Gasalcoholics anonymous? whoever said this was a help group?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What is in the post? GAS makes me more creative right?

Postby lordgalvar » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:39 am

odontophobia wrote:
Mmmm. Juno 60. Seems like a killer setup.

'Twas it was.

NSFW: show
despite the Juno, we sounded nothing like the locust
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby odontophobia » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:57 pm

lordgalvar wrote:
odontophobia wrote:
Mmmm. Juno 60. Seems like a killer setup.

'Twas it was.

NSFW: show
despite the Juno, we sounded nothing like the locust

Only time I saw the locust they were using Moog. That was 14 years ago.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Weird...it was Juno I thought. At least on the first album. I don't remember what they were using when I saw them in 2007 (with daughters and cattle decap).

They used to play Bakersfield a lot (not as much as cattle decap did though). People would try to rattle us by claiming we were ripping them off because of the Juno. :idk: found an old thread on vse that said they switch alot and probably run modular now.

Probably being in proximity of SD got me over exposed to that scene too (swing kids, le shok, all that stuff was the hot ticket 20 years ago).
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dandolin » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:57 pm

The Locust :joy:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:03 pm

lordgalvar wrote:Maybe a preamp, power amp, PA style setup would be good. Sometime you can pick up some ok deals from failed wedding DJs and stuff.

My old bass player used an old, thrashed ampeg 4x10 and two PA cabs with 15s I think (tweeters too, but he may have disconnected them). He ran I think two crown power amps and had a bass preamp. He used it for his keys before. It was loud and reliable but reasonably priced...I think his rack bass preamp was the most expensive thing (and there are a ton more options now than 12 years ago).

I think he had a mixer for a harsh noise setup too. Which was kind of our fallback/no downtime thing or LG-lite.

He used this setup with a Juno 60 and sidstation after the Roland keyboard amp kept frying. Then he adapted it bass (his pedalboard was like big muff bubble Russian, vintage dmm, giga delay, space station, whammy iv, and some other dirt's).

If you don’t mind heavy shit, definitely do this. It’s the easiest way to get the frequency response you need for noise and such. I use two powered 15’s with a mixer and a rackmount limiter for my noise stuff.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby odontophobia » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:05 pm

lordgalvar wrote:Weird...it was Juno I thought. At least on the first album. I don't remember what they were using when I saw them in 2007 (with daughters and cattle decap).

They used to play Bakersfield a lot (not as much as cattle decap did though). People would try to rattle us by claiming we were ripping them off because of the Juno. :idk: found an old thread on vse that said they switch alot and probably run modular now.

Probably being in proximity of SD got me over exposed to that scene too (swing kids, le shok, all that stuff was the hot ticket 20 years ago).

yeah -- you and I definitely googled the same shit after that convo. saw the same shit. ready some interview from 07/08 or whatever where dude was talking about modular, too. had to look motm because I know shit about modular.

dope synth sounds regardless. back in those days I didn't realize how much is Justin, too. stupid pedals and of course the pll.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:34 pm

Haha, yeah, totally ran to Google as I was typing to make sure I wasn't crazy. It was like Juno 60 = locust for a long time. I don't think Voyager was out yet. First locust album is 20 years old...geez.

Pedals...that's what separated indie/hipster from punk in our scene at the time haha. Locust was hipster. Any pedal use disqualified you from punk...unless it was an eq and you were emo or something. Cavemen!
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby odontophobia » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:55 pm

lordgalvar wrote:Haha, yeah, totally ran to Google as I was typing to make sure I wasn't crazy. It was like Juno 60 = locust for a long time. I don't think Voyager was out yet. First locust album is 20 years old...geez.

Pedals...that's what separated indie/hipster from punk in our scene at the time haha. Locust was hipster. Any pedal use disqualified you from punk...unless it was an eq and you were emo or something. Cavemen!

By the time I saw the Locust I knew what Moogs were and what a Juno 60 was (thanks, The Red Light Sting) but honestly, I had just driven 6-hours form my hometown to Chicago to see Andrew WK and the Locust. Car did something freaky while in Gary, IN -- in and of itself a freaky thing to have happen. I could have totally missed the Juno 60. What I remember was Justin's acrylic bass, and lots of legs still bending at the waist moves.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby plaidbeer » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:22 pm

It's not sexy, but I just got a used GT-001 for $140. I want to play around with a bunch of the effects and the amp models as I'm mostly a headphones player.
plaidbeer

committed
committed

Postby lordgalvar » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:43 pm

odontophobia wrote:
By the time I saw the Locust I knew what Moogs were and what a Juno 60 was (thanks, The Red Light Sting) but honestly, I had just driven 6-hours form my hometown to Chicago to see Andrew WK and the Locust. Car did something freaky while in Gary, IN -- in and of itself a freaky thing to have happen. I could have totally missed the Juno 60. What I remember was Justin's acrylic bass, and lots of legs still bending at the waist moves.

Andrew WK threw my wife a shirt at his show. It was a twilight shirt with blood drawn under the characters noses... #teamandrewwk I think rocket from the crypt and the vandals played too. Maybe the darkness?
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:04 pm

I traded some euro stuff I wasn't using for a Keystep, Boss DE200, and Kord SD400. Pretty excited to get some weird rack gear. Especially since I always need more delay
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Warpsmasher » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:26 pm

The GT-001 is a great studio unit, gonna have to replace it at some point. Lots of LFO and triggering fun to be had there. I'll probably also get another Korg TR-rack at some point.
Went ahead and ordered the X1L3 Nihil because I am a weak little consumer boy, but fuck it it was super cheap, and clearly a buy it now or regret it later kinda thing. Got to grab that rare while it's there.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:41 pm

Yeah, that Nihil actually seems like a cool addition to any system....
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby plaidbeer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Warpsmasher wrote:The GT-001 is a great studio unit, gonna have to replace it at some point. Lots of LFO and triggering fun to be had there. I'll probably also get another Korg TR-rack at some point.

Why does it need to be replaced? I had previously thought about the small Helix or Headrush units, but I want to give the GT a go first, as I still would like to get a JC-40, too. I'll be using the GT with my guitars as well as my JD-990.
plaidbeer

committed
committed

Postby Paul_C » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:29 pm

Having drastically trimmed my set up from 34 pedals to 28, I'm going to increase it by one sometime this week with a Boss Slicer.

With the Bakvendt at the beginning set to freeze I can chop the resulting signal into bits and then sit and play with the pedals :)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear