Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby dozicusmaximus » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:07 am

haha. I don't think the Endorphines stuff is exactly Tonka truck yellow. They do look better in person, more of a goldish kind of thing. But I get it. Not my favorite color scheme, either. They do stand out though!
Tonka trucks always remind me of a scar on my chin. Kind of like every time I see a Pizza Roll I feel the scar on my cheek start glowing. haha.
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby baremountain » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:09 pm

Rene has arrived and WOWZA, this is what I've been looking for in a sequencer. Super playable, and the multiple gate outs/clock ins make it a dream for spicy rhythms. Looks like once my Plaits arrives I'll be pretty happy with my system, at least until the mysterious new Mannequins module (W/) is announced.
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby fever606 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:11 pm

baremountain wrote:at least until the mysterious new Mannequins module (W/) is announced.

:thumb:
fever606

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:46 pm

i'm skeered. i am super happy with my setup as is, the DLD gets in today so YES Chrono Upgrade, Plaits for the wacky extra VCO's will just be.... cake.

but i reallllllly want... well. all the Mannequins stuff. and the new MI's, except for the New Clouds (i just never liked the og one at all. i'm obviously missing something, because everyone loves it. but. nah. not for me), are going to be mad desirable probably.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dark Barn » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:09 pm

I have high hopes for New Clouds.
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dark Barn » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:12 pm

dozicusmaximus wrote: Kind of like every time I see a Pizza Roll I feel the scar on my cheek start glowing. haha.

:lol: maybe the best thing I read today
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Ghost Hip » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:02 pm

lumena wrote:
behndy wrote:also, this is ridiculously cool. Eric did a black faceplate for my Shuttle Control so it doesn't throw off the all black row i have it in.

Let's face it mood is important and things that blow the mood have to go.

That aesthetic is v pleasing. Remind me of some color choices ss/bs Brian makes in his graphics.

I'm getting a second wave of modular buzz, i'm just jacked to go home and figure out new shit. Watching non stop modular videos for a month before buying kind of got me burned out on researching but now that I'm all set up I wanna go deep dive again and figure out what the fuck some of the things I overlooked the first time are.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby kbit » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:14 pm

Ghost Hip wrote:I'm getting a second wave of modular buzz, i'm just jacked to go home and figure out new shit. Watching non stop modular videos for a month before buying kind of got me burned out on researching but now that I'm all set up I wanna go deep dive again and figure out what the fuck some of the things I overlooked the first time are.

Not that I have one, but the CV inputs on Rene always seemed to be a feature not often discussed that could lead to some sweet stuff happening...

I also feel like I'm getting my "second wave" of modular buzz after not being into it for a little bit. Really want to pick up Just Friends next but not sure they are in stock anywhere... hopefully by Easter sale season they will be :evil:

& Bhendy, can I call dibs on yr DLD if you don't feel it? :cool:
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby behndy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:34 pm

lol. of course suh! i have the highest of hopes though. just got it in, plugged up, noise times woot!

...... also, i still want to get a Make Noise Skiff again to put some mixers and control stuff into. but i have no need for mixing at home. i mean, CV pan and volumes is NEAT, but it's not a necessary thing right now. and the mixer i have is perfect for recording for me right now. i'm thinking more for live stuff.

but that's silly right? i haven't even played out yet, so not sure if i'll dig it. and i can grab a little 8 channel mixer (looking at the Mackie VLZ4's, since they have PFL and Aux Send per channel, and still tiny) for like $200 total instead of $250 for the skiff, probably around a g to get 8 channels of euro mixing.... murp?
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lumena » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:51 pm

I think outboard mixers are better unless you have some cv type things you want to do. If you are playing out often there is a mixer at the venue. I had a make noise rosie in my case for a while but I noticed the fidelity not as good as a cheap soundcraft mixer, so in euro fidelity will cost more. Also offboard mixers often have simple eq that can really clean things up mudwise. There is also the send bus which could buffer and shape signals back into your rack for more sound sculpting.
I use one of these to boost/att. To the mixer...dirt cheap and small. http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=1417
Ymmv
FASHION PASSES STYLE REMAINS
lumena

committed
committed

Postby Derelict78 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:13 pm

Does anyone have the expert sleepers disting? I’m thinking this may be a good first module to pair with my mother 32. Thoughts?
aen wrote:Or I'll just use fuzz. Then Ill sound cool regardless.

Achtane wrote:Well, volcanoes are pretty fuckin' cool. Like I guess lava flows are doomy. Slow and still able to to melt your eardrums.
Derelict78

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:41 pm

I've had a Disting MKI since it came out. It's a pretty useful module to learn things on, but it's definitely a "decent at many things, but not great at any one thing" kind of situation
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Derelict78 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:47 pm

My thought behind it is that it may help me decide what to buy after it, and after that and after that. Since it will do so much.
aen wrote:Or I'll just use fuzz. Then Ill sound cool regardless.

Achtane wrote:Well, volcanoes are pretty fuckin' cool. Like I guess lava flows are doomy. Slow and still able to to melt your eardrums.
Derelict78

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:49 pm

Derelict78 wrote:My thought behind it is that it may help me decide what to buy after it, and after that and after that. Since it will do so much.

Yeah, that's what it's actually really good at :lol:
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby lumena » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:09 pm

I just sold one. I had it for about six weeks. It was the least fun module ever, lots of ways to use it and you need a list to keep track of all the settings. It is possible to set up presets but frankly it was just buzz kill to have to stop and find which quantizer does what or try to remember where the delay is.it has close to 64 different machines in there.(mk4) Its small and somewhat awkward with every thing plugged in. 4hp

Ok flame off

On the plus side sound quality is good on the fx, it does several sample playback methods and most of the utilities you might want are there... lfo,sequencer etc. its a very good value of functions for dollars.

It will depend on your method but for me I want to feel my way toward a sound. Ya, i read manuals and am down with software (ableton,ozone,omnisphere etc.) but that is not the reason i have a eurorack. It was too heady for me.
FASHION PASSES STYLE REMAINS
lumena

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear