the more I like it even though it has tons of dead spots and can feel impossible to dial in. Default mode for me is using it as a stupid-fun hi-hat machine. But yesterday, used one of the cardboard preset things (ELECTRO THUMP) and had my head blown off. Serious fucking piece of gear which requires some care to master. I am novice.
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby greyscales » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:47 pm

The Electro Thump preset is nice. I think the presets in the manual are actually a little more interesting than the cardboard cutout presets.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby mr. sound boy king » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:51 pm

greyscales wrote:The Electro Thump preset is nice. I think the presets in the manual are actually a little more interesting than the cardboard cutout presets.

Moog should've included blank cardboard bois. I am a novice. However, I do have a MOTS set I'm going to drop as an EP featuring DFAM N' Akemie's Taiko as the only voices. It's great, I'll post a link a.s.a.p.
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby worra » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:10 pm

behndy wrote:lol. right? got home from a busy as hell day of work, super moist to play with the Blck_Noir, looked at yanking something and rearranging to pop it in, shuddered, laid in bed and alternated napping and playing Switch.

This is kind of the feeling that I got when I decided to sell off 60% of my stuff. I know I said I was gonna show y'all what I kept so here it is:

Obviously, patching them all together is a thing but my thoughts were - First case for live performance, recording, really my main case as far as what I consider to be my sound and what I want to use to create what I love. Second case is the Make Noise System Cartesian, I actually didn't buy this from Make Noise but assembled it to spec over about 2 years of hunting down all the proper black and gold modules. Not exactly the smartest way to do it but :idk:. I have always loved the Make Noise approach and I wanted something that really encouraged me to go nuts and embrace some creative patching, and it's fun to embrace a manufacturer's system and try to experience what their vision might have been. Third case is for travel, and because Morphagene is the BEES KNEES and I could never get rid of it.
https://foldednote.bandcamp.com
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:26 pm

That's a tasty selection of modules that you kept. Your main case looks really nice. If I was to expand, I'd want to build something like that
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby behndy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:15 pm

verrrrry sexy suh. lol. love how quickly you replaced the Rene 2.

i am digggggging the Rene and Blck_Noir. spent about an hour ploomping away at a gates loop from the VG4 into Noir last night. so many sounds.

kinda thinking about grabbing a second VG4plus to slave to the first. really want the VG8 v2 to come out, miss the extra features, but using 2 4plus's next to each other seems like a solid holdover.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby doommeow » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:34 pm

What’s going on with Disting? I’ve seen more mk4’s for sale in the past 2-3 week than in the past year. Is something new coming out to replace it? MK5 going to eol mk4 or something?
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby greyscales » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:50 pm

doommeow wrote:What’s going on with Disting? I’ve seen more mk4’s for sale in the past 2-3 week than in the past year. Is something new coming out to replace it? MK5 going to eol mk4 or something?

ES just released a new module last month, so it seems unlikely. And they've been putting out firmware updates for mk4 consistently this year.

If it was going to happen, I hope it would include an OLED screen instead of a dot matrix.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear