Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby Strange Tales » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:46 am

behndy wrote:i'm thinking about grabbing one again now that they're so tiny, does the smaller screen size bother you?

It uses the same screen as the regular O&C, 1.3". It's just all the blank surface area on the PCB is condensed and used.

Dark Barn wrote:
Strange Tales wrote:
Dark Barn wrote:Funny because I really want a Rene right now.

I got you fam (if you really want to buy).

Good lookin out! We’ll talk soon. I have to see what Black Friday does to me first.

You and I both. :thumb: :lol:
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby behndy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 am

Strange Tales wrote:
behndy wrote:i'm thinking about grabbing one again now that they're so tiny, does the smaller screen size bother you?

It uses the same screen as the regular O&C, 1.3". It's just all the blank surface area on the PCB is condensed and used.

huh. well. that's.... awesome. i did like some of the one i had, just felt like a waste of space for how often i did use it. interessstinnnng.

thanks!
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dark Barn » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 am

Edit: Strange Tales beat me to it.

I think both versions have the same size screen. Just the layout is smaller, and I believe mounting the screen is more technical if you are going to DIY one.

I want one for the space savings but since it’s only HP and I currently have free space it’s down on the list.
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:31 pm

mr. sound boy king wrote:I love Voltage Block. The interplay between programmed sequences and live control rules. Random sequence mode rules. I'd probably get annoyed trying to input regular melodies but it's great for off kilter / randomized patterns. I doubt I'll ever replace mine unless some kind of ultimate version 2 appears.

jia. i mean. i love the IDEA of VBlocks. mebbe i just haven't hit Epiphany Point with her yet. more time. i INVEST.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby baremountain » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:55 am

Ordered the RML Guitar Pedal Interface doodle yesterday so I can free up a send/return on muh mixer & start playing with FX, which I haven't been doing much at all. Stoked to see where this takes me. I feel like a patchulator-based tabletop setup is the ultimate way to do this. As an added bonus I'll also be able to boost guitar or my OP-1/field recordings/other synths to modular level & mess with that.

Patchulator plans for anyone interested in techy details:
NSFW: show
So I'll have both sends and returns from the GPI hooked up to 2 of the Patchulator's bays. Of the remaining six bays, four will be 1 or 2 effects each, and the other two will be used to add inputs into the synth, while one output will be permanently wired to a tuner. Should be super hot. Need a good tabletop pedal power supply now though :facepalm:
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:19 am

Rml still looks like a poor man's swestapol:
http://xaocdevices.com/main/sewastopol/

Xoac has a V2 coming out soonish, really excited for that.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:39 am

I've been trying to sell my Sewastopol for awhile, but no one seems interested. Its a great module and it's really useful, but I don't have enough space for it in my small setup and I have all of its functions duplicated in the Field Kit and Ears
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby dozicusmaximus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:54 am

Figured I'd add a few of my shitty videos to add some more sounds to this thread. These are from late September and early October. Not good quality and I still don't know what I'm doing.
My recent "drone" stuff has been getting heavier/bassier, so I really need to plug into a mixer and figure out how to record stuff that way soon. These were a little lighter so it's not too bad. I mean I have all the stuff I need to do it but I'm lazy and just want to play with with my "wiggle board" (as my roommate calls it).

But to add to the gear side, I have the Ieaskul F. Mobenthey lineup coming my way. Shit is going to get noisey and chaotic.

Also the Stereo Field box looks pretty sweet. Definitely interested in a touch control box.
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby behndy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:30 pm

oh FUCK yes.

Dusty pointed me to a dooder on Muffs that listed a Sampleslicer. contacted and paid QUICK LIKE, said he's traveling for Thanksgiving, should be out Monday.

so. much. YES.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby dozicusmaximus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:36 pm

I was looking up analog oscilloscopes so I could get some cool visuals going when goofing around. Also maybe learn something. Then I came across video synthesis... Oh boy... I've heard of the LZX stuff before but didn't really research it. I reminds me of the ideas I had in my head when I was in a psychedelic rock band. I wanted to make a compilation video of 50s sci-fi movies and add effects to them for live shows. Well I had to leave the band and I never really got any further than the idea. I had done a little research but that's a whole other world of new lingo and high dollar equipment I'm not ready for.
3trins looks cool and possibly affordable. LZX has some new thing too, that you can plug your stuff into.

Anyway, going to pick up an analog oscilloscope soon.
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby MrNovember » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:46 pm

dozicusmaximus wrote:I was looking up analog oscilloscopes so I could get some cool visuals going when goofing around. Also maybe learn something. Then I came across video synthesis... Oh boy... I've heard of the LZX stuff before but didn't really research it. I reminds me of the ideas I had in my head when I was in a psychedelic rock band. I wanted to make a compilation video of 50s sci-fi movies and add effects to them for live shows. Well I had to leave the band and I never really got any further than the idea. I had done a little research but that's a whole other world of new lingo and high dollar equipment I'm not ready for.
3trins looks cool and possibly affordable. LZX has some new thing too, that you can plug your stuff into.

Anyway, going to pick up an analog oscilloscope soon.

Yeah, I'm planning a small LZX rack to go along with my TV tower (the euro modules will move to a new case):
I'm currently just messing with glitch video; N64 through a BPMC Premium Cable

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/463486

Might just buy an LZX Vidiot instead, though
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby dozicusmaximus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:09 pm

Sweet! I did look up the Premium Cable last night. Looks pretty cool. I'm guessing a great starting point. Just that a CRT and a dvd player or something? I just looked at the inputs on the back. Camcorder? I actually have one I bought 8 years ago somewhere. But I would assume any video in would work, right?

Wait... So I could run a a camcorder into it that is recording an oscilloscope then mangle that video and output to another recording device? Interesting!
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby resincum » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:21 am

yasss! you will need a time base corrector tho if you aren't using tube tvs. tachyons+ also makes stuff similar to BPMC, now with cv control :animal: been meaning to send mine in for an upgrade.. the lzx stuff looks so funnn.
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:25 am

Yeah you have the gist of it for sure. CRT or time based correction (found in most video mixers) is ideal for glitch video; I don't think it is as necessary for video synth though? I really want to get a camcorder for some video feedback (point the camcorder at the TV that is displaying the camcorder output)
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby resincum » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:31 am

oh I'm not actually sure if you need a tbc for the lzx stuff, thought it was necessary for analog>digital but maybe the signal is strong enough from those. my tachyons+ is beautiful thru my tube tv but cuts like shit when I run it into my computer without a tbc. I have a ave5 that has a TBC in it and that thing is glorious.. needs a recap tho. some of the higher end bpmc have a tbc built in as well

I found a pimp ass camcorder at a pawn shop around here for $35. primo for feedback and that lofi vibe
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear