Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby Muse FTW » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:42 pm

Man, I'm still unhappy with my case situation. I want something like 1 row but hella long... Or maybe 2 rows and still pretty long.

The other thing is I don't want it to be super deep. I can't find a good compromise between the two ideas - especially because I'd like it to have some kind of legs for tipping purposes.

Intellijel's cases are good but I feel like they still don't get me exactly where I want to be. But maybe that's the direction I should head.
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Deltaphoenix » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Hey ILF Fam, I have a T-Rex Replicator Tape Delay module that I am looking to trade. I am the original owner and it comes with an extra tape.
behndy wrote:i want to have dirty sex with each and every mod here. in their poopcunt. while squirls shoot out of my dick and tinier squirrels shoot out of THEIR dicks in an Escher-esque recursive love filth pile.

My Band: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/capturetherapture

My Solo Electronic Stuff:http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/deltaphoenix
Deltaphoenix

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Warpsmasher » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:06 pm

Muse FTW wrote:Man, I'm still unhappy with my case situation. I want something like 1 row but hella long... Or maybe 2 rows and still pretty long.

The other thing is I don't want it to be super deep. I can't find a good compromise between the two ideas - especially because I'd like it to have some kind of legs for tipping purposes.

Intellijel's cases are good but I feel like they still don't get me exactly where I want to be. But maybe that's the direction I should head.
I've been thinking about going to the 168 HP z-rails from tiptop, but they're still not as long as I'd like either. 200 HP minimum, maybe 240 max, for a nice long rack. If rails like that become readily available/affordable I'll most likely do it at some point.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby worra » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:39 am

You all are a horrible influence.

Also, Plaits comes today, will probably post later after jamming on it for a bit.
https://foldednote.bandcamp.com
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Ghost Hip » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:39 am

Does anyone else already want a second Plaits? I keep making a patch with it and wish I had a second to use a different mode/feature. Probably a honeymoon phase thing but I am really digging this lil johnny.

Bad vibes: Reverb.com patch cables. Their pedal pancake cables worked well for me so I figured might as well try their modular cables. But its only been a couple weeks and quite a few from what I ordered are already cutting out. Also the jacks are fat and don't fit in tight spaces. (TWSS) I hardly ever get disappointed by a gear purchase but man these cables blow. :grumpy:
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby dozicusmaximus » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:43 am

Welp... Walked into work with an email about a merger. :lol: :!!!:
So I cancelled my W/ order. Hopefully they read it before they try to ship it.

Probably going to do a gear blow out on basses I never use. Do people still use Craigslist? The last time I listed some stuff I hardly got any emails. Anyone in Austin interested in some 80s Japanese basses? :p
Also will be taking a hard look at the modular stuff and see what I don't really need.
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby Dark Barn » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Boo! Man that sucks!
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby worra » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:55 pm

dozicusmaximus wrote:Welp... Walked into work with an email about a merger. :lol: :!!!:

Probably going to do a gear blow out on basses I never use. Do people still use Craigslist? The last time I listed some stuff I hardly got any emails. Anyone in Austin interested in some 80s Japanese basses? :p
Also will be taking a hard look at the modular stuff and see what I don't really need.

Dude, that's terrible :/

I am in Austin tho, will pm you.
https://foldednote.bandcamp.com
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby baremountain » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:23 pm

Sorry to hear about that, dozicusmaximus :( I hope things get sorted out soon & you don't have to purge too hard.

My W/ is out for delivery, I will report back w/ my findings tonight/tmrw. Really excited for this one.
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Muse FTW » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:49 pm

I've spent an hour with W/ so far. It's daunting for sure, and I kinda wish it was just a little bigger, but I also kinda want 2 of them.

It's super intuitive once you get a hang of the basic principles. The combos/shortcuts are very real (and it's easy to get mixed up) but there's something inherently powerful underneath the layer of complexity.

I haven't even used the "THIS" and "THAT" jacks yet. I love the switch at the top, although it does kinda require having the module at the end of a case for unobstructed use.
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Warpsmasher » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:00 pm

Warpsmasher wrote:Ordered the Trogotronic m16 mixer/vca for my other 12u rack (which is about as close to full as this one), completing the set of all the current run Trogotronic modules. Pic when it gets in.

To finish this rack for a bit, I'm thinking Morpheus, the red Doepfer A-147-2, and the rest with pico & 2HP modules.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:03 am

worra wrote:
dozicusmaximus wrote:Welp... Walked into work with an email about a merger. :lol: :!!!:

Dude, that's terrible :/

I am in Austin tho, will pm you.

aw man i'm sorry. the merger for sure means you need to look for new work? urf. so rough. sorry meng!
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby baremountain » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:40 am

Okay wow, reporting back on day 1 with w/. This thing is DEEP.
Before I get started I'll say it's definitely going to take me a minute to get used to the loop-creating process & overall navigation - that seems to be this thing's weakness. However, once you orient yourself & get a string of commands going, everything starts to make sense.
The looping/delay takes place in Play mode. While Tape Delay is a thing we're all familiar with, the term 'destructive looper' kinda had me confused. So far it seems like there's some kind of envelope detector at the IN jack, which triggers some kind of erasure of existing content from the tape loop you're working on, and the amount of erasure depends on the voltage sent to THAT. Negative CV leads to tape delay (feedback drops with each playthrough while Record is active; more negative = less feedback), 0V or unplugged leads to typical sound-on-sound looping, and positive CV leads to destructive looping until you hit 5V, when it will completely overwrite what's on the tape. The destructive looper is great for creating thick blankets of sound (mainly what you'll hear on my videos). Flipping playback speed between octaves (Play+Toggle up/down) is a wonderful trick, and will probably be my go-to for quick FX with this baby.
I also messed around a little bit in Cue mode (where you send both triggers and V/Oct pitch control), but I'll have to play with that a bit more. I didn't mess with using an offset + trigger to select different cue sections or anything, but that'll be the focus of my next deep dive.

First impression is that I'm blown away at how much is packed into 2hp, and how readily I've been able to summon the delay sounds I'd been longing for. I wish it worked with clocks in a more intuitive way, but I'm sure everything will make sense in due time. Hardly any overlap with the Morphagene, too, in terms of how it makes sense to manipulate the samples. Very worthwhile if you've got 2hp unused.

Anyways, here's some sounds - finally uploaded basic ass clips to YouTube to appease DoS, I'll be adding info about each clip in the video description if you wanna read more.
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby mr. sound boy king » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:55 am

Awesome. Thanks for posting that.

ALSO:

/W does not fit into the lower right side corner of a Mantis case b/c plastic molding.
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby dozicusmaximus » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:46 am

Not sure if I'll have to look for work or not. I'm a mid level employee with a good amount of knowledge of how to use our old books. But anyone seasoned can figure that shit out.
I do know that we should be good until early 2019. That's when it's going to go down. Hard to say at this point if they'll shit can me or keep me around.

Still haven't decided whether or not to dump all the euro.
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear