Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby MrNovember » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:17 pm

The Mannequins stuff is beautiful and this module seems really well built. I love the super sturdy knobs. I could see myself possibly flipping my Tides 2 for a Just Friends to get some more Mannequins in my rack
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby kbit » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:13 pm

Oh hey, this is my setup right now :)*

D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby behndy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:24 pm

MrNovember wrote:
behndy wrote:RECORD. ALL. THE THINGS.

i bring a little handheld recorder and tap the headphone outs of my mixer.

also, WOOT. Oscillasaurs finally has the Marble panels available! lol. after i got the Magpie ones. but. whatevah. LOVE his.

Did you buy both? I'd buy the Magpie off you

Also, just got kbit's Three Sisters in and I love it! It's so damned good and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface

PM'D.

also have a Not As Well Done But Hey At Least It's Black panel from a modular parts shop that i won't need if someone wants a black Marble option?

THREE SISTAHS IS BOSS GOOD TIMES.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. sound boy king » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:47 pm

kbit wrote:Oh hey, this is my setup right now :)*

Nice!

I am particularly interested in COLD MAC and TELETYPE.

COLD MAC is too complicated for my monkey-mind to understand technically but I feel like I could use intuition and pull some rad CV out of it.

TELETYPE is so enticing because of the level of control achievable but I avoid it because I don't think I give enough fucks to learn all the commands and etc.

I know that Three Sisters is a filter and do not know what Just Friends does.
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby Dark Barn » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:01 pm

Just backed the Plankton Kickstarter for an assembled NuTone, the piece of the Spice that most interests me.

New videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Jb2ek_6DtO

Hope it gets funded!
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby kbit » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:31 pm

mr. sound boy king wrote:Nice!

I am particularly interested in COLD MAC and TELETYPE.

COLD MAC is too complicated for my monkey-mind to understand technically but I feel like I could use intuition and pull some rad CV out of it.

TELETYPE is so enticing because of the level of control achievable but I avoid it because I don't think I give enough fucks to learn all the commands and etc.

I know that Three Sisters is a filter and do not know what Just Friends does.

Cold Mac and Teletype we're both intimidating to me at first but that's changed with some new perspective since using them. They both offer a lot of functionality, but it's not necessary or encouraged to use all of it at the same time. Like Cold Mac can be one giant interconnected CV manipulator, or it can be used as one or two simple functions independent of the other stuff. I often find myself using the dual crossfader more than anything (2 in / 2 out is very handy).

Teletype is it's own beast. I don't use it anywhere near it's potential, but I know I can grow into it's abilities over time. I mainly got it because it extends the functionality of Just Friends and Ansible by a lot. Just Friends is a modulator / sound source with shared controls on it's own, but using it with Teletype can make it into a full polyphonic synth voice.

These modules are definitely designed with a "less is more" philosophy and I find using them as such very gratifying; they feel like a cohesive instrument rather than pieces of a system. I'm conceiving of a possible future where my Euro setup isn't much larger than this, then starting to build a DIY system with simpler* synthesis tools

SPOILER : show
*Simple in comparison to most stuff I've used. Thinking Serge / Ken Stone circuits... which actually aren't that simple :lol: but more bare bones / open ended than Euro stuff I've used.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:26 pm

Have pending deal on both my Mother 32s tomorrow. So I ordered a Planar 2 from a local shop! I doubt they'll get it in anytime soon though; it looks like Intellijel is out of stock. But whatever, I'm in no rush and I only had to put down a deposit.

This is going to be awesome:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/708372

Anyone have any thoughts on Tides 2 versus Just Friends? Now that I'm thinking about it, I might want to make that swap. They seem to cover some of the same ground, but I think Just Friends might actually do a little more
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby kbit » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:11 pm

MrNovember wrote:This is going to be awesome:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/708372

Anyone have any thoughts on Tides 2 versus Just Friends? Now that I'm thinking about it, I might want to make that swap. They seem to cover some of the same ground, but I think Just Friends might actually do a little more

I don't really know the details of the new Tides, but looking at your setup I would consider how either Tides or Just Friends would integrate with Marbles more than sheer ability between the two, since it seems like your workflow with Marbles would be the most affected by the swap.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:26 pm

To be totally honest, I feel like Marbles might actually integrate better with Just Friends. A super simplified explanation of Marbles is that it is essentially just 3 interrelated Turing Machines. I mean there's a lot of other things in there as well, but that's what I think when I really break it down.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby kbit » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:42 am

Hmm yeah, I could see feeding triggers out from Marbles to JF then JF functions back into Marbles being pretty sweet. Remember that JF has unipolar outputs in shape mode though, not sure if negative voltages are a thing you use a lot
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby behndy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:14 am

murrrrr as much fun as the Schlappi stuff is, i think they might be more of an Occasional Use modules for me. i sort of hate the Enclave case, the wiring for the power actually removes an hp or two of useable space. kinda thinking about keeping it for a bunch of noisier, once in a while modules, and trying to hunt down a CV Bus case. and replacing the Schlappi's with a Shapeshifter. because DAYUM that thing is VERSATILITY.

play with an Almost There smaller case -

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby behndy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:42 am

annnnnd with Deluge sequencing and Morphagene mangling a drum pattern -

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. sound boy king » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:06 am

^^^I like that Morphagene drum mangling scenario going on & feel like I would enjoy screwing around with a Morphagene.

I don't understand the central tape metaphor, though, or what reels are or anything like that. I also failed to understand the tape metaphor in the OP-1 but I still use it for poly-synth duties as needed.

I don't understand why it's fashionable to run modular music through tape machines right now. I guess it sounds worse in a desirable way? Like how some food has to ferment before it's delicious? So it's technically rotten? Is tape rotten? :?:
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby baremountain » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:49 am

MrNovember wrote:To be totally honest, I feel like Marbles might actually integrate better with Just Friends. A super simplified explanation of Marbles is that it is essentially just 3 interrelated Turing Machines. I mean there's a lot of other things in there as well, but that's what I think when I really break it down.

+1 on this, my second rack has my TSNM touch controller, Marbles, Rings, JF, Three Sisters, Mangrove, and Cold Mac when I wanna take it out of my big case, and I can vouch that Just Friends and Marbles are a match made in heaven.
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:22 pm

baremountain wrote:
MrNovember wrote:To be totally honest, I feel like Marbles might actually integrate better with Just Friends. A super simplified explanation of Marbles is that it is essentially just 3 interrelated Turing Machines. I mean there's a lot of other things in there as well, but that's what I think when I really break it down.

+1 on this, my second rack has my TSNM touch controller, Marbles, Rings, JF, Three Sisters, Mangrove, and Cold Mac when I wanna take it out of my big case, and I can vouch that Just Friends and Marbles are a match made in heaven.

Yeah, that's not helping. I mean thank you for your input....
Seriously though, I've got a pending sale right now and if it goes through I might pull the trigger on a Just Friends
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear