· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:58 am

Thanks! I'm loving it for synth stuff and clean sounds, it really casts a sharp spotlight on distortion/fuzz.. Very useful for circuit work, but not something I would really doom out on.

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:24 pm

If you're thinking about new drivers for the Traynor, the jensen tornado classics (neodymium) sound really good w/ traynor stuff (defo "airy" imo) and are nice n lightweight. not super efficient/sensitive tho compared to a hefty ceramic.

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:11 am

interested in hearing how it held up at practice and any other details when ya get a chance

waltdogg wrote:
odontophobia wrote:
waltdogg wrote:just picked up a marshall origin 50 today. i promise i'll get a pic of everything tomorrow. all my amps are gonna be at my lockout for practice tomorrow.


Interesting to hear how you like the Origin.

i've been messing with them on and off since we started getting them at work. bringing my pedals in a week or two ago and really slamming one with my rig yielded some pretty satisfying results. so i figured i'd give it a shot when we got a 50 watter in again. but basically they sound like a marshall, bright and splashy. the tilt knob is pretty sweet though, it essentially blends the low gain and high gain channels that you'd find on a vintage marshall so you can get it just bright enough or make it dark and fuzzed out. i just swapped out the chinese preamp tubes for some tung-sols and a jj, we'll see how it sounds at practice tomorrow.

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:01 pm

greenmario wrote:interested in hearing how it held up at practice and any other details when ya get a chance

waltdogg wrote:
odontophobia wrote:
waltdogg wrote:just picked up a marshall origin 50 today. i promise i'll get a pic of everything tomorrow. all my amps are gonna be at my lockout for practice tomorrow.


Interesting to hear how you like the Origin.

i've been messing with them on and off since we started getting them at work. bringing my pedals in a week or two ago and really slamming one with my rig yielded some pretty satisfying results. so i figured i'd give it a shot when we got a 50 watter in again. but basically they sound like a marshall, bright and splashy. the tilt knob is pretty sweet though, it essentially blends the low gain and high gain channels that you'd find on a vintage marshall so you can get it just bright enough or make it dark and fuzzed out. i just swapped out the chinese preamp tubes for some tung-sols and a jj, we'll see how it sounds at practice tomorrow.


Yeah, I'm pretty interested in these for home use with the Cab Clone. Curious to see how it held up in the band context though.

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:53 pm

I’m also really curious about the Origin in a band setting, I love those ones we have at work, but they don’t seem super loud. I’m debating between the 50w head, a traynor YRM-1/YBA-1, or a MiG 50 to stereo with my JCM 900

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:15 pm

BoatRich wrote:I’m also really curious about the Origin in a band setting, I love those ones we have at work, but they don’t seem super loud. I’m debating between the 50w head, a traynor YRM-1/YBA-1, or a MiG 50 to stereo with my JCM 900


There's a 50w SLX on the Grand Rapids GC used website. Just get that instead. MATCH EM UP.

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:27 pm

odontophobia wrote:
BoatRich wrote:I’m also really curious about the Origin in a band setting, I love those ones we have at work, but they don’t seem super loud. I’m debating between the 50w head, a traynor YRM-1/YBA-1, or a MiG 50 to stereo with my JCM 900


There's a 50w SLX on the Grand Rapids GC used website. Just get that instead. MATCH EM UP.

Two SLX’s would be really sick.... extra power tube distortion on one side.

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:33 pm

Sorry for the shitty pics but I don't have a good camera with me until tuesday..
I just bought this Ampeg V2, damn it sounds good and is flexible. I'm so stoked ! :yay: :joy:
It's so clean too !

Image
Image

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:02 pm

hot damn that's a fine example of a v-2. i have a vt-22 chassis that's fairly clean, pulled it from a combo and put it in a late 70's v-4b head box that was in good condition. cleanest "v-4" i've every owned.

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:11 pm

waltdogg wrote:hot damn that's a fine example of a v-2. i have a vt-22 chassis that's fairly clean, pulled it from a combo and put it in a late 70's v-4b head box that was in good condition. cleanest "v-4" i've every owned.


It's crazy there's not a single scratch on the graphics, grill cloth, logo ... just super clean. I'm really stoked about it.
Also really glad to have found a V2, this amp is already stupidly loud, can't imagine a V4. It would be way overkill for me. I'm really pleased with how it sounds sor far, even if I didn't really have time to play much with it. Not sure if it's because I'm attenuating it and it's partially the attenuator or what but it gets dirty pretty fast, I mean it gets fucking loud clean but overdrives at around 10 o'clock.. I'm actually pleased with that, I love some drive and it's cool that it don't need to push it super hard and destroy my attenuator (10W) to get some drive :)

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:45 am

JTurbide wrote:
waltdogg wrote:hot damn that's a fine example of a v-2. i have a vt-22 chassis that's fairly clean, pulled it from a combo and put it in a late 70's v-4b head box that was in good condition. cleanest "v-4" i've every owned.


It's crazy there's not a single scratch on the graphics, grill cloth, logo ... just super clean. I'm really stoked about it.
Also really glad to have found a V2, this amp is already stupidly loud, can't imagine a V4. It would be way overkill for me. I'm really pleased with how it sounds sor far, even if I didn't really have time to play much with it. Not sure if it's because I'm attenuating it and it's partially the attenuator or what but it gets dirty pretty fast, I mean it gets fucking loud clean but overdrives at around 10 o'clock.. I'm actually pleased with that, I love some drive and it's cool that it don't need to push it super hard and destroy my attenuator (10W) to get some drive :)

that's awesome, i'm jealous.
i almost never use my v-4 because it's so loud and heavy. the 70s v series amps overdrive very quickly. they're known for being loud because they spit out full power as soon as the volume knob hits a point that the guitar signal comes through (which is about 9 o'clock) so once you turn up a bit more they overdrive. this also might be a mandela effect and we crossed over into a universe where the v-4 is now a loud distortion monster instead of a a loud super clean mean machine. or the components in these amps have ages to a certain point where the amp distorts a lot more now. OR they always did did this and people were just too scared to turn them up.

(the reason why the v-4 is seemingly such a distorted amp now is something i love to speculate about)

also, ampegs in general overdrive easier the higher the eq is turned up. i forget why they do this, but the more the preamp frequencies are boosted overall the more distored of a signal the power amp gets hit with.

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:28 am

both the ampeg and the earth are sick. hope you like them.

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:20 pm

I really love them both !
I just opened it and cleaned the ampeg a little, it's got some old Sylvania power tubes, also magnavox and westinghouse are in there, not sure which is what.. I didn't really took the time to figure it out. Original sprague caps too ! Tubes might all be original or really old anyway because the guy (in his 40s-50s) says he never changed them and has had this since college and they seems to have 70s serial numbers so .. pretty cool :)*

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:31 pm

JTurbide wrote:Sorry for the shitty pics but I don't have a good camera with me until tuesday..
I just bought this Ampeg V2, damn it sounds good and is flexible. I'm so stoked ! :yay: :joy:
It's so clean too !

Image
Image


That is a Great looking V2, I have a v4 and there is barely any print left on the front of it. It was also put in a different shell at some point. I love the sound of it, I usually run it at about 11-12 o'clock. I have a attenuator to help control it so neighbors don't hear too much of it.

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:36 pm

^^ p much where I keep my gain/volume controls as well. Although sometimes I'll crank the master volume to around 3 o'clock if I really wanna go deaf. Recently invested in some of those fancy looking hearos ear plugs so maybe I'll start bumping it up a bit more often.
Post a reply