Gasalcoholics anonymous? whoever said this was a help group?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Gasalcoholics anonymous? whoever said this was a help gr

Postby dubkitty » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:13 pm

just ordered an upgrade tremolo for the Squier Jazzmaster. it's a Fender American Pro Ultra unit described as "more or less an AVRI tremolo with a screw-in arm" and a tension spring down the collet to keep the arm from flopping around, an idea which i endorse whole-heartedly. i got the guitar out yesterday and everything else is reasonably acceptable (i need to grind the long ends off of the saddle length adjustment screws so i can lower the bridge), but that tremolo just isn't happening. i've adjusted it several times but can't get it to do what i want it to, and i can get something out of just about any tremolo. it's just inconsistent. i scoffed at the notion, but when you're wrong best to admit it and move forward. i'm going to do the trem and bridge stuff first; down the road a bit i'll change the 0.22 cap in the rhythm circuit to an 0.1 to make the circuit more useful. with the stock cap it's the same as turning your tone control to 0. i'll also get a Squier pickquard to replace the American Fender one which was retrofitted; it really doesn't fit correctly and there's some warpage due to incorrect screw placement, and it's also so beat to shit i find myself wondering if the previous owner used metal thumb and finger picks. i'm not taking the pickguard off until absolutely necessary, though. i look back on my adventures with Jazzmaster wiring in roughly the same way someone recalls a particularly traumatic night raid over Germany, and if i'm going back in there i'm only going to do it once. i'm not fucking Rambo. i would get the Johnny Marr Jaguar bridge which is a poor man's StayTrem, but i don't have another $120 to put into it at this time.

i've been thinking about finding a metal-working shop that could make a threaded Jazzmaster arm with a longer vertical segment (the part of the arm that actually inserts into the sleeve) to get the Kevin Shields masking-tape-to-raise-the-handle effect while keeping the arm securely attached. if it worked well and i had an entrepeneurial bone in my body i could make a business of it LOL.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Paul_C » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:36 pm

When I had my Japanese J Mascis sig. I just bent the arm very slightly (the bit that goes into the hole) so that friction held it in place, which worked well enough for my needs.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:45 pm

Japanese? were those the sparkly purple ones?

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Paul_C » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:50 pm

dubkitty wrote:Japanese? were those the sparkly purple ones?

That's the one.

Terrible pickups in it though, nothing like proper JM pickups, I swapped them for Lollars which were glorious.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JTurbide » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:14 pm

Got an unloaded 70s Hiwatt SE 4122 cab :joy:
Now the search for great speaker. Reeves Vintage Purple might fit the bill

JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:53 pm

oooo snazzy cab!

Out on my end: Mother 32 & doepfer eurorack case.

To fund future eurocrack purchases
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby dubkitty » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:06 pm

nice! i will have to look into those speakers...i've had a Fane bug up my butt for awhile now, and though the Eminence Thames gets high marks in reviews i'm skeptical because the construction is so different to original Fanes. i want to get a 2x12" cabinet i can use with everything.

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JTurbide » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:38 pm

I was looking for a 2x12 too but just sold a guitar and stumbled on the hiwatt... resistance was futile. I'm looking for something similar to the Fanes too. Reeves vintage purple seems nice. Weber ceramic thames might be cool too (not paying for 4 alnico soeakers @ ~$250 each)... Maybe hi-tone ir even tone tubby makes some ?

Edit: holy fucking shit. Just looked up at shipping cost for 4 webers from the website.... I guess the cab will be a cool decoration in my house. Wtf minimum of $500 to ship. That's more than the cost of the speakers themselves
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:19 am

I have a 2x12 with the new Fanes (I can't remember which, got them from Avatar), at first I thought they were harsh but they've broken in very nicely. Avatar sells them under their own name pre-broken in I think.
jirodreamsofdank

experienced
experienced

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:21 am

Just ordered a black Aluminati neck w/ composite fretboard for the world's lightest Peavey T-60 (that has a pretty hopeless neck but the pickups sound incredible).
jirodreamsofdank

experienced
experienced

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:57 am

You are all reminding me I need to install that old Fane I bought into my 1x12
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MaxMaps » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:55 am

So it dosen't look like I am going to be playing this week. With kids and 7 month old sleeping never I am in for a roller coaster :lol:

But I have plans :evil:

-Goroth should be sending me a bitquest soon :joy: that will get paid for soon as long as I behave (its only the 7th ....... :sad:)
-I really cant wait for a power supply, so I will be going for a DC7 from coast sonic after the 15th. Once I have everything locked down I can take my board and bass down stairs and play if I want too. The Darkglass Element makes this all possible and I am starting to like it more and more.
-More cables .... sigh
- I am still dragging my feet on getting something to record on - using a computer all day at work and then at night for fun is a little grating from time to time. The one thing I like about most pedals is that there is no fucking screen, just a knob and there you go. So I am going to try a TC Talkback when I can afford one.
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:42 pm

buy fuzz.png
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MaxMaps » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:29 pm

Bitquest has shipped, :joy: - I just need to wait until next Friday when I get paid. Then I can square that up and get the DC7 on order because I will have no more power and I really don't want to use batteries because they suck and I always forget to unplug my shit so I drain them.
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MaxMaps » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:30 pm

Bitquest has shipped, :joy: - I just need to wait until next Friday when I get paid. Then I can square that up and get the DC7 on order because I will have no more power and I really don't want to use batteries because they suck and I always forget to unplug my shit so I drain them.
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:

MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear