Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby Jwar » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:52 pm

Invisible Man wrote:Jesus will be a robot.

You’re gonna break ILF if you do this. Please show restraint (I know you won’t).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Jwar » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:58 pm

So are you saying I ought to avoid modular?
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Strange Tales » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:06 pm

That's a loaded question on where to start. It depends really on what you want to do and where you want to go.

Although you need VCAs. I won't punch you in the face because you'd probably kick my ass in no seconds flat, but I'll give you a stern wording if you don't have VCAs.

In other news, I'm selling Rings to buy this thing:
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Invisible Man » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:11 pm

Do you know anything about synthesis, J? I mean, do whatever you want, but starting basic and small to learn is probably better if you’re a noob. Either sound source, modulator, and modifier or a more traditional setup (osc, envelope, filter, vca, sequencer).
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby Inconuucl » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 pm

Or a Mother/0-coast. :idk:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jwar » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 pm

I don't know much! I was just hoping to start digging in. I'm learning the Folktek Mescaline and despite having initial issues, I'm actually learning each time I use it. So, I'm starting to feel more confident.

I tend to enjoy sequencers, drum machines and filters.

I was more looking at a "oh, look at this combination to get started". Maybe I'll go look at some online tutorials.

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Jwar » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:22 pm

Inconuucl wrote:Or a Mother/0-coast. :idk:

I was trying to buy Physic Vampires Mother way back. Damn...:(

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:28 pm

Can you please get a Piston Honda MK ][ since I've been trying to get someone on this board to get one for about a year now?
Actually, I think a lot of the Industrial Music Electronics modules would resonate with you. I want someone to get a Zorlon Cannon MK ][.

If you can wait on a sequencer, I would wait for the new Malekko Grooveboxes because that way you will have a sequencer AND a stand alone groovebox.

This is coming from someone who owns literally 0 modules though and has no intention of getting any...
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:37 pm

The Mescaline is a pretty obscure and weird place to start to be totally honest.

I keep saying every time someone asks, I think the best place to start is with a Mother 32. It's got everything you really need to learn basic synthesis while wetting your toes in the modular world
Last edited by MrNovember on Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby behndy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:56 pm

are the Malekko grooveboxes still happening? i was so damn moist for his dirty drum machine, but feels like ages since anything has been mentioned about that?
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby oscillateur » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:13 pm

Yeah, starting with a Mother32 or 0-Coast is a good idea because you don't need a case/power supply with it and it's pretty self-contained while playing well with others.

But the question is : what do you want to do with modular that you think you couldn't do with other gear. There are many valid answers to that question but if it's "acid basslines" or something like that then you'll be much happier with a fixed architecture synth, for example.
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Inconuucl » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:30 pm

Yeah, I'm partially going modular because I exhausted all other options, and going even more minute (as in playing with math functions in Audulus like I did for years) proved to be more of an exercise in engineering than anything musical. :idk: Also, after a work injury my hands aren't what they used to be, so it's futureproofing my musical hobby.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jwar » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:52 am

oscillateur wrote:Yeah, starting with a Mother32 or 0-Coast is a good idea because you don't need a case/power supply with it and it's pretty self-contained while playing well with others.

But the question is : what do you want to do with modular that you think you couldn't do with other gear. There are many valid answers to that question but if it's "acid basslines" or something like that then you'll be much happier with a fixed architecture synth, for example.

I'm wanting a few things. I dig industrial music more than anything. I want a warm, organic rhythmic beats as well as lush white noise walls.

Most acid basselines sound too house to me. Does that make sense? I'm not really into the whole house or dubstep type themes.

I'm into dark, spooky shit.

I have sounds in my head and the best thing I can relate to what I'd like to achieve is something like Trent Reznor. Obviously I'll never be Reznor but something in that same vein.

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Jwar » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:55 am

Inconuucl wrote:Yeah, I'm partially going modular because I exhausted all other options, and going even more minute (as in playing with math functions in Audulus like I did for years) proved to be more of an exercise in engineering than anything musical. :idk: Also, after a work injury my hands aren't what they used to be, so it's futureproofing my musical hobby.

I don't think I've exhausted all my options. I just think it would make more sense to use modular gear for what I want to do as opposed to using my pedal board. I love sound scaping and making noise in general but I want the noise to be musical. I HATE random bleeps and bloops as well as screeches. I just can't take it. LOL

I could just keep buying pedals I suppose.

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Jwar » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:15 am

Alright. Who has the best pricing on the Mother?? Anyone know a good deal?

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear