Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby mr. sound boy king » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:10 pm

Ghost Hip wrote:I think where I may have went overboard was with my drums/percussion set up. I won't post where I am with all that but at the very least I can compare what works best for me. Right? ...Right. :lol:

I'm curious about your drums / percussion set up as that is my favorite part of all set ups. What is your drums / percussion set up?!

:eek: :eek: :eek:
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby behndy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:38 pm

Deltaphoenix wrote::love: THAT is beautiful

thank you suh! was funnnn.

mr. sound boy king wrote:
Ghost Hip wrote:I think where I may have went overboard was with my drums/percussion set up. I won't post where I am with all that but at the very least I can compare what works best for me. Right? ...Right. :lol:

I'm curious about your drums / percussion set up as that is my favorite part of all set ups. What is your drums / percussion set up?!

DON'T BE SHY GURRRRRL. SHOW US YOUR DRUM BUTTS.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ghost Hip » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:58 pm

behndy wrote:
mr. sound boy king wrote:

DON'T BE SHY GURRRRRL. SHOW US YOUR DRUM BUTTS.

:lol: Alright.

What I have: Moffenzeef Mito, Blue Lantern Mini Shimmery. Also the kick and snare in peaks. With what I have right now I clocked the Mito with Maths and linked it to Peaks and the Shimmery. Really surprised by how intuitive the Mito is, yet still provides happy accidents with each turn. The Peaks is what it is drum wise, 808 kick and snare, basic stuff. The Shimmery is honestly a bit underwhelming, its not quite the texture I was hoping for. Hopefully a bit of clipping or filter might help it out. I even tried taking the drone out and putting it through a VCA channel with rhythmic modulation. Still plenty of time to dial it in and see what can be found, but it wasn't as easily accessible/juicy as my other modules so far.

On the way: Tiptop BD, SD, and HATS909, two pico drums w/programmer (excessive... but damn these things are hard to pin down so I jumped on a wiggler deal). I also have a Qu Bit Rhythm on the way I got for reallllll cheap. I figured in combination with the Mito and all the drum modules, I would have lots of ways to build a beat (be it traditional or polyrhythmic), easily mute channels, and slew/fuck with timing. I have an Erica Fusion Mixer to add some soft clipping/mix it all together.

It's a lot, but is having excess drum modules such a bad thing? Especially since it is rather straight forward to get shit running and any other drum machine on the market has a ton of sounds to dive into as well. :idk:
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby mr. sound boy king » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:25 pm

That's not too much drum modules. I have many drum modules as well and find the variety invigorating. Non-modular drum machines can slay face eternally but you do not have the amount of control you do with a modular drum set up. Like instead of having to work with the confines of what Elektron thinks a kick engine should be, you can choose a kick module which goes in a particularly pleasing way. In any event, I have a good collection of drum machines which I still use (esp. LXR!) in addition to the modular drum machine.

V. curious about the QBit Rhythm... had not seen that previously. Too bad it is a very large HP hog...

Also curious re: Mito but feel like it's probably enough like a Trigger Riot that I don't need to fucks with one.

Also curious about the HATS909 because it seems more versatile than a lot of cymbal modules.

Anyway, drum modules are life.
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby behndy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:29 pm

i am super thinking about grabbing one of the tiny uGrids. has my INTEREST.

also, wanted to list my Roland Scooper, but any idea where i would get the euro power adapter for it? guy i bought it off just sent the wall wart. hit up Roland?

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. sound boy king » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:00 pm

behndy wrote:tiny uGrids. has my INTEREST.

Is not GRIDS so much like TRIGGER RIOT? I guess I don't understand the MI literature about how many drum loops GRIDS has stored as knowledge...
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby behndy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:25 pm

lol. i guess because i've never owned one i am curious? i believe it's a bit closer to the Noise Eng pre-installed rhythm gate modules than Trigs?

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby dozicusmaximus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:21 pm

Goddamn it... I just ordered a Digitone.

I need to stay off the internet for real.

My self control is shit. Well.... I'm using it all to stay sober I guess, so my internet buying addiction is up :facepalm:

Should be fun though. :yay:

By the way, diggin your stuff Antlerface. This is you right?
http://washedrecordings.bandcamp.com/
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby Ghost Hip » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:38 pm

mr. sound boy king wrote:That's not too much drum modules. I have many drum modules as well and find the variety invigorating. Non-modular drum machines can slay face eternally but you do not have the amount of control you do with a modular drum set up. Like instead of having to work with the confines of what Elektron thinks a kick engine should be, you can choose a kick module which goes in a particularly pleasing way. In any event, I have a good collection of drum machines which I still use (esp. LXR!) in addition to the modular drum machine.

V. curious about the QBit Rhythm... had not seen that previously. Too bad it is a very large HP hog...

Also curious re: Mito but feel like it's probably enough like a Trigger Riot that I don't need to fucks with one.

Also curious about the HATS909 because it seems more versatile than a lot of cymbal modules.

Anyway, drum modules are life.

Someone pointed out that while the Qu Bit is a big fella, it leaves the knobs open for tweaking making it really good for performance. But I know lot of folks on muffwiggler were turning their noses up at it because it seems to be geared towards a more modern modular musician. There's a whole thread of people complaining about the early version labeling the preset banks as genres. Real goofy thread for an outsider to read. :lol:

And yeah the Mito has a few differences from the trigger riot but overall if the trigger riot is working, the Mito is probably overkill. Excited to see how the hats909 sounds as well. I'll be back in here once all my drum modules have arrived. :hobbes:
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

Ghost Hip

Postby Antlerface » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:42 pm

dozicusmaximus wrote:Goddamn it... I just ordered a Digitone.

By the way, diggin your stuff Antlerface. This is you right?
http://washedrecordings.bandcamp.com/

That's me! Thank you! Congrats on the Digi. All of their stuff is sooo GAS inducing that I've been avoiding it like the plague.

I've got some patches worked out on the Shared System that vibe kinda similarly. Shared System tape to be recorded next Monday, probably out in a month....

Maybe I'll do a Moog/Folktek tape after that, a full system tape after THAT.

WHo the fuck knows? Maybe I'll just get into singing bowls and call it a day.
Antlerface

experienced
experienced

Postby Ghost Hip » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:17 am

Conclusion: Qu Bit Rhythm/Moffenzeef Mito combo is a lot of fun. :joy: Controlling the variation knobs on the Rhythm really adds nice... well, variations. Definitely a lot of HP, but the extra space is nice to get in there and tweak a specific parameter or a general one that effects the entire patch. Also, the pulse width control on the Mito is really fun for triggering VCAs. I am definitely going to be sticking around with modular for awhile. :animal:

Youtube Channel?

Ghost Hip

Postby Strange Tales » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:57 am

All this drum module talk and no one brought up the ALM Akemie's Taiko, the defacto best drum module ever created. Hell it even expands out of drums to just general FM nonsense. I sold my Akemie's Castle due to space constraints, but my Taiko is going to buried with me.

I'm still waiting on my Digitone preorder to go through, didn't realize ordering a day after it was posted would mean I'd have to wait an extra month :(
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ghost Hip » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:34 pm

Strange Tales wrote:All this drum module talk and no one brought up the ALM Akemie's Taiko, the defacto best drum module ever created. Hell it even expands out of drums to just general FM nonsense. I sold my Akemie's Castle due to space constraints, but my Taiko is going to buried with me.

I actually added the dinky taiko after watching an andrew huang vid last week. That and Rings are the two sound modules I'd like to get next.
Youtube Channel?

Ghost Hip

Postby dozicusmaximus » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:39 pm

Looking forward to more of your stuff Ant.

Strange Tales wrote:I'm still waiting on my Digitone preorder to go through, didn't realize ordering a day after it was posted would mean I'd have to wait an extra month :(

I've been checking the Sweetwater site regularly. They had a demo in stock yesterday when I checked. That's why I ordered :yay: Hopefully there is nothing wrong with it. :lol:
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby Strange Tales » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:44 pm

Ghost Hip wrote:
Strange Tales wrote:All this drum module talk and no one brought up the ALM Akemie's Taiko, the defacto best drum module ever created. Hell it even expands out of drums to just general FM nonsense. I sold my Akemie's Castle due to space constraints, but my Taiko is going to buried with me.

I actually added the dinky taiko after watching an andrew huang vid last week. That and Rings are the two sound modules I'd like to get next.

Akemie's Taiko is slightly different from the Dinky's. Akemie's is based off the Yamaha FM chip and will produce all your laser and many other drum sounds.

http://busycircuits.com/alm015/
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear