Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby behndy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:06 pm

i always thought rhythm generators were kinda silly but i've beeb having a BLAST with the Marbles Grids and really adore everything i've had from NoiseEng soooooo...... got a Numeric Repeater en route. woot.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:12 pm

I just posted this in Nora's thread, but'll post it here too :hobbes: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLD65stinlA
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby behndy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:16 pm

that.... is so freaking beautiful. i love you.

also, yeah. i want to do way more variation next time i make noise live. this is how the Cherry Poppins turned out -

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby oscillateur » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:21 pm

Hahah, that cat eats a bit too much but awesome video :).

From the video description :
"The signal path: Poes rings the service Bell for food, the microphone picks up the sound, which then goes through a stereo volume pedal (it's for attenuating the chewing sounds). The key module in the patch is the Make Noise Maths, it acts as an envelope follower, and controls the filter sweep and the sound of the Erica Synths Black Wavetable VCO."
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:34 pm

behndy wrote:that.... is so freaking beautiful. i love you.

oscillateur wrote:Hahah, that cat eats a bit too much but awesome video :).

Yeah, that cat's gonna get fat if that guy keeps feeding her like that. :lol: :idk: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby behndy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:46 am

wooooooit. have 3 new NoiseEng modulars coming in as soon as the black panels hit them, so been playing with Just NE results (i mean, with BitBox for drum samples and Comb/Sonveskañ on the drums) -

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby greyscales » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:38 am

What is everybody using for quantizing?

I'm thinking a Disting could be a decent choice for me because I don't necessarily always need a quantizer and it would be nice to have something versatile in my skiff.
But I could also see just snatching a 2hp in a pinch. Just not a fan of their panel layouts (some labels are above the jacks, some below).
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby worra » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:18 am

I tried an ADDAC but it was too complex for me. Right now I'm just using Marbles and Rene which have quant built in but I wouldn't mind grabbing something small so that I could use more voltage sources for pitch.
https://foldednote.bandcamp.com
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby KoTh » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:27 am

uOrnament&crime
KoTh

interested
interested

Postby MrNovember » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:58 am

I use both the O_C and Disting mk1 for pretty much the same reason; when I need a quantizer, I've got one available, but when I don't there's tons of other modes available.

greyscales wrote:Just not a fan of their panel layouts (some labels are above the jacks, some below).

I didn't even notice how much this drove me nuts until I kept plugging into the wrong jack on the Mother 32 (insert naughty joke here). All the knob labels are below the knobs, but jack labels are above the jack. I don't know why but that messes with my head too much
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby kbit » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:33 pm

greyscales wrote:What is everybody using for quantizing?

Outside of Rene, I built a Penrose from Sonic Potions and I like it a lot. Having buttons in a keyboard layout to select intervals is so much easier than remembering preset scales, easy to change on the fly, and I can't tell you how useful it is to only have 2-4 notes selected rather than a whole scale.

It also has a sample and hold built in, and the gate out still fires a gate every time a note changes when you don't have a anything in the trigger input, useful for generative melodies. Sometimes I need to double press a button and the LEDs can be difficult to see in the sunlight, but those are my only gripes and they're pretty minor.

Relatively easy build, too. I thought I had an issue with the LEDs at first but it was because I forget to solder a row of the push-buttons :facepalm:
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby greyscales » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:05 pm

MrNovember wrote:I use both the O_C and Disting mk1 for pretty much the same reason; when I need a quantizer, I've got one available, but when I don't there's tons of other modes available.

greyscales wrote:Just not a fan of their panel layouts (some labels are above the jacks, some below).

I didn't even notice how much this drove me nuts until I kept plugging into the wrong jack on the Mother 32 (insert naughty joke here). All the knob labels are below the knobs, but jack labels are above the jack. I don't know why but that messes with my head too much

I had to check mine because I know it would bother me, but Mother32 is consistent - both jacks and knobs have labels above. But with how tightly packed the 32 jacks are, sometimes I have to double check what is plugged in to what.

kbit wrote:
Outside of Rene, I built a Penrose from Sonic Potions and I like it a lot. Having buttons in a keyboard layout to select intervals is so much easier than remembering preset scales, easy to change on the fly, and I can't tell you how useful it is to only have 2-4 notes selected rather than a whole scale.

It also has a sample and hold built in, and the gate out still fires a gate every time a note changes when you don't have a anything in the trigger input, useful for generative melodies. Sometimes I need to double press a button and the LEDs can be difficult to see in the sunlight, but those are my only gripes and they're pretty minor.

Relatively easy build, too. I thought I had an issue with the LEDs at first but it was because I forget to solder a row of the push-buttons :facepalm:

Price/feature set isn't bad at all and DIY can be cool but after getting a Dreadbox kit with wrong/missing parts, I'm a little hesitant to get kits from EU. It's such a pain to get the parts sorted out and stuff can get lost.
Rene is such a neat sequencer. Might have to bite one day. Cartesian sequencing might justify my geography degree.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:55 pm

greyscales wrote:
MrNovember wrote:I use both the O_C and Disting mk1 for pretty much the same reason; when I need a quantizer, I've got one available, but when I don't there's tons of other modes available.

I had to check mine because I know it would bother me, but Mother32 is consistent - both jacks and knobs have labels above. But with how tightly packed the 32 jacks are, sometimes I have to double check what is plugged in to what.

I had to go check and you're right. I think I was just thinking that they were inconsistent because I kept plugging stuff into the wrong jacks. Apparently I'm just stupid :idk: :lol:
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby oscillateur » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:14 pm

Now that I have a Teletype and Txi expander for 4 additional CV inputs I'll definitely use these if I need a quantizer unrelated to what's going on in the TT.
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby kbit » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:21 pm

greyscales wrote:
kbit wrote:

Price/feature set isn't bad at all and DIY can be cool but after getting a Dreadbox kit with wrong/missing parts, I'm a little hesitant to get kits from EU. It's such a pain to get the parts sorted out and stuff can get lost.
Rene is such a neat sequencer. Might have to bite one day. Cartesian sequencing might justify my geography degree.

Synthcube has them, they're in the US. Out of stock at the moment, though :cry:
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear