Let's see your AMP!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby odontophobia » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:15 pm

BoatRich wrote:I’m also really curious about the Origin in a band setting, I love those ones we have at work, but they don’t seem super loud. I’m debating between the 50w head, a traynor YRM-1/YBA-1, or a MiG 50 to stereo with my JCM 900

There's a 50w SLX on the Grand Rapids GC used website. Just get that instead. MATCH EM UP.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BoatRich » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:27 pm

odontophobia wrote:
BoatRich wrote:I’m also really curious about the Origin in a band setting, I love those ones we have at work, but they don’t seem super loud. I’m debating between the 50w head, a traynor YRM-1/YBA-1, or a MiG 50 to stereo with my JCM 900

There's a 50w SLX on the Grand Rapids GC used website. Just get that instead. MATCH EM UP.

Two SLX’s would be really sick.... extra power tube distortion on one side.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JTurbide » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:33 pm

Sorry for the shitty pics but I don't have a good camera with me until tuesday..
I just bought this Ampeg V2, damn it sounds good and is flexible. I'm so stoked ! :yay: :joy:
It's so clean too !

JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby waltdogg » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:02 pm

hot damn that's a fine example of a v-2. i have a vt-22 chassis that's fairly clean, pulled it from a combo and put it in a late 70's v-4b head box that was in good condition. cleanest "v-4" i've every owned.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JTurbide » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:11 pm

waltdogg wrote:hot damn that's a fine example of a v-2. i have a vt-22 chassis that's fairly clean, pulled it from a combo and put it in a late 70's v-4b head box that was in good condition. cleanest "v-4" i've every owned.

It's crazy there's not a single scratch on the graphics, grill cloth, logo ... just super clean. I'm really stoked about it.
Also really glad to have found a V2, this amp is already stupidly loud, can't imagine a V4. It would be way overkill for me. I'm really pleased with how it sounds sor far, even if I didn't really have time to play much with it. Not sure if it's because I'm attenuating it and it's partially the attenuator or what but it gets dirty pretty fast, I mean it gets fucking loud clean but overdrives at around 10 o'clock.. I'm actually pleased with that, I love some drive and it's cool that it don't need to push it super hard and destroy my attenuator (10W) to get some drive :)
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby waltdogg » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:45 am

JTurbide wrote:
waltdogg wrote:hot damn that's a fine example of a v-2. i have a vt-22 chassis that's fairly clean, pulled it from a combo and put it in a late 70's v-4b head box that was in good condition. cleanest "v-4" i've every owned.

It's crazy there's not a single scratch on the graphics, grill cloth, logo ... just super clean. I'm really stoked about it.
Also really glad to have found a V2, this amp is already stupidly loud, can't imagine a V4. It would be way overkill for me. I'm really pleased with how it sounds sor far, even if I didn't really have time to play much with it. Not sure if it's because I'm attenuating it and it's partially the attenuator or what but it gets dirty pretty fast, I mean it gets fucking loud clean but overdrives at around 10 o'clock.. I'm actually pleased with that, I love some drive and it's cool that it don't need to push it super hard and destroy my attenuator (10W) to get some drive :)

that's awesome, i'm jealous.
i almost never use my v-4 because it's so loud and heavy. the 70s v series amps overdrive very quickly. they're known for being loud because they spit out full power as soon as the volume knob hits a point that the guitar signal comes through (which is about 9 o'clock) so once you turn up a bit more they overdrive. this also might be a mandela effect and we crossed over into a universe where the v-4 is now a loud distortion monster instead of a a loud super clean mean machine. or the components in these amps have ages to a certain point where the amp distorts a lot more now. OR they always did did this and people were just too scared to turn them up.

(the reason why the v-4 is seemingly such a distorted amp now is something i love to speculate about)

also, ampegs in general overdrive easier the higher the eq is turned up. i forget why they do this, but the more the preamp frequencies are boosted overall the more distored of a signal the power amp gets hit with.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ummohyeah » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:28 am

both the ampeg and the earth are sick. hope you like them.
ummohyeah

committed
committed

Postby JTurbide » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:20 pm

I really love them both !
I just opened it and cleaned the ampeg a little, it's got some old Sylvania power tubes, also magnavox and westinghouse are in there, not sure which is what.. I didn't really took the time to figure it out. Original sprague caps too ! Tubes might all be original or really old anyway because the guy (in his 40s-50s) says he never changed them and has had this since college and they seems to have 70s serial numbers so .. pretty cool :)*
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby lefchr » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:31 pm

JTurbide wrote:Sorry for the shitty pics but I don't have a good camera with me until tuesday..
I just bought this Ampeg V2, damn it sounds good and is flexible. I'm so stoked ! :yay: :joy:
It's so clean too !

That is a Great looking V2, I have a v4 and there is barely any print left on the front of it. It was also put in a different shell at some point. I love the sound of it, I usually run it at about 11-12 o'clock. I have a attenuator to help control it so neighbors don't hear too much of it.
lefchr

committed
committed

Postby systemofameow » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:36 pm

^^ p much where I keep my gain/volume controls as well. Although sometimes I'll crank the master volume to around 3 o'clock if I really wanna go deaf. Recently invested in some of those fancy looking hearos ear plugs so maybe I'll start bumping it up a bit more often.
systemofameow

committed
committed

Postby JTurbide » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:30 am

^ I definitely need some good ear plugs too ! I saw APTBS last week, they were so loud ! I usually don't use earplugs but this time I had no choice, 2 different pairs a the venue and I was pretty pissed, one was kinda hurting me ears and sounded bad and the more expensive one cutted out litterally all the guitar frequencies, especially the mids ! I was shocked, I literally only heard the drum and bass..
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:44 pm

Good earplugs are super worth it! I never go to a show or band practice without them.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby systemofameow » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:23 pm

After a decade of feeling my eardrums disintegrating earplugs are pretty much a necessity for me now. :idk:
I hate the general foam kind though, they cut out too many frequencies and that foam is pretty much a haven for bacteria which isn't good for me because I'm really prone to getting ear infections. These are the kind I ended up getting. They're super comfy and the high end loss, to me anyway, seems very minimal. I've only used them for one practice so far and the clarity was so much better than anything else I've used. Initially I thought my amp was having volume issues so I popped one of them out for a sec and regrettably realized my amp was working just fine. :lol:

311_800x.jpg
311_800x.jpg (10.4 KiB) Viewed 6133 times

They're washable too which is a huge plus for me.
systemofameow

committed
committed

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:59 pm

Yeah it's worth investing in good quality washable plugs. Construction site foam ones ruin music.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby StivBrigggs » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:12 am

Here is my custom amp with my Hiwatt.
Waiting to get a wet/dry stereo set-up happening'