Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby popvulture » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:03 pm

On the topic of wants, who has or has had a Rene? As I'm planning on filling out a 104hp skiff, I'll most likely be doing most of my more straightforward sequencing with a DAW or my BSP, but I'm way into the idea of a more esoteric/weird/more random sounding sequencer. The Rene seems to be the coolest of this sort that I've come across, though I know there are plenty of others unknown to me out there that cover that same turf. Who likes it? Or maybe something you like better?
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Inconuucl » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:52 pm

popvulture wrote:On the topic of wants, who has or has had a Rene? As I'm planning on filling out a 104hp skiff, I'll most likely be doing most of my more straightforward sequencing with a DAW or my BSP, but I'm way into the idea of a more esoteric/weird/more random sounding sequencer. The Rene seems to be the coolest of this sort that I've come across, though I know there are plenty of others unknown to me out there that cover that same turf. Who likes it? Or maybe something you like better?

I'm always in love with a Random source -> Attn -> Quantizer -> CV looper. Either separately (Brainseed is your best friend) or combined in a module like the Turing Machine.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Muse FTW » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:33 am

Dad Dick 2999 wrote:So this thread is giant, and I don't think this has come up (nor will I hunt):

Anyone using a shit ton of triggers/gates? Which modules are good for that? Phonogene, Peaks, LxD, Radio Music are all on my rack or radar already. Building a synth largely run from complex trigger patterns.

So I am generating a ton of triggers and gates, mainly from Pamela's New Workout, Eloquencer, Varigate, etc...
The destinations are as follows:

Pamela's New Workout is going to Morphagene (sometimes to trigger play/record), DLD (to clock the delays, the holds, the reverse), Clouds (to trigger the freeze), and providing clocks to sequencers (Ansible, Metropolis). Sometimes I ping a filter with it, too.

Eloquencer's gates (besides the ones going to voices/filters) are just in charge of bass drum for now (BD808) but I might switch it to controlling Plonk soon because it has so many more inputs. When they go to filters I put them through Maths first to give it an envelope, even though it has some wave functionally.

Varigate goes to the rest of my drum modules (Tip Top open/closed hats, snare, Dinky's Taiko).

IMO if you aren't going for drum modules, the best destinations for gates and triggers are sampler/delay modules (capturing sound and playing them back at fixed ratios), filters for pinging (Three Sisters and Belgrad are amazing for this), and any VCA with the input for automating the volume knob since you can feed it a sound, then let blips through.
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:40 am

Inconuucl wrote:

Great performance. Meng Qi (not his actual name though I think) is very much about creating electronic instruments rather than just modules or collections of modules, and it shows. He's using his own Voltage Memory module pretty well, too :).
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:01 am

i know it has no modular (YET), but mannnnn i love the Digitakt already. it just makes sense the way it's laid out. the few things i had to look up where all OHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh i see why you did that. and i don't really know anything about it yet. soooooo looking forward to learning it like BUTTS.

Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby popvulture » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:04 am

Yeah I find their stuff really intuitive. Love my Rytm. Sure you'll get a lot out of that thing!

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby behndy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:43 am

popvulture wrote:Yeah I find their stuff really intuitive. Love my Rytm. Sure you'll get a lot out of that thing!

lol. murrrr. i always..... hated Elektron. because i LOVE what they make, and lusted after a MachineDrum for yearrrrrrs. had to save for like 2 yeara as a young'in to get one, finally did and... yuck. sounds amaziiiiing, people do awesome stuff with them, but that interface. same with the SidStation i had. just. no.

but this is beauuuuuuuuuutifulllllllllll. and makes so much sense how it's laid out. if the new stuff is more like this to interact with, i'm not saying no to an Analog 4 at some point.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby popvulture » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:54 am

Ahhhh gotcha. Never got a chance to play with the older gen stuff, though I always loved stuff I heard done with the Machinedrum. If the Digitakt is anything like the Rytm, there's definitely a bit of menu diving, albeit very tolerable. The only thing that sort of annoys me is the system of saving projects.

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby behndy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:57 am

so far i don't mind the menus. the saving.... i THINK i know what's going on, but i still do a backup file every time something neat happens. JUST. IN. CASE.

oh man the old stuff was OBTUSE. and the fucking SidStation? crappy, unintuitive, Elektron interface with a tiny screen and only an OH MAN WE'RE QUIRKY landline telephone pad to navigate it?

pffffffft. eat a dick. eat a whole BOWL of dicks.

here. is. a. SPOON.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Strange Tales » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:10 pm

popvulture wrote:On the topic of wants, who has or has had a Rene? As I'm planning on filling out a 104hp skiff, I'll most likely be doing most of my more straightforward sequencing with a DAW or my BSP, but I'm way into the idea of a more esoteric/weird/more random sounding sequencer. The Rene seems to be the coolest of this sort that I've come across, though I know there are plenty of others unknown to me out there that cover that same turf. Who likes it? Or maybe something you like better?

Just got a Rene again (haven't been able to use it though, life is punching me in the wang pretty hard). If you want to break outside of a normal sequencer you really aren't going to find something with as much freedom as this offers. Should be getting my monitors soon which will let me actually record/mix the current patch I have going.

Check what power supplies you get though. There is a Muffs thread on it. Thing is very touchy with certain power bricks.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:34 pm

oscillateur wrote:
Inconuucl wrote:

Great performance. Meng Qi (not his actual name though I think) is very much about creating electronic instruments rather than just modules or collections of modules, and it shows. He's using his own Voltage Memory module pretty well, too :).

This is great! :love:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby popvulture » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Strange Tales wrote:Check what power supplies you get though. There is a Muffs thread on it. Thing is very touchy with certain power bricks.

Definitely trying to take this into account on all modules... being a noob, it's the one thing about Euro that gives me a bit of the willies, just scared I'm gonna fry something. My skiff's Make Noise though, so I'd hope like hell it'd work with that one, haha...

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dozicusmaximus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:59 pm

God damn it. I wanted to get a Rene in the future. But was going to expand with another Intellijel 7u, so they can link together. So much for that idea.
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby resincum » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:15 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:
oscillateur wrote:
Inconuucl wrote:

This is great! :love:

for real! thanks for sharing, it inspired me to get freaky with my Ears :)

this demo brings the GASSSSSS :drool:

soooo juicy. going to be on the look out for one used (Crosses fingers). that leaves me with 12hp.. I was thinking of getting a Blinds/Veils but a crossfader/panner/mixer thing would be cool, too. I probably don't have enough modulation to make that worthwhile tho
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Invisible Man » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:34 pm

Inconuucl wrote:

I'm always in love with a Random source -> Attn -> Quantizer -> CV looper. Either separately (Brainseed is your best friend) or combined in a module like the Turing Machine.

Yes. Turing Machine is a compositional tool, not a module. OK, it's a module too, but yeah.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear