Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby greyscales » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:18 pm

I released my first electronic track today: https://anxioussocialite.bandcamp.com

Pretty straightforward techno jam. All sounds except the pad (which is Rev2) are Plaits in one form or another. Metropolis and Stages are doing most of the sequencing, with an OP-1 playing some samples of Plaits. I tried to do as little processing as possible, mostly compression, light eq balancing, and a little reverb/delay on the drums.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:42 pm

very cool suh! i like the slidey bits a lot!

murf. still waiting on the Dual FX to get here (international tracking. SO LITTLE INFO.), Voltage Blocks should be here Wednesday or Thursday, micro Plaits about the same time, this us where i'll be at (waiting on the 1uo_C's to be available too) -

moved the reverb tank inside, if it's still too noisy i'm'a ditch that 1u for another couple VCAs. have an Ekdahl Moistie Boi coming in. we still like those? always been intriguuuuuuued.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby behndy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:12 am

also, the Filter 8 is AWESOME. sounds really good, but i love the phased outputs. and the Hold. on Rings here, triggering the Hold with Marbles, mixing some phased outs for the delay'y effect -

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpgGDQbBHOS

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Muse FTW » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:54 pm

In case anyone else was wondering about it, Make Noise is apparently having some issues sourcing vactrols (what's the deal with everyone having trouble finding suitable vactrols lol) which is the cause of delay for the QMMG returning again in a wider release, as well as some of their bigger systems (namely the B&G Shared System). Retailers are still hoping to get modules like QMMG and systems in from Make Noise before the end of the year but it still depends on the vactrols.
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:06 pm

Vactrols are made with cadmium, which is a public health nightmare. They're on their way out and will probably never really come back, unfortunately. Beyond the synth world, I don't really know of any other widely used application for them anymore that can't be don't by some other IC. In most cases, op amps and VCAs do a better job than vactrols from a circuit perspective. Honestly, I was surprised Make Noise decided to bring back the QMMG.
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby worra » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:16 pm

Speaking of Make Noise, got a DPO in today (straight trade for my unused E352). Gonna play this with the Cs-L side by side and keep one of them.
https://foldednote.bandcamp.com
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Muse FTW » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:57 pm

yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:Vactrols are made with cadmium, which is a public health nightmare. They're on their way out and will probably never really come back, unfortunately. Beyond the synth world, I don't really know of any other widely used application for them anymore that can't be don't by some other IC. In most cases, op amps and VCAs do a better job than vactrols from a circuit perspective. Honestly, I was surprised Make Noise decided to bring back the QMMG.

Wow, I had no idea. I'm surprised many manufactures are sticking with it in their designs. I know Rabid Elephant just had a whole kerfuffle about sourcing their vactrols and increasing the price because of it. Interesting stuff.

I'm gonna try and wait until the black friday/holiday sales to pick up some more Make Noise ish, but damn do I wish they sold their separate modules in B&G.
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:48 am

Natural Gate doesn't actually use vactrols. They raised their prices because of changing to a military/aerospace/medical grade contract manufacturer.
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby baremountain » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:15 am

worra wrote:Speaking of Make Noise, got a DPO in today (straight trade for my unused E352). Gonna play this with the Cs-L side by side and keep one of them.

That's a pretty dang good trade! I love my DPO, the array of sounds is endless. I'm sure you'll have some vidja on yr insta soon but feel free to shoot me some outtakes of this shootout. I've only recently started wondering what the world of complex oscs is like outside of the DPO, but my Make Noise-lovin' self is highly unlikely to change course.

yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:Vactrols are made with cadmium, which is a public health nightmare. They're on their way out and will probably never really come back, unfortunately. Beyond the synth world, I don't really know of any other widely used application for them anymore that can't be don't by some other IC. In most cases, op amps and VCAs do a better job than vactrols from a circuit perspective. Honestly, I was surprised Make Noise decided to bring back the QMMG.

This matches my understanding of the topic, but I'm curious - an LPG (VCA & ACF) doesn't derive any of its properties from a vactrol, right? Vactrols are just the simplest (ie lowest part count) method of converting a pulse/trigger into a crude AD envelope, which then opens up the LPG?
This would certainly explain why Make Noise's own op-amp based LPG lacks their ubiquitous 'strike' input, but I'd be curious to have this verified by someone with an actual education in electrical engineering.
If I'm correct about all this then the real magic comes from the LED's response to a ping, and any coupled light sensor would theoretically be able to recreate the vactrol effect, but it's a matter of parts count (no physical materials work as well as CdS arrays, and digital sensors just require too many bits).
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby greyscales » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:26 pm

For no reason in particular I started looking into the ER-101 and now I'm wondering if it would be any better for my rack than Metropolis. I still really enjoy Metropolis but could benefit from multiple tracks/lanes of CV and the workflow seems pretty efficient. The hype doesn't seem for nothing after watching a couple of demos.

Definitely need to do more research though, seems like a very deep module.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:44 pm

fucking vactrols man. MYSTERIES TO ME.

also, this is way too silly and dumb but beautiful and FUN -

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpkpjl0FhJ0

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Inconuucl » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:24 am

Playing around for hours in VCV has added fuel to my fantasy modular grids rack. :lol:

The intent here to to make a randomized groovebox which I can then sample and mangle on my ipad/computer. :snax:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:48 am

That's a pretty well thought out rack. The only thing I might change there is dropping the AVert (you already have a lot of attenuverters in the Quadratt and Maths) and adding something like the BRST or Div

Edit: well, I'd also swap out Maths for another Tides and a full sized Plaits, but that's more so personal preference and Mutable fanboyism
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Inconuucl » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:40 am

MrNovember wrote:That's a pretty well thought out rack. The only thing I might change there is dropping the AVert (you already have a lot of attenuverters in the Quadratt and Maths) and adding something like the BRST or Div

Edit: well, I'd also swap out Maths for another Tides and a full sized Plaits, but that's more so personal preference and Mutable fanboyism

Good thoughts with the divider that way I can divide the main clock out from the marbles without shifting the rhythms. :snax:

The Maths is there not just because it fits with my concept but in case (more like when the time comes lol) I want to expand I know that'll be a module I'll want there. I use a Befaco Rampage on vcv since that's what it has. I'm also keeping an eye out on that Fraps Tools Falistri since that looks swell.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. sound boy king » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:18 pm

Took delivery of an IFM SPROTT filter module. It's fuckin' nuts, man. None of the filters act like regular and least regular of all is the "chaos pass" filter which turns everything into a beautiful menace. I highly recommend it for experimentalists.
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear