Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby Invisible Man » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:43 pm

Muse FTW wrote:
Dad Dick 2999 wrote:So this thread is giant, and I don't think this has come up (nor will I hunt):

Anyone using a shit ton of triggers/gates? Which modules are good for that? Phonogene, Peaks, LxD, Radio Music are all on my rack or radar already. Building a synth largely run from complex trigger patterns.

So I am generating a ton of triggers and gates, mainly from Pamela's New Workout, Eloquencer, Varigate, etc...
The destinations are as follows:

Pamela's New Workout is going to Morphagene (sometimes to trigger play/record), DLD (to clock the delays, the holds, the reverse), Clouds (to trigger the freeze), and providing clocks to sequencers (Ansible, Metropolis). Sometimes I ping a filter with it, too.

Eloquencer's gates (besides the ones going to voices/filters) are just in charge of bass drum for now (BD808) but I might switch it to controlling Plonk soon because it has so many more inputs. When they go to filters I put them through Maths first to give it an envelope, even though it has some wave functionally.

Varigate goes to the rest of my drum modules (Tip Top open/closed hats, snare, Dinky's Taiko).

IMO if you aren't going for drum modules, the best destinations for gates and triggers are sampler/delay modules (capturing sound and playing them back at fixed ratios), filters for pinging (Three Sisters and Belgrad are amazing for this), and any VCA with the input for automating the volume knob since you can feed it a sound, then let blips through.

OK, thanks--that clarifies some things. I'm barking up a sensible tree.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:52 pm

Brain seed is best seed.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby behndy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:53 pm

D.o.S. wrote:Brain seed is best seed.

breakdown how to use Le Head Meat Seeder for an idiot. i have set mine up a few times and got distracted or frustrated.

or both.

Frustractated.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby behndy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:07 pm

also, fuck YES. the First Annual Robotspeak Synth Meetup is something i REALLY wanted to go to. they have shows all the time i super want to see, but they do them midday Saturdays. which. WHY. i am WORKING.

so thought the same of the Synth Meet. nope! 's a Thursday! i am OFF THURSDAYS. YESSSSHSHSGSVFNNGBTGRGEGSHHHHAGSGRGRGHHHHH.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:20 pm

resincum wrote:
coldbrightsunlight wrote:
oscillateur wrote:
Inconuucl wrote:

Great performance. Meng Qi (not his actual name though I think) is very much about creating electronic instruments rather than just modules or collections of modules, and it shows. He's using his own Voltage Memory module pretty well, too :).

This is great! :love:

for real! thanks for sharing, it inspired me to get freaky with my Ears :)

I have never considered pairing my Ears with a touch sequencer like the Voltage Memory, but that is a brilliant idea and I have serious gas now. Are there any options out there other than the Voltage Memory or Pressure Points? I'm tempted to build a tiny rack that is just Voltage Memory and Ears
Last edited by MrNovember on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Inconuucl » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:22 pm

MrNovember wrote:I have never considered pairing my Ears with a touche sequencer like the Voltage Memory, but that is a brilliant idea and I have serious gas now. Are there any options out there other than the Voltage Memory or Pressure Points? I'm tempted to build a tiny rack that is just Voltage Memory and Ears

:poke:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/intellijel-tetrapad

Add one of those to this tiny rack and you have yourself a really cute instrument.

Last edited by Inconuucl on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:24 pm

Inconuucl wrote:
MrNovember wrote:
resincum wrote:
coldbrightsunlight wrote:
oscillateur wrote:
Inconuucl wrote:

Great performance. Meng Qi (not his actual name though I think) is very much about creating electronic instruments rather than just modules or collections of modules, and it shows. He's using his own Voltage Memory module pretty well, too :).

This is great! :love:

for real! thanks for sharing, it inspired me to get freaky with my Ears :)

I have never considered pairing my Ears with a touche sequencer like the Voltage Memory, but that is a brilliant idea and I have serious gas now. Are there any options out there other than the Voltage Memory or Pressure Points? I'm tempted to build a tiny rack that is just Voltage Memory and Ears

:picard:

...how did I forget about that? That was on my gas list for the longest time!
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby behndy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:51 pm

i.... would like a Plague Bearer. i would LOVE a 6 or 4 hp one.

also, WOOT. ordered 3 of those line level modules, they just shipped. he is FAST. talked to Danno about a box that would do line level conversion with 1/8 inch on one side, 1/4 on the other, he's going to tackle that when he has some time. reallllly hope this fixes things.

also also, FUCK. i. just. want. to. make. noises. the Zoom L12 is so cool. really like the design. it's way of playing back audio from the computer is a little weird, but not.... bad. just odd.

but it is FUCKED on my system. using a Windows 10 pc, never had any problems with any other audio interfaces. but every program i try to make noise with, it either only works until another program is launched and wants to do sound, then crashes and my system can't see the L12, or runs in that program for a little bit, then crashes, then my system can't see the L12.

back and forthing with the Zoom tech over email, he said he needs to contact programmers in Japan.

which.... is not.... promising. i like this thing, but might have to return it and grab the AR16 if we don't get it sorted in the next week or so.

THINGS.

PLEASE.

JUST. WORK.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Warpsmasher » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:35 am

I think a good mix of trigger and gate sequencers is best, since you need the longer gate signals for some things and the shorter triggers for others. Voltage Memory has adjustable length in the gate sequencer mode, but lately I just use it as a 6x CV sequencer (64 steps). I could easily make full use of another one in gate seq mode. Gamesystem and Rhythm also have adjustable gate length.
Pico Trigg is a perfect supplemental/secondary trigger sequencer which also works great as the main system clock, but I usually stick with the Wogglebug for that, because of the instablility, which causes light fluctuations in the tempo.
Noise Reap RPG is currently on the top of my short list, probably my next module after E352.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:33 am

behndy wrote:
D.o.S. wrote:Brain seed is best seed.

breakdown how to use Le Head Meat Seeder for an idiot. i have set mine up a few times and got distracted or frustrated.

or both.

Frustractated.

Going to C&P my PM here in case I got anything wrong and or other people find it helpful:

The brainseed is stupid powerful but it's not the most obvious module. IDK what kind of sequencing you're trying to do with it but the big things that made it click for me:

Seed In. This is your bread and butter: throw an LFO in it and it'll record the LFO as steps in your sequence. Throw in another Sequencer and it will record that as the steps, etc. This is where the magic starts.

ReSeed is the first thing that makes things fun. Once you have it armed, whenever it's triggered it will save the voltage of the input going into the Seed at the same time linked to your clock source (i.e. it's saving the voltage at every step and can output those, too).

Length: Pretty self explanatory, if the LED is off it's in "infinite mode", which will save up to 1000 steps and reset if ReSeed is triggered (this is where ReSeed comes in, because you can use it to musically adjust the length of your sequence via triggers and the like (or another CV source... let's say you have a Gate that you've got synched to the rhythm of your track which is alternating in 5/8 and 7/8 because you're embracing your inner Tool Fan: The sequence is running in free mode but resetting -- or ReSeeding -- to the rhythm of the track you've created. Which is dope.)

If the LED is on, it's a standard 8/16/32 step sampler.

Cycle In: This is your clock in, basically. The cool thing about it is that it can take normal clocks or CV Sources. LFOs are super cool to use with this if you want a slightly out-there Cycle Source. The LED indicates where you are in the sequence, as well as whether ReSeed is on.

Freeze In: Kind of like ReSeed, triggers to this one will freeze the sequence where it is. Really really cool with one-shot triggers, obviously.

Hope this helps!
I've found this one-pager to be invaluable:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4iuDs ... V2Rnc/view
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mr. sound boy king » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:27 am

Inconuucl wrote:
MrNovember wrote:I have never considered pairing my Ears with a touche sequencer like the Voltage Memory, but that is a brilliant idea and I have serious gas now. Are there any options out there other than the Voltage Memory or Pressure Points? I'm tempted to build a tiny rack that is just Voltage Memory and Ears

Add one of those to this tiny rack and you have yourself a really cute instrument.

NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby mr. sound boy king » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:30 am

WMD CHIMERA IN.

This module is obese. It has much more flex than that 10 minute no talking demo. Stretching sounds and modulating hard leads to BIA-complementary noise swash. Plus can do boom, or click, or clank, simply. It loves to have its inputs stuffed and I ran out of modulation with both it and BIA going full bore.

To conclude, very yes module. Look forward to spending more time with. Also complements Equation Composer really nicely (BIT WIZARDS).
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby dozicusmaximus » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:24 am

mr. sound boy king wrote:It loves to have its inputs stuffed.

:animal:

Here it is. It's done, for now. I have the Xerest Pola, Extra Mullet, Pico Logic, Tool-Box on the way.
I might switch out the Midi for another Quadratt if I need it. Since I'm not using the Midi at all right now.
The rack, Digitakt, pedals and BSP. Will be my focus for a long while. Throw in some guitar and bass. Plug all this into a mixer and figure out how to make stupid videos with the Ipad.

I did a Lag & Hold thing (I think) with the Sport Mod and the Loquelic last night. It was pretty bad ass. The Sport Mod is fucking awesome. :omg:

dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:01 am

I am still listenin' to this patch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O52o2wyqY0

… but now I'm listenin' to this at the same time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x4kBKe3fc8

:idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dark Barn » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:07 pm

I could look it up but: does the BrainSeed have a built in quantizer? Seems like a cool module!

I found a trader for my Stillson Hammer so I have a Rainmaker on the way. Probably more beast than I need, still looking for a DLD most likely.
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear