Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby behndy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:27 am

LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it. so damn pretty.

re gates v triggers - murrrr. yeah. still a mystery to me. i get the DIFFERENCE. just don't see the use of both being produced by controllers? which, i am twelve hundred and fitty percent sure is pure IGNORANCE.

also, Planar 2 and Tetrapad got in. YESH. only used the Tetra, but this is my first (still tiny but for me) decent sized 301 patch, 4 triangle oscs into a LPF and reverb, the height of each Tetra throw is controlling the room size and frequency, in Chord Mode -

Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby greyscales » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:00 pm

I have a Disting mk4 and a Keystep on the way now.

Keystep should be really nice for syncing some of my non-modular gear to the Eurorack. And having another sequencer is always a bonus. Should be fun to use it for transposing Metropolis and creating crazy envelopes with Stages too.
Can't wait to use the turing machine mode on Disting and have some more modulation options. Kind of overwhelmed by some of its abilities but it'll be nice to have learning opportunities with time.

Meanwhile I've gotten bored with the Mother 32. Might just be the sequencer that is boring me though. I wish it could be detached from the voice and output more of the assign functions at one time. It'd be awesome to have the stepped random, clock divider, and accent outs all at once. Or if its MIDI/CV conversion could be disconnected from the voice. Basically I wish it were more modular.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby baremountain » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:13 pm

behndy wrote:re gates v triggers - murrrr. yeah. still a mystery to me. i get the DIFFERENCE. just don't see the use of both being produced by controllers? which, i am twelve hundred and fitty percent sure is pure IGNORANCE.

Gates can be used in different ways than triggers when you're talking about momentary functions (think Reverse on ErbeVerb) or logic (I don't do too much logic stuff, but you can imagine how having a longer "on" state with a gate would produce different results than a trigger's momentary blip). Also yeah ADSR things. Or think about hooking a gate up to a low pass filter's v/8 in. With no activity, you could have basically everything filtered out. Send it a trigger and you'd hear a brief ping, or send a gate and it would be like flipping on and off a light switch while the gate is high if that makes sense? You can do some awesome things with gates into various inputs, especially when they've got attenuverters.

But all that said, at the end of the day I'm pretty sure all triggers *are* gates, just with a quick decay. Most differentiation is done for functional reasons, like a gate from a touch controller probably will stay high the entire time your finger is on it, vs send a ping when you switch pads. Hope that helps!
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:35 pm

baremountain wrote:
behndy wrote:re gates v triggers - murrrr. yeah. still a mystery to me. i get the DIFFERENCE. just don't see the use of both being produced by controllers? which, i am twelve hundred and fitty percent sure is pure IGNORANCE.

But all that said, at the end of the day I'm pretty sure all triggers *are* gates, just with a quick decay. Most differentiation is done for functional reasons, like a gate from a touch controller probably will stay high the entire time your finger is on it, vs send a ping when you switch pads. Hope that helps!

I think this is probably closest to what Behndy was asking; essentially, having both outputs from a touch controller you likely have the ability to hold one pad to keep a gate high and simultaneously tap another pad to send triggers.

greyscales wrote:Meanwhile I've gotten bored with the Mother 32. Might just be the sequencer that is boring me though. I wish it could be detached from the voice and output more of the assign functions at one time. It'd be awesome to have the stepped random, clock divider, and accent outs all at once. Or if its MIDI/CV conversion could be disconnected from the voice. Basically I wish it were more modular.

I absolutely love my Mother 32, but I do agree that it would be amazing to have the assign functions all available at one time. I hate having to look it up every time I want to use a different one. On the other hand, I'm getting somewhat bored of the DFAM. I just wish it had more interesting clocking and sequencing options. Being limited to 8 steps makes everything I do on it sound pretty repetitive.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby behndy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:04 pm

baremountain wrote:

Gates can be used in different ways than triggers when you're talking about momentary functions (think Reverse on ErbeVerb) or logic (I don't do too much logic stuff, but you can imagine how having a longer "on" state with a gate would produce different results than a trigger's momentary blip). Also yeah ADSR things. Or think about hooking a gate up to a low pass filter's v/8 in. With no activity, you could have basically everything filtered out. Send it a trigger and you'd hear a brief ping, or send a gate and it would be like flipping on and off a light switch while the gate is high if that makes sense? You can do some awesome things with gates into various inputs, especially when they've got attenuverters.

yessssss! hee. i think i have a decent grasp of the behavioral difference between a gate and trigger.

i guess just with my setup i don't totally get yet the functional applications of having both available each time i use a controller that sends both.

oof. i think it's going to be harrrrrd to use the Tetra outside the chord mode. i'm super looking forward to it going into the 3 osc nastiness that is the Shard.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. sound boy king » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:37 am

PLONK incoming. Look forward especially to the randomizer. BLAP BLAP.

Z8000 mk1 and FSR-1N outgoing.

If any of you folk want the Z8000 or FSR-1N I will make a good deal for you.
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby MrNovember » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:24 pm

greyscales wrote:I have a Disting mk4 and a Keystep on the way now.

Keystep should be really nice for syncing some of my non-modular gear to the Eurorack. And having another sequencer is always a bonus. Should be fun to use it for transposing Metropolis and creating crazy envelopes with Stages too.

Well shit, I didn't realise I wanted one of these!

The ability to interact with it and overwrite things while it's running is amazing. I wonder if there's similar capability in the Keylabs because I'd much prefer the full keys and I was already kind of planning on buying a Keylab Essential 49
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby greyscales » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:16 pm

I had been considering one since I got a 0-Coast a couple years ago, but had mostly forgotten about it until that Mylar video. After watching that, I knew it would enter my life at some point. Might scratch the itch for a Pressure Points/Tetrapad too.

Disting came in today but obviously I didn't even scratch the surface of it. So many algorithms to explore, so little time.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:23 pm

jia. i have a Keystep. blackkkkk one. it's pretty pimp.

wooooot. MDLR Home Boy said my case will shop this Friday, i'm off to Miami with The Wifey this Monday through Saturday, should hit about when i'm back.

and grabbed a Pulp 1u Reverb and tank. hope it works wellllll.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby oscillateur » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:30 pm

brndnwilliams wrote:grabbed a teletype yesterday to control JF and the 301. Anyone here doing this already?

I am indeed sometimes grumpy (and a double dad now, too) and I have a Teletype. It basically fills all my sequencing needs and much more. It's great and makes me want even less modules than I already have as it can do so much. Programming it is not like C++ at all, it's more akin to some sort of zen programming/puzzle solving in a way, as there are lots of limitations (and smart design choices) and you have to learn how to handle what is there in an efficient way. And you can do a lot, that's for sure. I'm an engineer and I've been programming professionally for a long time, so my point of view on this might be a bit different from people with a different background.

I also have the TXi/TXo expanders and can use the TXo as 4 envelopes/LFOs/oscillators, which is great too.

No ER301 for me though, but that's a great combination if it fits your workflow. The 301 + Teletype might be too many screens in the modular for me, but it works well for other people.

And there was a Just Friends for sale used at my local eurorack retailer, which surprisingly stayed available on their website after a day or two and cost basically what I had in my paypal account so I took it as a sign and got it. I've just had time to use it in shape/cycle mode (normal and run/plume) and it's excellent for that already. Next is shapes mode, to modulate many things. I really like the Mannequins approach of driving a number of similar elements through an unified interface, it works better than I thought. And I'm probably going to want to get a Three Sisters at some point.

But I don't want to spend money as my 7U is already full so if someone here has a Three Sisters and wants a Basimilus Iteritas Alter, I might be interested in a trade...
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:02 am

Has anyone ever ordered from Patchwerks in Seattle? They're having a small 20% off sale on just a few things, but one of them was a Malekko Dual Borg, so I just jumped on that as it's been on my radar for a while... Wondering how long I'm gonna have to wait for gratification haha. Should be all set on filters for a while, too. Filter 8, Ripples, and a Dual Borg. And a Protostar and Pretty Years if you count guitar pedals. Guess I'm a filter hoar....der.

http://store.patchwerks.com for the sale. Small, like I said, but a some interesting things.
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby Muse FTW » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:15 pm

Prepare your butts (wallets). New Noise Engineering oscillator coming next month.

Ataraxic Iteritas is a 10hp over-the-top oscillator inspired by the sounds of the last millennium.

AI starts with one of three bit tables shaped via variable interpolation that is modulated and distorted by the CV-modulatable front-panel controls. Subby basses, metallic drones, unrelentingly digital timbres and more are all to be had from AI.
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:52 pm

niiiiiice. big fan of everything they do.

WILL GRAB.

so far, out of their many, many loots. Cursis is still my favorite.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby behndy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:26 pm

also, i have thr Translatron. it's GOOD. super into a big lurverly version.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Warpsmasher » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:51 am

I always liked the Translatron too, glad to have it in black now. I love the recessed display too. Such a solid little slab of character for 4 hp.
I still want a Sinc Iter too. 23 octaves. :wha?:
Not sure what I'd do with 23 octaves but I want to find out.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear