Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Thu May 10, 2018 3:27 pm

It really comes down to how well designed a given circuit is. Sure it might only be designed to take 20 mA, but if there's no protection and there's a short, then you're SOL. Typically it seems like most of the mainstream Euro stuff is well designed and will only take what it needs. In fact, most of your current draw typically comes at start up from digital modules or when LEDs are really bright. Anyways, I'd assume there's a spec for current draw on the circuits you're DIY-ing, so as long as you have a clean build you should be okay.
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby Ruiner » Thu May 10, 2018 3:42 pm

I just started an online series teaching modular to n00bs. This is my first 60 second episode:

Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Muse FTW » Thu May 10, 2018 4:01 pm

Manis on the way. Still thinking about committing to the Mimetic Digitalis; waiting to see some more demos/getting some feedback from other users.

Has anyone here used the CBA pedals with CV control? I'm gonna try that this weekend too. Really want to expand my CBA roster (currently have Warped Vinyl 2, Tonal Recall (OG), and Spectre (blue knobs) but want the Warped Vinyl Hifi, Red Knob Tonal Recall, and Brothers before the Thermae comes in).

Ruiner wrote:I just started an online series teaching modular to n00bs. This is my first 60 second episode:

Subbed!
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby fever606 » Thu May 10, 2018 6:54 pm

Just a little drone-y thing with the Mannequinses and uBurst...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BinT3_bhVco/
fever606

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Thu May 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Muse FTW wrote:Manis on the way. Still thinking about committing to the Mimetic Digitalis; waiting to see some more demos/getting some feedback from other users.

i'm still diving into it, but diiiiiig. setting up my music loots right now, can finally record this idea out then repatch. MORE EXPLORATIONS.

Ruiner wrote:I just started an online series teaching modular to n00bs. This is my first 60 second episode:

nifty! you SEXY LITTLE WELL COIFED BEAST.

so..... i've had the same monitors foreverrree. Alesis M1 Mk2's and....i dunno. sort of a love/hate relationship. they have a weird de-emphasis on the bass and for some damn reason emphasis the drums, so if i take a mix to the car it is washed out with bass and drums are missing.... but i know them super well. so, and i'm suuuuper basic at mixy skeelz, but i know how to offset their lies.

but i want some wayyyy smaller and lighter speakers to put on small shelves at the right monitoring height space thing zone. don't mind and have room for a sub if that's a necessary compliment, but any recommendations on what powered near field buggeriboos to look at? i know nothing about monitor options. the Rokits? hate the yellow, but are they good?
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby behndy » Thu May 10, 2018 8:04 pm

so far the PreSonis Eris E5's seem well respected? they're half the weight of the Alesis's i have now, i think a bit smaller as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Presonus-Eris-E5 ... 00DP1RDHY/

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Thu May 10, 2018 8:15 pm

I'm also interested in what monitors you guys are using as I'm in the market for some too. I've done minimal research and it sounds like Rokits are good, but bass heavy; Yamaha HS50s are super flat and have mixed/subjective reviews; HS7s and HS8s sound really nice, but are more expensive. Not really sure which way I want to go. Kind of tempted by the HS50s, but they seem more ideal for mixing and less ideal for actually listening. Might just go for the Rokits, but also hate the yellow... :facepalm:

Also, been messing around with the Field Kit FX and it's super fun. Kind of weird because all the effects only output the wet signal. They really should have included a mult in it so that you could split your dry signal easier. Not a big deal since I have some stackcables, but could be an issue for some people. I just put together a little patch looping a classical radio station. It got ambient and weird fast :animal:
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Muse FTW » Thu May 10, 2018 8:21 pm

I believe I have a pair of Yamaha HS8's or HS7's. I honestly can't remember which ones I got but I'll check later. They're great!
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby kbit » Thu May 10, 2018 9:49 pm

fever606 wrote:Just a little drone-y thing with the Mannequinses and uBurst...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BinT3_bhVco/

Listened to this many times in a row. Love the textures you're getting.

Also on the topic of monitors: I don't have a proper pair but this video has made me have my eye in those JBLs when I'm ready to take the plunge.

D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dark Barn » Thu May 10, 2018 9:55 pm

I have Rokit 6s that I’m happy with. I usually write/record with headphones and jam/check mixes with the Rokits. I have never compared them to anything else in the price range although a friend once brought over some more expensive Adams that did sound more neutral.
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Warpsmasher » Thu May 10, 2018 10:34 pm

Rokits also come in white or red if you can't do the yellow, you just have to look around for them. I've been using the Rokit 5s with the 10" subwoofer for around 5 years now. The subwoofer is a wild beast that must be tamed with an iron fist, and it is tricky to find a comfortable balance between it and the little 5s. Without the subwoofer the 5s sound really good and balanced, but it's a small sound. The subwoofer takes care of that like a sledgehammer in place of a flyswatter, so they are a bit outmatched. There is a definitive ideal volume/level for this setup and a really good sound can be achieved, but I still want to move up to the 6 or 8" monitors to get the mids moving a bit more air and broaden that ideal volume range.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Thu May 10, 2018 11:07 pm

i think i'm going to grab those Presonus's. a bud that i totes trust his experience actions recommended them before i mentioned i was looking at them.

Amazon is eassssy for returns, so going that way soon as i sell any loots.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Deltaphoenix » Fri May 11, 2018 8:00 am

The JBL LSR SERIES ARE DOPE.

I have the 8s but the 5s are good too. Really even frequency response and they just plain sound really good for a cheaper price.
behndy wrote:i want to have dirty sex with each and every mod here. in their poopcunt. while squirls shoot out of my dick and tinier squirrels shoot out of THEIR dicks in an Escher-esque recursive love filth pile.

My Band: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/capturetherapture

My Solo Electronic Stuff:http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/deltaphoenix
Deltaphoenix

Supporter
Supporter

Postby worra » Fri May 11, 2018 9:03 am

I have the baby version of those Presonus ones, the Eris 4.5. While lacking in a bit of "punch" due to their size, I've found them to be nicely detailed, and have a pretty flat response, which I like.
https://foldednote.bandcamp.com
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby chrisdermo » Fri May 11, 2018 9:53 am

MrNovember wrote:I'm also interested in what monitors you guys are using as I'm in the market for some too. I've done minimal research and it sounds like Rokits are good, but bass heavy; Yamaha HS50s are super flat and have mixed/subjective reviews; HS7s and HS8s sound really nice, but are more expensive. Not really sure which way I want to go. Kind of tempted by the HS50s, but they seem more ideal for mixing and less ideal for actually listening. Might just go for the Rokits, but also hate the yellow... :facepalm:

Also, been messing around with the Field Kit FX and it's super fun. Kind of weird because all the effects only output the wet signal. They really should have included a mult in it so that you could split your dry signal easier. Not a big deal since I have some stackcables, but could be an issue for some people. I just put together a little patch looping a classical radio station. It got ambient and weird fast :animal:

Old Rokit 5's and old V8's - they seem to redesign these models super often :idk: I've always used them, never had a problem.

Can't wait to get my field kit, seen people making some awesome stuff with them already! I'm backer 619 though :picard: Gonna attempt to bananafy the cv ins on mine for maximal Bug /Ciat compatibility. I wanna know how to unlock that phaser easter egg mode, even if it's a crap digital phaser it's something I've been missing in my system for a while.
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear