Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby GAS KING » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:44 am

I got into modular over a year ago and I'm going to sell it all over the winter.

As much as I love the technicality of it all........I don't get much joy from the musical side of it.
GAS KING

experienced
experienced

Postby behndy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:12 am

feel you. it's a whole THING. for me, it's made me excited about doing musics in a way i havna felt for a long time, was burnt on bass and pedals and soft synth stuff. but i see where you're coming from.

ordered the NE AI. because. you know. fuck it.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Warpsmasher » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:57 pm

I get that too, and I plan to get a couple of 19" rack synths back in the mix at some point, for chords, pads and preset kinda stuff I don't want to bother with in modular. Now that I have a large modular system, I have new ideas on how to integrate them. I get too much enjoyment from the drums and the soundscapes and all the synchronicity to give it up, but I do miss the immediacy of dialing up preset voices, and having all that orchestra/workstation kind of stuff at my disposal, so I'll just gradually bring it back...unless a better alternative comes along in modular, which never surprises me anymore. Look at everything the Pico Voice can do...that's just making me wonder what the big version will be capable of now. It will probably be like a Fantom or a Triton in module form.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:39 am

PLANS. I'M LISTENING SUH.

also, just to make sure i'm understanding the nomenclature/naming structure correctly -

if a knob on an input is an attenuverter, then at noon it's no CV, full CCW is full negative CV, full CW is the full, unaffected CV?

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby brndnwilliams » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:00 pm

Looking forward to hearing what you do with the AI behndy! Do you still use like all of their modules?

Other news- I ordered a grid, Ansible and norns this week. Got an offer on my Verbos harm osc today. If that sells, getting a second JF so I can use one for sound and one for shape and they talk with TT. Speaking of which, TT has changed he game for me. My JF, w/‘s, 301 (and soon more) are connected via i2c and it’s sick! Using those commands in conjunction with cv and knob turns allow for more fun than I could get without the TT controlling stuff. Will update when the new gear arrives and I have time to play :))
brndnwilliams

committed
committed

Postby Inconuucl » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:24 pm

:snax: :snax::snax: :snax: :snax: :snax: :snax: :snax: :snax: :snax: :snax: :snax: :snax: :snax:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby behndy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:41 pm

Inconuucl wrote:

doooood that Grinder has me like rarrrr RARRRRR.

brndnwilliams wrote:Looking forward to hearing what you do with the AI behndy! Do you still use like all of their modules?

everything but the LIP! had a good deal on a trade when i was tapped, will grab againnnn. love their stuff so much, but just the Cursis in my main rack now, everything else NE in my home rack. 7u makes choices freaking HARD.

brndnwilliams wrote:Other news- I ordered a grid, Ansible and norns this week. Got an offer on my Verbos harm osc today. If that sells, getting a second JF so I can use one for sound and one for shape and they talk with TT. Speaking of which, TT has changed he game for me. My JF, w/‘s, 301 (and soon more) are connected via i2c and it’s sick! Using those commands in conjunction with cv and knob turns allow for more fun than I could get without the TT controlling stuff. Will update when the new gear arrives and I have time to play :))

MOOF. STOP MAKING THE TELETYPE ACTION TIMES SOUND SO FUN. I AM TRYING TO RESIST.

still haven't put near enough time into the 301. been super busy, sort of torn if i want to learn 0.3 or wait till 0.4 is bumped up with Custom Units this weekend.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:03 pm

Just go with 0.4. Even if there’s bugs you’ll be more up to speed by the time the next version comes out. Also, someone else can correct me, but I think there were some UI changes between 0.3 and 0.4?
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby kbit » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:08 pm

brndnwilliams wrote:Looking forward to hearing what you do with the AI behndy! Do you still use like all of their modules?

Other news- I ordered a grid, Ansible and norns this week. Got an offer on my Verbos harm osc today. If that sells, getting a second JF so I can use one for sound and one for shape and they talk with TT. Speaking of which, TT has changed he game for me. My JF, w/‘s, 301 (and soon more) are connected via i2c and it’s sick! Using those commands in conjunction with cv and knob turns allow for more fun than I could get without the TT controlling stuff. Will update when the new gear arrives and I have time to play :))

Glad to hear you're digging this setup, I'm planning in doing the same thing when Teletypes are back in stock. Gonna put together a mini system with a limited collection of Mannequins modules to learn it inside out (it I'm not too dense :cool: )
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby behndy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:16 pm

yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:Just go with 0.4. Even if there’s bugs you’ll be more up to speed by the time the next version comes out. Also, someone else can correct me, but I think there were some UI changes between 0.3 and 0.4?

i believe so. and the plan WHICH I HAVEN'T HAD TIME FOR is to go through all the tutorial vids, but they areeeee written for 0.3?

but yeah. the Scope'ness of 0.4 looks USEFUL.

also, Pequeño Interruptor got here. lol. i always forget how freaking TINY 1hp things are.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby doommeow » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:14 pm

skullservant wrote:Filled up a 9U Doepfer, this is what I've been up to the past two months:

https://putridaromatics.bandcamp.com/
https://putridaromatics.bandcamp.com/al ... l-fortress

Legit. Loving this.
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby skullservant » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Thanks buddy. Too bad I sold all my modular off to pay bills :(
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby brndnwilliams » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:03 pm

kbit wrote:

Glad to hear you're digging this setup, I'm planning in doing the same thing when Teletypes are back in stock. Gonna put together a mini system with a limited collection of Mannequins modules to learn it inside out (it I'm not too dense :cool: )

Harmonic Osc and Scan & Pan sold last night. Second JF will be ordered tomorrow and I def want some triatts or shades in there too. We are gonna have the same rig soon haha. Also there’s a TT on reverb for 420 right now, if that’s up your alley!

As for the 301, behndy, I have both 3 and 4 on mine, as it’s super easy to flip between both. Custom units weren’t working on 4 so I kept 3 around for them but 4 has some real sick new features like routing the output of anything back to other destinations and the menu is def a different layout. There are other neat features too. I’m looking forward to 4 being stable so I don’t need them both anymore. Oh! Idk how stereo-centric your sounds are but channel assignments are much easier now too. If you want to link 1 and 2, you just press them at the same time and you’re done instead of going into admin then channel setup, scrolling, etc. :thumb:
brndnwilliams

committed
committed

Postby Dark Barn » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:33 pm

yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:HOLY FUCK YOU GUYS. I got my Dual Borg in today and it's a god damn beast. I had the Filter 8 in a couple months ago and was excited, but it wore off quickly. It's good, sure. But the Dual Borg just blows it out of the water for me. I guess there's something to be said for the classic architectures it's based off of.

This post convinced me to watch some demos, and finally saw a used one posted for a nice price and jumped on it. If I fall in love it will replace my Three Sisters and uVCF (had two uVCF so have been looking to ditch this anyways!)
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:32 pm

jia. again, i've just been so caught up in LIFE THINGS that i've barely been able to sit down to musics, let alone spend a couple hours at a time learning the goodness that is the 301, but it looks like stuff is clearing up a bit.

excited to get deeper into the buggeriboo.

i'm still super digging the Morgasmo. thing is VERBOSE. but mannnnn that Dual Borg looks fun.

so like. if you tire of yours. you know. hit me up kanuckah.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear