10 fuzzes to rule them all!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: 10 fuzzes to rule them all!

Postby Eivind August » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:00 pm

decomposing wrote:
Eivind August wrote:Hmmmm, let's see....

1. Lastgasp Art Laboratories 88 Super Oscillo Fuzz - my everythang.
2. Fuzzhugger AB-Synth/Sonic Shroom - dem droanz and suboctaves.
3. Dwarfcraft She Fuzz - cuts through everything.
4. Mellowtone Wolf Computer - instant videogame satisfaction.
4. Shoe Pedals Silver Apple Deluxe - deeper videogame satisfaction.
6. MASF Thornoscillator - harsh noise wonderland.
7. 4ms Noise Swash - deep noise processor.
8. Dwarfcraft The Great Destroyer - unusual sounds generator.
9. Electro-Faustus EF103 Guitar Disruptor - digital sound mangler.
10. Ehm, superfuzzes?

Damn, need to rebuy several of these once I've got a more steady income.

I'd like to try all of these!
:eek:

You should. Let the oscillations consume thy earthly vessel. :zen:
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby neonblack » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:52 pm

I'm going to pretend that by "fuzz" we just mean dirt in general.

1-ss/bs Mini - Till the day I die. Super fucking versatile and sounds great at any setting.
2-ss/bs Buzzz - basically covers any ground that the Mini doesn't. Gnarliest fuzz around
3-ss/bs Fuck - (noticing a trend here?) Just recently started to appreciate this guy. My "clean" tone
4- INFANEM Driving Notion - one of the weirdest clangiest dirt boxes I've heard
5- Fairfield Unpleasant Surprise - Broken compressor fuzz swells FTW. And DAT DECAY
6- INFANEM STEP - Super solid utilitarian dirt box. From green ringer to full on thick fuzz
7- RMA Dirty Doper - What is even happening here. The sound of your synth hating you.
8- Earthbound Audio Supercollider '71 - The only muff ive ever truly loved
9- RM-1N - I'm Counting it. Unrelenting waves of fuzz.
10- INFANEM Second Voice - Suboctave/Harmony fuzz. Noisy when you want. Polite when you want. Always goes down smooth.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Kojak the Ripper » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:44 pm

if i only could have ten :

Analog Fox Tone Scrambler
Boss HM-2
Industrialectric RM-1N
Industrialectric 4046-M
Minotaur Sonic Terrors Fuzz & Burn
RetroTone Ennio
Roland Funny Cat AG-5
Shin-ei FY-2 companion (don't own this one)
WMD Geiger Counter Bass Mod
Wren & Cuff The Caprid
Last edited by Kojak the Ripper on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:59 am, edited 7 times in total.
Kojak the Ripper

interested
interested

Postby Paul_C » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:06 pm

Langtronics Bone Collector
BitQuest
BitQuest
BitQuest
BitQuest
BitQuest
BitQuest
BitQuest
BitQuest
BitQuest

That should do nicely :)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:56 pm

For whoever was interested in a beebaa clone .. I'm pretty sure the Black Arts Tone Works Black Sheep is a beebaa with a selector for input caps.

1.) Skyripper (built it this last week)
2.) Harmonic transformer
3.) FZ-2. Real talk
4.) Supersonic Fuzz Gun
5.) Soundwave breakdown
6.) Tonebender MkII Si
7.) DAM meathead
8.) Algal Bloom
9.) DOOM bloom
10.) Naughty Stir PLL 2.0
There's more .. but a good man has to know his limitations
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sluttyindian » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:49 pm

In no particular order...

1) Castledine Wizard - (Laney + rangemaster)
2) D*A*M Tonebender MKII with oc75s
3) Jerms MKI Tone Bender
4) EQD Fuzz Master General (Superfuzz/FM-2)
5) Sola Sound MK 1.5 with OC75s
6) D*A*M 1966 with SFT trannies (Vox tonebender)
7) D*A*M Fuzzrong germanium (mossrite fuzzrite)
8) D*A*M Fuzz Sound FS-75 (Tone bender III/IV)
9) EQD Terminal Fuzz (Companion FY-2)
10) EQD Hoof (Russian Muff)

Thatll do donkey, thatll do
sluttyindian

interested
interested

Postby MrNovember » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:13 pm

I should update my list from like 3 years ago.

1) Dr Scientist Frazz Dazzler
2) Fairfield Circuitry Unpleasant Surprise
3) Dwarfcraft Secret Destroyer
4) Industrialelectric 4046-m
5) SS/BS Pretty Years (regret trading this one away :()
6) SS/BS Mini
7) SS/BS TAFM
8) SS/BS Buzzz
9) Retromechanical Labs 432k (never owned, but serious gas)
10) Retromechanical Labs Electron Fuzz (never owned, but serious gas)
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby realmacaroni » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:08 am

dod carcosa
henretta bluebird
eqd bit commander
greer angry hornet
eqd hoof reaper
a fuzz factory
a sun face
maybe ehx green russian?
i dunno...swollen pickle
something boutique and unknown to me at this time i guess...
realmacaroni

interested
interested

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:12 am

This thread slays
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:27 am

BetterOffShred wrote:This thread slays

I've gotten back into fuzz really intensely (misused adverb but whatever). Eivind's channel is an awesome resource.
I have a ton of fuzzes and am now on the hunt for something 'different'. The RMA Dirty Doper is a great example. Even if one doesn't like the sounds, the approach is so out of the box thinking (imo).

I kind of want a Devi 'Truly Beautiful Disaster' but I kind of don't want to pay a million dollars ($225) for one. I talked to some ILF Friends about this but I'll post it here. I want to add an expression jack to most of my fuzz pedals per the engineering of LAL 88 and Your and You're. I like sweeping fuzzes.

So two "important" criteria for fuzzes for me now (again I already have like 10 so adding rules is fun):
1. Feedback loop / FX Loop
2. Expression
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:33 pm

Fredrik doesn't make it anymore, but I have a vero layout for .. This little beauty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0QH5iouiII
I recommend viewing the whole video as it does some crazy stuff. I'm totally going to build one.
When I built my Parallel Universe 2, I put in an expression jack for the "Frequency" pot so you can control the oscillation sweep, and do sub-octave dive bombs. I haven't used it yet, usually just use my hand.. :joy: I think when Colin made the run of them he sold, they all had that feature, but I can't say for sure.
I just (like last week) built a germanium Skyripper from Joe Gagan's designs (with some Dino Mods) and it has an effects loop built in which is pretty cool. The heart of the glitch on this pedal is the "rip" mode that you turn on and then you have a "Rip Bias" pot, which I may end up retrofitting as an expression jack as well. I built it in an XX sized box so there's room.

Expression jacks are really a function of having a control that is useful/feasible to run as an expression or finding a component that you can omit, run two wires, and then mount on a switching jack for external control. I need to buy an expression pedal. I wonder if a dude could install a 4PDT rotary or something switching in different values parallel to the control pot inside the housing so you could vary the range of your "expression" pot inside the pedal.

Anyways.. back out of the weeds ;)
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:41 pm

That's basically what I want, an oscillation sweep. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, there are more than enough circuits I love for the sound...it's just a function thing. Feedback loop would be secondary. I don't think I would add that to anything I already own but I need to look into expression.

Thanks for your input Brett. You should post more of your DIY stuff.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:32 pm

$harkToootth wrote:That's basically what I want, an oscillation sweep. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, there are more than enough circuits I love for the sound...it's just a function thing. Feedback loop would be secondary. I don't think I would add that to anything I already own but I need to look into expression.

Thanks for your input Brett. You should post more of your DIY stuff.

My DIY stuff isn't really that great looking, :no: but it all sounds good :thumb:
I've built a ton of stuff, and it's pretty much all clones or variations of things that exist or once existed. I really want to build a Naughty Stir 2.0 (as its called on the schematic) with an effects loop, it's pretty bananas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KBxbR7osUk
I just built a regular model and it's amaze-sauce.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:18 am

BetterOffShred wrote:heart of the glitch on this pedal is the "rip" mode that you turn on and then you have a "Rip Bias" pot, which I may end up retrofitting as an expression jack as well. I built it in an XX sized box so there's room.

This sounds so sick.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby goroth » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:26 am

goroth wrote:Hey Tris, can you tell a bit more about how you are using the caracol? I've been intrigued for ages but hardly understand the description, and Adam's videos never jibe with me. Sorry Adam. I've totally bashed him for it before.. :facepalm:

My list, in no order:
1. Fuzzhugger Velcroar
2. Fuzzhugger Arc Flash
3. Dr Scientist Frazz Dazzler
4. Jordan Bosstone
5. Fairfield Unpleasant Surprise

Just outside that top 5 are the Algal Bloom, Copilot Mantis ii, SSBS 4545. But if I had to be brutal and keep it to 5, they wouldn't get a look in. I like the fuck OD too much as an OD to include it in a fuzz list. Unless I custom ordered a double fuck, one set to crackly OD the other set to everything maxed.

Hmm... Brian...

A few more fuzz reflections:
I haven't played enough Muff - only really given time to a Musket, and it was nice, but didn't grab me.
I've never played a Fuzzface.
Don't have enough experience with 60s fuzz. I've been so focused on building up my gig board that it just hasn't been on the cards for me. But now that the gig board is in a relative state of harmony I'm going to have to do some experimenting!
Want to play a PWM fuzz.

My list will become more definitive once I sort out a few of my fuzz deficiencies.

My first fuzz: Arc Flash. It's always going to be my first love.

That list is almost 3.5 years old.
Still pretty true.
Suneater with degain (a Velcroar variant) is maybe the most fun pedal I have - it just makes me want to play the guitar
New version of Frazz is stupidly good. Gain on lowest, voltage a smidge above oscillation, mids on max. HNNNNNNG!
Arc Flash should be on everyone's board. I might have to hit up Tom for a dual arc flash. It is crazy good. Clean boost. Frizzle fry fuzz. You name it.
Unpleasant Surprise rules. But maybe the Velcrobot rules harder... maybe? They're two peas in a pod.
And I still love the Bosstone. If I ever get my DIY skills to be better than total shit I will make a clone/variant of the Trombetta thing, because I want dem horn tones.

Still never really played a Muff - I've got a VTF but you can dial in so many other sounds it never really sounds like a muff. Played a musket but it just was like a shittier version of The Elements. But I still get caught up in the gas hype for muffs. Still haven't done much 60s fuzzing.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear