10 fuzzes to rule them all!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: 10 fuzzes to rule them all!

Postby rfurtkamp » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:41 am

rfurtkamp wrote:I don't need ten. Counting dirt boxes in general in this category, since I see other HM-2 and other mentions.

Ampeg Scrambler (any of the modern clones are fine, don't care)
Fender Blender (original, RI, clone, don't care)
Devi Test Pattern (which has to be cloned these days, since it's not in production and hasn't been in a long time, an absolutely essential piece of kit for me now
Roland Bee Baa (clone, original, don't matter, I miss my old one badly and it's on my list to get another)
MXR Blue Box (original, RI, clone, who cares)
Boss GL-100 (technically not a fuzz, but an entire 2 channel rack preamp, it gets HM-2 and everything else Boss of that era in one box and gets super-splatty with rack-headroom when pushed)
ART SGE Mk2 (digital distortion from the first generation of digital distortion. Nasty, ugly, bright, everything terrible from the late 80s in one box, and you can reverse gate verb it. Definitely not a primary distortion but on the second amp, hell yes)

Those are my only *essential* ones. I love my other couple dozen and then some...but those are the ones I would buy immediately again after say a fire.

I still don't really need ten. The list hasn't changed much in years. I've gotten a proper Bee Baa clone (with ugly treble boost and all), so not wanting it any more since I have it. SGE is a maintenance hassle and I only pull it out for special occasions now, and the Devi Test Pattern is bumped by my vastly improved Godbox version with extra features and built-in sag.

So, the 2017 version:

Ampeg Scrambler (any of the modern clones are fine, don't care)
Fender Blender (original, RI, clone, don't care)
Godbox Test Pattern from Hell (better than the Devi in so many ways, yet does everything it did as well - schematic available with permission of the dude who worked up the changes for me)
Roland Bee Baa (clone, original, don't matter, but it HAS to have the right ugly original treble boost and not be some modern rethinking crap)
MXR Blue Box (original, RI, clone, who cares)
Boss GL-100 (I have two now!)
Boss HM-2 (because, well, even though the GL-100 gets me there, the HM-2 does all the time and frees up the monsters for other stuff!)
Godbox 1893 World's Fair (heavily modded germanium Fuzz Face with sag and modern conveniences)
Source Audio Kingmaker (or any of the other two gain pedals from Source in the line, since they're all the same inside with the same patches and sound options) - a nice catch-all for dirt and the first digital dirt I've actually ever LIKED because it was good, not just because it was ugly.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jazznrick » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:23 am

a 95 percent bassist and 5 percent guitarist's list

D*A*M Dragonfly DF-06
Spaceman Titan ll
Emanating Fist Electronics Dope Priest (bass one)
DOD Carcosa
EHX Green Russian
Hovercraft Ionostrofear
Frazz Dazzler
Frantone Cream Puff
RabbitHole FX Chaosmic Fuzz
Jext Telez Dizzy Tone v2 (haven't played but I'm always meaning to get one when it isn't double the rest listed)
jazznrick

interested
interested

Postby Eivind August » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:36 am

$harkToootth wrote:Eivind's channel is an awesome resource.

:hug:

Eivind August wrote:Hmmmm, let's see....

1. Lastgasp Art Laboratories 88 Super Oscillo Fuzz - my everythang.
2. Fuzzhugger AB-Synth/Sonic Shroom - dem droanz and suboctaves.
3. Dwarfcraft She Fuzz - cuts through everything.
4. Mellowtone Wolf Computer - instant videogame satisfaction.
4. Shoe Pedals Silver Apple Deluxe - deeper videogame satisfaction.
6. MASF Thornoscillator - harsh noise wonderland.
7. 4ms Noise Swash - deep noise processor.
8. Dwarfcraft The Great Destroyer - unusual sounds generator.
9. Electro-Faustus EF103 Guitar Disruptor - digital sound mangler.
10. Ehm, superfuzzes?

Damn, need to rebuy several of these once I've got a more steady income.

Yeah, this seems about right. Still need to rebuy a Great Destroyer at some point, miss having one around.
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby ck3 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:18 pm

List for guitars with various numbers of strings and tunings (no particular order or ranking and mostly categories vs. specific fuzzes):

1. Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom V2, which is almost versatile enough to be the entire list
2. Harmonic Percolator (any non-neutered clone will do), e.g., Customeffects, Barge Concepts, Zander Circuitry, JDM Pedals
3. Proco Rat clone with enhanced controls and the mojo opamp, e.g., Yellowcake Furry Burrito, Earthbound Audio Iron Pig
4. Something that can produce screechy, velcro-ish textures with arpeggiation when playing in the upper register, e.g., Fuzzhugger Velcrobot or Zvex Fuzz Factory
5. A Bee Baa clone that has a good approximation of the original tone stack and at least offers two fuzz modes, e.g., Maxon Fire, Earthbound Audio Pale Mare or a heavily-modded Big Muff (any circuit type) with mids
6. Ampeg Scrambler clones with a blend control that can exceed unity gain if needed or other unique upper octaver, e.g., Maxon Void, Shoe Frog
7. Bitcrushing device, preferably with a blend control and the ability to both receive and goose other gain sources well (still looking, but love my WMD Geiger Counter)
8. Something in the Tim Escobedo Uglyface family or a PLL clone or suboctave fuzz like the Catalinbread Perseus
9. Buzzaroud or Dizzy Tone clone, e.g., ARC Crimson King, Jext Telez
10. Anything with horn-like qualities, e.g., Holowon Static Egg, J. Rockett WTF
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:19 pm

^^^I like Harmonic Percs. I have the Even Anguish from Dirge and I have a Ver. I Unit 731 coming in (after Mr. JonnyAngle etches it). I love my geiger counter too. I also like my fuzz factory and Rats with enhanced controls.
...and things with horn like qualities. The Mid-Fi psych bike does that well. It's my T. REX 'Beltane Walk' tone. :)*
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby infamousalien » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:36 pm

$harkToootth wrote:I have a Ver. I Unit 731 coming in

Wait, some one actually named a pedal Unit 731????????
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:44 pm

infamousalien wrote:

The one I ordered won't have that graphic which is a shame but also not a shame as it's going to Dropping Acid Pedal Etching. The one I'm getting was originally the poster formally known as jwar's which then went to xrleroyx and now me.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby infamousalien » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:50 pm

$harkToootth wrote:
infamousalien wrote:

The one I ordered won't have that graphic which is a shame but also not a shame as it's going to Dropping Acid Pedal Etching. The one I'm getting was originally the poster formally known as jwar's which then went to xrleroyx and now me.

That's in pretty bad taste to name a pedal that IMO. I wonder how the families of people tortured and killed by Unit 731 would feel about that.
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:00 pm

Not that I'm trying to rationalize it but in this context it's an homage to a graphic exploitation film MEN BEHIND THE SUN. The graphic is from one of the more famous scenes in the film. The film is over the top and the take on the harmonic perc is over the top. I think the name came from a love of exploitation cinema and using an crazy Japanese transistor for maximum mayhem. Regardless, my pedal won't have that graphic.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby infamousalien » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:03 pm

$harkToootth wrote:Not that I'm trying to rationalize it but in this context it's an homage to a graphic exploitation film MEN BEHIND THE SUN. The graphic is from one of the more famous scenes in the film. The film is over the top and the take on the harmonic perc is over the top. I think the name came from a love of exploitation cinema and using an crazy Japanese transistor for maximum mayhem. Regardless, my pedal won't have that graphic.

Eh, still. http://www.nytimes.com/1995/03/17/world/unmasking-horror-a-special-report-japan-confronting-gruesome-war-atrocity.html?pagewanted=all.

Edit: I don't really care about the movie graphic. Just what the real life 731 did. Not really upset about it or anything. Not judging you either. I just think it's in bad taste.
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:12 pm

No worries brother. Didn't take it as judgement. I probably shouldn't have posted about it. :hug:
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:42 am

$harkToootth wrote:...and things with horn like qualities. The Mid-Fi psych bike does that well. It's my T. REX 'Beltane Walk' tone. :)*

Oooh...
Intrigued!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby fuzzonaut » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:46 am

100% bass, 0% guitar, no particular order, list goes to 11:

RML Mig Fuzz
EFE Dope Priest #7
FTelettronica PLL
Mountainking Megalith
Dunwich Fuzz Throne
Outsound Warthog
Aether E. Buzzaround
Fuzzhugger Bass Bloom
Industrialectric Incinerator
Earthbound Audio BEAST
T Pedals BassTard
Now: http://www.deepband.ch / https://fuzzonaut1.bandcamp.com / https://glimmbrand.bandcamp.com / https://soundcloud.com/fuzzonaut-1
Then: https://suiciderat.bandcamp.com / Short Films: https://vimeo.com/user28594850
Good deals: wfs1234, Gigahearts_FX, stanimal, greyscales, hatshirt, insubordination, xrleroyx, HolySchnikes, nevada, skullservant, earthbound, chuckjaywalk, D.o.S., antennafarm, skip, hbombgraphics, UC, jwar, nieh, laekna, Rygot, D-Rainger, behndy, jero
fuzzonaut

experienced
experienced

Postby fuzzonaut » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:54 am

Damn it, I forgot the Bluebeard .....
Now: http://www.deepband.ch / https://fuzzonaut1.bandcamp.com / https://glimmbrand.bandcamp.com / https://soundcloud.com/fuzzonaut-1
Then: https://suiciderat.bandcamp.com / Short Films: https://vimeo.com/user28594850
Good deals: wfs1234, Gigahearts_FX, stanimal, greyscales, hatshirt, insubordination, xrleroyx, HolySchnikes, nevada, skullservant, earthbound, chuckjaywalk, D.o.S., antennafarm, skip, hbombgraphics, UC, jwar, nieh, laekna, Rygot, D-Rainger, behndy, jero
fuzzonaut

experienced
experienced

Postby Big Mon » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:28 pm

n-n-n-n-necro bump!
1. Fuzzhugger Arc Flash
2. DOD Carcosa
3. Blue Box
4. Fuzzhugger Phantom Ring
5. Ehx Green Russian reissue
6. Devi SM