Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby Ruiner » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:40 pm

Been an awesome week.

Got Black Noir, Zadar and Enzo in.
Medusa comes on Tuesday.
Masters came back for my album.
Playing a live show Monday at 8pm MST for a local monthly meet up put on by WMD which will also be live streamed for anyone wanting to check it out.
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Muse FTW » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:16 pm

Played with new shit for about an hour.

Initial impressions:

1. Trigger Riot is fun as hell. A little hard to wrap my brain around it at times but I like it. I haven't even started to fuck with probabilities and shit.

2. I am in dire need of a proper mixer, because I am running out of VCA's to act as a mixer. Sadly there's no room at the moment lol.

3. The WMD percussion modules are fantastic. Exactly what I was looking for. Pico Drums sounds good. I definitely need to modulate the output... maybe I'll get a Geiger Counter like I planned to.

4. Speaking of Pico, the DSP is fucking tight.

5. Morgasmatron has sexually arousing filter sweeps.

6. Too early to call Mimetic Digitalis + Bin Seq + Tempi but I like 'em from an immediacy point of view.

Finally updated my Metropolis too which is nice. Now I just need to get a hold of the shortcuts and really get flying. Overall feelings are initially good. I definitely have some plumbing issues when it comes to getting audio out of the box, but I know I need a mixer module (ideally with some quality sends/returns).

As a side note, I started mucking around with Medusa. Whoever designed the presets for this machine should NEVER create presets for a synthesizer ever again. I thought it was broken out of the box because the presets sound like dissonant shit.
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:13 pm

Ruiner wrote:Been an awesome week.

Got Black Noir, Zadar and Enzo in.
Medusa comes on Tuesday.
Masters came back for my album.
Playing a live show Monday at 8pm MST for a local monthly meet up put on by WMD which will also be live streamed for anyone wanting to check it out.

LOOOOOOOT.

woot! is this the Traveling Found Source album? or different blangings? looking forward to listening!

ooooooo! AWESOME. jelly. WMD is DELICIOUS gear. kill it!
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby behndy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:16 pm

Muse FTW wrote:Played with new shit for about an hour.

Initial impressions:

1. Trigger Riot is fun as hell. A little hard to wrap my brain around it at times but I like it. I haven't even started to fuck with probabilities and shit.

2. I am in dire need of a proper mixer, because I am running out of VCA's to act as a mixer. Sadly there's no room at the moment lol.

3. The WMD percussion modules are fantastic. Exactly what I was looking for. Pico Drums sounds good. I definitely need to modulate the output... maybe I'll get a Geiger Counter like I planned to.

4. Speaking of Pico, the DSP is fucking tight.

5. Morgasmatron has sexually arousing filter sweeps.

6. Too early to call Mimetic Digitalis + Bin Seq + Tempi but I like 'em from an immediacy point of view.

Finally updated my Metropolis too which is nice. Now I just need to get a hold of the shortcuts and really get flying. Overall feelings are initially good. I definitely have some plumbing issues when it comes to getting audio out of the box, but I know I need a mixer module (ideally with some quality sends/returns).

As a side note, I started mucking around with Medusa. Whoever designed the presets for this machine should NEVER create presets for a synthesizer ever again. I thought it was broken out of the box because the presets sound like dissonant shit.

01) i want to love Triggles. for me, beautiful for random/happy accidents, awful for planned out stuff.

02) get a cheap but verbose external mixer? in-rack mixing is way too fucking expensive for me. and GET AWAY FROM MY PRECIOUS HP.

03) super curious about the WMD percusslets. SOON.

04) huh. i couldna gel with the Pico DSP. either time i had it. because of the Shard i have an odd hp module i want to use again, so have a Pico Sequential Switch incoming. WOOT.

05) JELLY.

06) Tempi is rad. played with a buds the other day. lurv the Mimetic.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ruiner » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:31 pm

No this has one NAGRAmbient song but it’s basically 1/2 unstructured ambient and 1/2 structured ambient melodies over beats
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:22 pm

awesooooommeeeee! looking forward to it!

also, mannnn i love the Stargazer.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby behndy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:37 pm

also, apparently a v2 of Rene is imminent.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Inconuucl » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:13 pm

behndy wrote:also, apparently a v2 of Rene is imminent.

I was surprised it took this long, interested to see what they are planning for it. :snax:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. sound boy king » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:47 am

behndy wrote:
Muse FTW wrote:Played with new shit for about an hour.

Initial impressions:

01) i want to love Triggles. for me, beautiful for random/happy accidents, awful for planned out stuff.

Trigger Riot is great at planned out stuff. You just have to hold a few numbers in your mind. Plus it has all those memory slots. To conclude, I am a Trigger Riot fan boi.
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby behndy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:28 am

neh. not for me. had two, if there was a better visual interface for what's going on? i think i'd dig it more.

i mean, YOU kill with it. so.

althoughhhhhh there IS a custom unit for the ER-301 that works like a channel of the Trigs. so. will defo play with that.

my Guesstimate Ship Date for my ER-301 was the 17th. was hoping it would ship earlier, because I AM SPOILED.

but in the next week or so should have the Shard, TSNM and Miasma in. my case and the Swarm are supposed to ship this week, so by middle/end of this month i'm hoping my planned setup will be.... set up.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:37 pm

Posted some stuff in the BST: Veils, Sewastopol v1, and black Magpie panels for Rings, Chronoblob, and O_c.

Might also be interested in trading my DFAM for a Mother 32
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Muse FTW » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:44 pm

Very happy I didn't order a Rene last week because apparently Make Noise is teasing a new one.
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:07 pm

but they'll be butts cheaper used soon!

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Warpsmasher » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:34 am

On the subject of synthesizing cymbals -
White noise into hpf or bpf with adjustable adsr is the simplest way I've found for a basic cymbal with some range. The Muskrat does some good natural sounding cymbals that can go to artificial electronic sounding pretty easily (any wavetable oscillator can do that really though). The 2hp Hat seems like a very smart thing to have in any drum rack too, probably gonna check that out at some point. I am currently using 3 Pico drums loaded with my own drum and cymbal breaks, two of which are about 50% cymbal stuff and the third is more like 85%. CV control over sample selection or (speed)pitch, but not both simultaneously, for that you need a Qu-bit Wave/Nebulae, Morphagene, STS, Assimilator etc. Sample selection is probably the most basic and blunt way to sequence a timed improvisational drum style, but with 64 samples per Pico Drum (or way more in a Tiptop One), focus on your sample sets can be placed on any aspect of the drum sound you are particular about: variety of expression, large kit/small kit, mastered/eq'd/compressed to taste before loading, reverb on some, more cowbell, etc. One great benefit of samples is that they can have whatever benefits you need them to have. Perhaps even more important to some though, is that you can remove all the sounds you want to avoid. If you are particular about that, customized samplebanks are essential.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Ruiner » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:20 pm

Live performance went very well. Loving the Black Noir. I think he’s editing the live stream but I’ll poat the video when it’s up again showing Black Noir in action as well as using Meris Enzo with eurorack.

Also got the Medusa in today!
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear