Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby kbit » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:42 pm

So after having my 3rd sequencer not work with the telharmonic shift register mode, I emailed make noise to see if there was some sort of calibration issue with my module. They recommended that I try putting the gate out for my sequencer through maths as a gate delay, and it worked like a charm. Multing the pitch sequence to modulate the timbre controls is super cool, I was getting a polymetric juxtaposition of harmonics by using a 4 step sequence. (4 step x 3 voices = harmonic phasing)

It's definitely the coolest things about the module like I had hoped, but I'm kinda bummed that I have to use a channel of maths to make it work.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby behndy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Inconuucl wrote:Looks like Pamela...

... Isn't working out for you. :cool:

[YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHH]

HAHHHAHAHHAHHAHAHH. YEAH. THAT.

..... that's actually pretty cute. HUGS.

vidret wrote:And behndy, just update if there's an update.

distortions - the TRSHMSTER is BOSS, i really REALLY like the distortion on the Happy Nerding VCF.

Pam's - ALM said -

"PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:55 am Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
behndy, you have a few options;

1. Physically sync your DAW to Pam via MIDI or Audio pulses etc so BPM's precisely match.

2. Uses your DAWS timestretch / import tools to better fit the recording to the DAWs grid.

3. Recalibrate Pams internal clock so that its representation of X BPM better matches your DAWs representation of X BPM (see Pam manual for details)."

annnnnd 1 would be easiest, but i think the problem lies with the Pam's, and it's a new problem. i've used Pam's for main clocking for every bit of euro shtuff i've done, never noticed slide before. going to look at calibration tonight.

but yeah. gonna update first.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby kbit » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:24 pm

vidret wrote:
vidret wrote:oh yeah, i'm trying to avoid getting a straight up distortion module (might have to get a cinnamon or some other filter that can do 1v/oct and work as distortion as well)

but until then, ideas for getting a truly nasty, distorted sound? still being able to hear the note though, so it can't just be FM-ing the fuck outta the oscillator or something.

this, still.

And behndy, just update if there's an update.

You could try FMing your filter at high resonance with the sub from your STO, or the audio Wogglebug outputs. Or self FM/shape modulation on the STO with the sub out.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:30 pm

What's the best modular rig for me to jam on this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLfKVzCZ0EA
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dark Barn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:38 pm

Behndy: if you are just BPM matching your DAW to Pam's and not syncing or slaving the DAW's clock then I'm surprised you are only now having a problem. Maybe it's more noticeable because of the slow 30 BPM. I don't know if Cubase can slave to an external pulse, I use Logic which can't. I instead slave Pam's to my DAW clock. I use the Shuttle Control for this, (which I think you have,) but other options are to use the Pam's expander or to use an audio track from Cubase and send pulses to Pam's via your audio interface.
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:05 pm

My non-distortion modules that do the distorts :

- Manhattan Analog CP3 mixer. Very nice overdrive.
- Doepfer A119 external input processor. Tons of gain, gets nasty.
- Music Thing Mikrophonie. Same as above.
- WMD/SSF UltraFold : awesome wavefolder with a feedback input that can be used/abused in many ways, and tons of interesting parameters to modulate.
- Bastl Cinnamon. Lots of gain and the character switches can do magic things too.

My PicoDSP and Chronoblob can also distort but it's more unintentional digital clipping (which can have its uses) :).
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby kbit » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:39 pm

Alternatively, run your whole mix through an input of maths and take the EOR/EOC out for sonic mayhem.

Also, I just ordered an Intellijel 104hp/7u case and a Quadratt
:yay: :!!!: :yay:

So this (plus an SQ-1) will be me at the end of the week:

kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:37 am

Yeah, my Maths and Doepfer A172 Max/Min can fuck things up too if needed, good point :).

Nice for the 7U. I recommend using a guitar stand if you want to put some effects/etc. or a mixer in front of it. Quadratt is super useful, too.
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby baremountain » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:45 am

So what's up with quantizers? Do y'all use them? Is there one that's better bang/buck than the uScale from intellijel?
Seems pretty necessary for doing ambient and stuff?
Also dang kbit, that is a sick setup!
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Ruiner » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:41 am

baremountain wrote:So what's up with quantizers? Do y'all use them? Is there one that's better bang/buck than the uScale from intellijel?

I use the Instruo Harmonaig and it's probably my favorite module I own. It's a very specific quantizer though.... Here's some info:

"Chord Generating Quantizer: Harmonaig

The four outputs are root, third, fifth and seventh for routeing to four tuned oscillators. There’s a handy unison mode you can enable to let you tune your oscillators to the same pitch. The top knob controls the chord inversion and reorders the voicing. The second knob is the voicing spread which he likens to dropping root notes on guitar. Both knobs are CV controllable. The transpose slider gives you two octaves up and down from the current CV level.

Around the big knob is the “chord quality” which is the type of chord being used. You can also use the little keyboard at the bottom to specify your chord notes. In quantize mode the notes are restricted to the knob settings. In performance mode then all notes are available. There are four places on the chord quality wheel that can be set by the user, so you can create and store your own chord clusters.

Harmonàig also has built-in musical modes, like Ionian, Dorian etc. This affects the chord quality selection. He says it acts like a tonal colour palette as each mode will have its own characteristic. It’s fascinatingly musical."
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby baremountain » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:20 am

Yeah, I was looking at that! It seems cool but it's also huge.
Now I'm looking at the Telharmonic which seems to offer a ton of useful controls and ways to synthesize chords. I think I've got a damn good starting rig planned out. This plus my KMix should give me plenty in the way of outputs, and I'll be able to do most of my fx with guitar pedals which is great bc I have enough of them that are CV capable that it'll be like having modules.
I've been reading about all the Mannequins stuff and it seems awesome. I didn't get it at first -their descriptions seem a little fantastical, rather than concrete and useful, but maybe that's bc they don't want to limit your mindset about what it does? - but I reread some of the Just Friends and Cold Mac manuals today and I think they'll be super useful.

Here's what I've got after a couple of weeks of planning:

solo tunes:
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dark Barn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:10 pm

I really like all the Mannequins gear! And regarding quantizers have a look at Ornament + Crime it's a multifunction module but it does quantizing, and analog shift register and linear feedback shift register (Turing Machine) and a few other bells and whistles.
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:20 pm

look at O&C yes they are awesome LOOK AT MINES IT'S IN BST OH YES IT IS.

...... i TOTALLY have never inappropriately rubbed bits on it. really.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby kbit » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:22 pm

baremountain wrote:So what's up with quantizers? Do y'all use them? Is there one that's better bang/buck than the uScale from intellijel?

Thank ya (& everyone else too) :hug:

If you can do diy look at the Penrose quantizer. Doesn't have the fancy features of the uScale but does have some cool trigger options, and it seems more "playable" than most others. I know ADDAC has a fancy quantizer but might be overkill/more spendy.

Also since your looking at the Telharmonic, looking into the shift register mode. It has the ability to quantize incoming CV to build evolving chords. Check out the example in the beginning when they use the Maths output as a voltage source.

kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby baremountain » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:26 pm

oh my shit that shift register has me :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Also yeah the O&C is something I've been meaning to check out. I need someone to buy one of my guitars so I can take the plunge & start buying, but if no one's hit you up by then I might get @ you behndy.

solo tunes:
associated acts:

baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear