Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby resincum » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:41 pm

damnit behndo, I already got a TGD cause of you! I really want a Manis Iteritas to get even grimier :success:

I stopped by Perfect Circuit last week and holy shit that place is amazing; overwhelming, but fucking amazing. it was basically empty besides me and Baseck, I wanted to fan boi out so hard but I was too shy :cry: didn't spend time with much besides the vidiot and a spectral resonator. that thing is drone heaven :drool:
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby behndy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:50 pm

resincum wrote:damnit behndo, I already got a TGD cause of you! I really want a Manis Iteritas to get even grimier :success:

I stopped by Perfect Circuit last week and holy shit that place is amazing; overwhelming, but fucking amazing. it was basically empty besides me and Baseck, I wanted to fan boi out so hard but I was too shy :cry: didn't spend time with much besides the vidiot and a spectral resonator. that thing is drone heaven :drool:

lol. i would at least fluff his hair and say hi. he is AWESOME.

jia. next time i'm in LA totes want to spend some time in PCA. there's a tiny modular store in Oakland and Robot Speak in SF, keep meaning to wibble out there.

dood. get one. the Manis is AWESOME. so many angry toans. some really pretty ones too.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby oscillateur » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:19 pm

mr. sound boy king wrote:
Warpsmasher wrote:Once you embrace the notion of a big rack, and choose room and playability over sheer density and feature packing, the Rhythm makes a lot more sense and starts to look good. The BPM display is what really sold me on it, and I like the easy interface, the tweakability of the patterns, and having CV control over every little thing. The mute buttons are also nice for jamming out, on the Rhythm and the Mixology. I think all of their 28 HP line are great modules in their own right, that manage to check all the boxes except 'compact'. Chord and Wave are still on my radar, even though I don't really need either of them.

That makes sense. I still haven't let go of the dream that my Mantis case is my only case ever.

Yeah, I'm staying at 7U/84HP too. It looks like many people here are about maximalism / adding voices and voices and voices. I'm more interested in sound texture than complexity I think, and the thing I need to work on more is overall structure, which is why I have a Teletype in my near future (once I actually take photos of my Folktek Mescaline, list it for sale and sell it).

I modified my long term plans to incorporate an ER-301, which is a complex thing but will actually make the "one case only" setup even more efficient as it can be a multitrack recorder and a looper, which means I won't need external things for that. So, the 7u/84HP case, some small controllers (quNexus, Kommander), some things to play with Mikrophonie's contact mic and maybe a pedal or two and everything fits in the case's gig bag... :)

Btw, that means I'll probably have a BIA for sale soon, and a uVCF, Maths and STO too I think.
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dozicusmaximus » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:11 pm

I too will be sticking with my 7u 84hp. I wanted a noise/drone box and I think I can get a lot of crazy textures with it. The Digitakt/Digitone, Blofeld, monosynth, and guitar/bass should provide everything I need for a long time. Unless I decide I want an analog poly. Oh, I do need a few mics for some occasional vocals and guitar at some point.

After the recent splurge on the Digitone and circuit bent monosynth my gear lust is pretty much 0%. Which is nice. So I hope to be on the internet less and not looking at gear demos. Unless it's for patching ideas. It's time to seperate "Ooh, that sounds cool I need to buy it." And instead think, "How can I do that with what I have?"
Basically learn my way around my shit.
Last edited by dozicusmaximus on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby behndy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:18 pm

i mean, i don't want to go HUGE, but. yeah. small things that do what they do well like the Twin Waves? yes please.

that said, swapping the AJH Mini Mod back in for the Even VCO. because sounds WAY better.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby worra » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:04 am

behndy wrote:i mean, i don't want to go HUGE, but. yeah.

You have 18U.....don't you? :snax:

I've also really tried to keep myself in my 6U/104 case, and it's working well so far. I have an extra skiff that I will probably list for sale so I can be rid of the temptation to put stuff in it. I feel like there are SO many possibilities in 6U/104, it's a great size. Sure, I can't try all the new cool modules all the time, but really, most of us can't. I'm lucky to live close to a store where I can try before I buy (Switched On), so that helps keep my GAS at bay. That said, I'm swapping out my SMR and my Cursus Iteritas for the SWR the moment it hits the market.

I realized I'm not using the planar as a controller now that I have Rene, so I'm going to lose it and my 3x VCA in favor of the tangle quartet, which should also free me up about 12hp. Not sure what to fill it with yet.
https://foldednote.bandcamp.com
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:20 am

loooove the Tangle.

lol. but.... but..... 18u doesn't really feel like....that much? it's. just..... one a half cases? about half of one row of the 6u doober is set aside for the Swarm too.

i woullllld love to have enough room to have 20 to 30 hp sized modules for most everything. the knob grabbin space would be NIFTY.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. sound boy king » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:32 am

oscillateur wrote:
mr. sound boy king wrote:
Warpsmasher wrote:Once you embrace the notion of a big rack, and choose room and playability over sheer density and feature packing, the Rhythm makes a lot more sense and starts to look good. The BPM display is what really sold me on it, and I like the easy interface, the tweakability of the patterns, and having CV control over every little thing. The mute buttons are also nice for jamming out, on the Rhythm and the Mixology. I think all of their 28 HP line are great modules in their own right, that manage to check all the boxes except 'compact'. Chord and Wave are still on my radar, even though I don't really need either of them.

That makes sense. I still haven't let go of the dream that my Mantis case is my only case ever.

Yeah, I'm staying at 7U/84HP too. It looks like many people here are about maximalism / adding voices and voices and voices. I'm more interested in sound texture than complexity I think, and the thing I need to work on more is overall structure, which is why I have a Teletype in my near future (once I actually take photos of my Folktek Mescaline, list it for sale and sell it).

I modified my long term plans to incorporate an ER-301, which is a complex thing but will actually make the "one case only" setup even more efficient as it can be a multitrack recorder and a looper, which means I won't need external things for that. So, the 7u/84HP case, some small controllers (quNexus, Kommander), some things to play with Mikrophonie's contact mic and maybe a pedal or two and everything fits in the case's gig bag... :)

Btw, that means I'll probably have a BIA for sale soon, and a uVCF, Maths and STO too I think.

Nice. The Teletype looks bonkers. Are you planning to do live coding work with it?

+ I've pretty much permanently mated a Sonic Potions LXR to the Mantis case. Trigger outs on the thing = tasty and bouncy.
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby behndy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:10 am

Muse FTW wrote:
behndy wrote:verrrrrrrry cool suh!

quick FLXS1 arps into Manis Iteritas jammy thing -

Manis so good. Damn you, making me all gassy.

right? that thing is GRIMY. really digging it.

i.... need more delay. watching vidjas, i'm thinking about the 4ms Dual Looping Delay a lot. anything better to check out for no more than 20 hp?

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ruiner » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:35 am

Nice one Behndy! Also... didn't you want a Rainmaker? I'm about to be selling mine so just throwing that out there. :animal:
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Muse FTW » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:40 am

behndy wrote:
right? that thing is GRIMY. really digging it.

i.... need more delay. watching vidjas, i'm thinking about the 4ms Dual Looping Delay a lot. anything better to check out for no more than 20 hp?

I miss the DLD I sold. Magneto does a lot of great things but the DLD had some versatility that I miss (2 independent channels, the ability to freeze and reverse). You'll be happy with one.
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:45 pm

Ruiner wrote:Nice one Behndy! Also... didn't you want a Rainmaker? I'm about to be selling mine so just throwing that out there. :animal:

thanks bebe!

murrr. i DO, but a Rainmaker is down the road a bit. i want to flesh out the 12u till it feels full and can fit 20 hp at most. lol. and, i can't afford a Rainy right now.

got a pm out to 2 Muffs Peoples. WAITING.

My Muse Is Liono - nice! yeah, Magneto looks neat but need another delay more right now. DivKid's vidja on the DLD has me pretty. durn. MOIST.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Muse FTW » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:49 pm

I think I might be having another mass exodus sale of modules soon.

I just bought a Rev2 with the fruits of the first exodus. Hardware polysynths are my crack.

Maybe I'll go Pro 2 next to use as a master controller because of its CV functionality...
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dozicusmaximus » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:54 pm

I have definitely been eyeing the Rev2 for my one and only analog poly. But there are some cool VAs out there that are still appealing. I'll know in a couple of months after putting some time into the Blofeld if I feel like I need to go down that road.

How do you like the Rev2 so far? How are the effects?
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby askashrub » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:24 pm

Anyone in here rocking a Just Friends? In general modular is the most challenging and gratifying way I make music, and the Just Friends is at the top of that heap. I'm really starting to get into it now with self-patching and it feels mighty good to feel like I have a handle on it.
askashrub

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear