Let's see your AMP!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby blakestree » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:17 am

Muff_Diver wrote:I think its touch-sensitive enough that any kind of od/distortion is unnecessary.

Totally agree. Though, mine can react well to some light boost.
While leaves shall fall, do branches intertwine, that we remain bound.

Blake's Tree
blakestree

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Muff_Diver » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:20 am

blakestree wrote:
Muff_Diver wrote:I think its touch-sensitive enough that any kind of od/distortion is unnecessary.

Totally agree. Though, mine can react well to some light boost.

Ive been tempted to try something light out. I have SHO thats great with the twin but didnt get along well with the lightning. Im still in the honeymoon phase, so once that subsides Ill give the SHO a go. Pretty tempted to try a klon as well.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby horseblanket » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:30 pm

I am a recent convert to the Matchless/Badcat family.
These need more love. Just fantastic amps.

Muff_Diver wrote:Image
Got myself a DC30 this weekend. Now I need to make a cab for it.
horseblanket

committed
committed

Postby Cisco » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:13 pm

New cheap-ass bass amp.

Cisco

committed
committed

Postby Hypnodrone » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:57 am

Just pulled this one out of a storage container that was being emptied. Paid like $100 for this set, a Sony 1/2 inch tape machine, an EARTH amp head and a Peavey PA mixer. The Simms-Watts sounds freakin huge and so clean. Noise floor is extremely low, a barely audible hiss with preamp and master on 5, prescense all the way up. It had bad output tubes so they blew after 30 minutes. Need bias, new tubes and I'll rip the caps as well since it hasn't been played in a decade. Speakers are very good, one replacement that sounds a little brighter but I might score an original to swap out.

Hypnodrone

committed
committed

Postby JereFuzz » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Hypnodrone wrote:Just pulled this one out of a storage container that was being emptied. Paid like $100 for this set, a Sony 1/2 inch tape machine, an EARTH amp head and a Peavey PA mixer. The Simms-Watts sounds freakin huge and so clean. Noise floor is extremely low, a barely audible hiss with preamp and master on 5, prescense all the way up. It had bad output tubes so they blew after 30 minutes. Need bias, new tubes and I'll rip the caps as well since it hasn't been played in a decade. Speakers are very good, one replacement that sounds a little brighter but I might score an original to swap out.

Great for 60s/70s decor even if it doesn’t work - working is a plus ...
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:36 am

waltdogg wrote:lolol. yeah, i foolishly sold mine to a yokel back in orange county and never saved his number.

agreed. the studio is probably one of *the* best sounding low wattage, great breakup, takes pedals like a champ amp ever. superior to my ampeg g-18 easily.

Damn, you weren't kidding about it taking pedals well. It has this sort of fat clip to the distortion and when I run my EHX crayon into it the amp sings. No jagged/transistory distortion - it sounds 3d/creamy/punchy! As noted before it is too heavy. I'd love it if someone designed a preamp version of this amp ....
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ancientbones » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:06 pm

New cab day! Nice little Sunn 412L. Still has the original model 126 speakers in it.

Amp was built by the awesome Brig Alcorn out of a salvaged Peavey deuce chassis. Plexi with a jameson style tone stack.

I built the guitar myself. The Crustang v1.5. Waiting on a heavier Warmoth body to arrive to balance it out better.
ancientbones

committed
committed

Postby PeteeBee » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:28 pm

horseblanket wrote:I am a recent convert to the Matchless/Badcat family.

What’s the bad cat/matchless connection? I didn’t realize they had anything in common
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby imJonWain » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:27 pm

Love both, the amp build is really nice.

ancientbones wrote:Image

New cab day! Nice little Sunn 412L. Still has the original model 126 speakers in it.

Amp was built by the awesome Brig Alcorn out of a salvaged Peavey deuce chassis. Plexi with a jameson style tone stack.

I built the guitar myself. The Crustang v1.5. Waiting on a heavier Warmoth body to arrive to balance it out better.
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby horseblanket » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:58 pm

PeteeBee wrote:
horseblanket wrote:I am a recent convert to the Matchless/Badcat family.

What’s the bad cat/matchless connection? I didn’t realize they had anything in common

Badcat was started after a bunch of guys quit Matchless , including the amp designer.
With that I kind of think of Badcats as kind of the next evolution of the Matchless designs.
Last edited by horseblanket on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
horseblanket

committed
committed

Postby Cisco » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Looks like a blast. What flavor of Plexi?
Cisco

committed
committed

Postby ancientbones » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:48 pm

Cisco wrote:

Looks like a blast. What flavor of Plexi?

It's like an original circuit he designed. Possibly after the super lead?
ancientbones

committed
committed

Postby HAVN » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:14 pm

I realized I'd not posted a proper picture of my bass VI rig. Traynor YBA-1 into Ampeg B-15S. Speaker in the cab is original -- not thunderous or anything, but it gets the job done.
HAVN

committed
committed

Postby BoatRich » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:04 am

HAVN wrote:I realized I'd not posted a proper picture of my bass VI rig. Traynor YBA-1 into Ampeg B-15S. Speaker in the cab is original -- not thunderous or anything, but it gets the job done.

That Rick is so sick, I want one of those or a Dakota really badly.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear