Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby bigchiefbc » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:20 pm

:cry: I only had like 4 modules, but I was forced to sell off my modular shit this fall due to moneyz probz. :cry:

I'll give it another shot some day, when my finances are better.
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Deltaphoenix » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:18 pm

I bullshit here and try to learn stuff on Muffs. I got bored with trying to make my bass sound like a synth so i went modular and semi-modular, so glad I did. I too don't really GAS for bass gear/pedals, just more modules. I need a sequencer, clock divider and multiplier, some make noise oscillators and a Mutable Instruments Braids.
behndy wrote:i want to have dirty sex with each and every mod here. in their poopcunt. while squirls shoot out of my dick and tinier squirrels shoot out of THEIR dicks in an Escher-esque recursive love filth pile.

My Band: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/capturetherapture

My Solo Electronic Stuff:http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/deltaphoenix
Deltaphoenix

Supporter
Supporter

Postby 01010111 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:05 am

I really want to build a modular one day, not so much for sounds. I've got plans for that, plans with lazers :cool: I want a modular for visual synthesis! But I'm still super jelly of all your guys's modular setups :love:

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MeSoFuzzy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:12 am

I was a modular whore for a few years. Moogerfoogers were my gateway drug. I started out with a .com system, expanded into euro, and then I sold off my .com/5U system to buy more euro. At the end, I had 6U of metasonix modules and 6U of various manufacturers. I kept making monsynth patches and just played around fm'ing tings. Bought a wrecth machine and sold the eurocrack. I do miss it, but not the constantly ever expanding gas issue. I would like to get back into later, with a specific plan for what I want and stick to it. My "various manufacturers" case changed since the pic. Pretty much where I was at before dumping the eurocrack format. Its the post with bananas above and below the pic http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... 798#333798
MeSoFuzzy

experienced
experienced

Postby retinal orbita » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:25 pm

So I just bought a Minibrute and I'm thinking (of course) of adding a few things on and am considering modular synth to add on a sequencer, ring mod and, well, that's all I can think of for now but I'm sure if you give me an hour I can think of more stuff I will want :facepalm:

So I guess for modular noobs can I easily add on a few little modular units and use the CV in/out on the minibrute along with the modular stuff? I look at all these modules that are being sold and I don't know if I need all that stuff... I guess Ideally I'd like to be able to use the modular without the Minibrute, but to get started I'm wondering how much I need to buy....

I also have a steeped tone generator/atari punk console that I really like, but it only has 1/4" audio out, is there any way I could have that signal processed by any of these add ons? I know I can run it through the Minibrute's audio in so that might be a way to go....

Also I'm not looking to break the bank, do you guys have any suggestions for reasonably priced cases or power supplies?
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MeSoFuzzy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:45 pm

You're going to need a module for raising your external signal to modular level, then bring it back down to line level. There's quite a few options now. I think all of them have 1/4" ins and outs so you don't have to worry about adapters or cables with 1/4" on one end and 1/8th" on the other end. You should still get some 1/8th" to 1/4" adapters though. Oakley makes a clone of the ring mod circuit in the ARP 2600. The MakeNoise Ring mod is pretty good. I didn't gel with it, but it was more of a not really needing a ring mod thing. For a starter, I would suggest looking at the modules that give you an entire voice in one module. Even though you already have a Minibrute, a synth in one module is still good to have since it has patch points where you need them. You will quickly learn where you need to go for expansion. Its cheaper than buying separate VCO's, Filters, VCA's, LFO's, etc... I'd look at this, its not a complete synth, but I think it would be perfect for you http://www.wmdevices.com/synchrodyne.php or this http://pittsburghmodular.com/synthesizer-block/ Cases/power supplies- If you can build yourself a case, I can not recommend this kit enough http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/a100diy1/ The power supply it comes with is a real work horse! If you get into digital and or tube modules, you're going need to a GOOD power supply. Otherwise there's this http://www.analoguehaven.com/tiptopaudi ... endingkit/ You can also get a good Power One or Condor power supply from ebay for $25-$50. It will require calibration and soldering, but that's easy if you can work a mini screw driver, digital multi meter, and soldering iron.
MeSoFuzzy

experienced
experienced

Postby retinal orbita » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:20 pm

@mesofuzzy: thank you, that's incredibly helpful. I'm gonna look into this further, my union got a payout last week so . Have some spare cash, but I'm gonna do some more research before I go nuts.....
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MeSoFuzzy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:43 pm

Word! Post again after you come up with some ideas for your starter system.
MeSoFuzzy

experienced
experienced

Postby retinal orbita » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:10 pm

MeSoFuzzy wrote:Word! Post again after you come up with some ideas for your starter system.

I will!! I know a guy, who built my noise/drone box who has said he could build me a sequencer that would take audio or CV and make it totally unique so I'm kind of torn, I love the look of the modular systems but I bought a minibrute so I don't need to go crazy with other things.... so I might try to calm myself down before going on another ridiculous quest and just have him make me a sequencer and maybe he could build me a ring mod too.... I gotta rope this shit in as I just bought a house that has numerous non synth costs and I have a very pretty wife who does not understand ridiculous impulse gear buys (although she certainly understands buying $500 purses amirite fellas).... but really this is great advice!!
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Deltaphoenix » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:10 am

Fuck that noise, go modular
behndy wrote:i want to have dirty sex with each and every mod here. in their poopcunt. while squirls shoot out of my dick and tinier squirrels shoot out of THEIR dicks in an Escher-esque recursive love filth pile.

My Band: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/capturetherapture

My Solo Electronic Stuff:http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/deltaphoenix
Deltaphoenix

Supporter
Supporter

Postby modernage » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:26 pm

retinal orbita wrote:(although she certainly understands buying $500 purses amirite fellas)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, MeSoFuzzy gave some great ideas to get you started. I would highly suggest the TipTop Happy Ending Kit if you want a cheap, easy way to get into euro. That's what skullservant and I are rocking. I also picked up picked up some of these cables to implement other synths, effect pedals, and guitars into my rig.

The three companies that seem to be making the most affordable modules are Pittsburgh Modular, Analogue Solutions, and Doepfer. Intellijel also packs a lot of features into a small space at a good price. Major lust for pretty much their whole line. I'd look into that Pittsburgh Synthesizer Block that Fuzzy mentioned. That thing is a pretty good deal. They have an 8 step sequencer that's only $139, which is pretty ridiculous. It would be great for your pitch, vca, filter cv inputs. They also have a couple nice little cases if you'd rather have a desktop style case.
modernage

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby retinal orbita » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Yeah, I've been checking out the Pittsburgh stuff, and then I see the Doepfer Dark Time and I'm like... maybe I should hold out for this because it's totally what I want, or maybe just find a slightly less pricey sequencer, or have one built for me, I am really conflicted b/c I don't really need a basic synth module since I have the Minibrute, I just want the add ons.... whatever I should be using my union payout for my property taxes anyway #realtalk
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:10 pm

I've wanted to get into modular synths for a long time ever since I saw Mountains play live.
I know with their setup they had a bunch of modules that I couldn't get to see close up but they did have a keyboard going through it and controlling it all. Any idea how to do something like that? like are there midi modules that work with everything or something? Do I have any idea what I'm talking about
Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!

committed
committed

Postby modernage » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:21 pm

retinal orbita wrote:Yeah, I've been checking out the Pittsburgh stuff, and then I see the Doepfer Dark Time and I'm like... maybe I should hold out for this because it's totally what I want, or maybe just find a slightly less pricey sequencer, or have one built for me, I am really conflicted b/c I don't really need a basic synth module since I have the Minibrute, I just want the add ons.... whatever I should be using my union payout for my property taxes anyway #realtalk

Yeah, I hear ya. I hear good things about the Dark Time. I have an Analogue Solutions Oberkorn, that I would suggest checking out too. It's a very nice sequencer, and I've seen them go for a good price used. You can get some very interesting sequencers if you went the euro route. The TipTop z8000 + Trigger Riot, Make Noise Rene or Pressure Point/Brains combo, Intellijel Metropolis, Doepfer A-155, and the Xaoc Moskwa all seem to be the big players in that scene.

I was in the same position as you when I first started out. I had a semi-modular (ASol Telemark), and wanted to add some modules to enhance the :!!!: factor. This is what I currently have...
- The Dalek Modulator gives me a ring mod on top of two more oscillators.
- MMG gives another filter option, plus some cool percussion sounds, and a healthy dose of oscillating.
- MATHS is kinda the Strymon Timeline of euro. Super hyped, everyone wants one, but definitely worth having around... especially if you have a small setup. There's not a lot it can't do... function generator, bipolar attenuator, envelope follower, mixer, etc.
- .BAM gives me a set of mults (in addition to my stackable cables) and another bipolar mixer. I might sell this for an Intellijel uAtt since I have one of their mults on its way to me already.
- The Geiger Counter is pretty obvious. Great for mangling shit.

There's still some major gaps in this setup, but I get by if I use it with my Telemark. You should see my dream rig that I put together on modulargrid. :facepalm:
modernage

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby modernage » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:25 pm

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! wrote:I've wanted to get into modular synths for a long time ever since I saw Mountains play live.
I know with their setup they had a bunch of modules that I couldn't get to see close up but they did have a keyboard going through it and controlling it all. Any idea how to do something like that? like are there midi modules that work with everything or something? Do I have any idea what I'm talking about

Yeah, dude! I'd say about half the major manufacturers have some sort of midi interface module. There's actually quite a few to choose from. Another option would be find a controller that sends cv, like this guy.
modernage

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear