New gear announcements for 2022

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: New gear announcements for 2022

Postby 01010111 » Thu May 12, 2022 9:18 pm

The price of the OP-1F makes me want to sell my OP-Z and buy an Elektron product.

edit: For a 54% price increase you get a software UI update, bluetooth, higher quality audio, improved user storage, improved fm radio functionality, USB C, no “undo”, no midi jacks, velcro, and the same six minute recording limit.
Last edited by 01010111 on Thu May 12, 2022 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Thu May 12, 2022 9:19 pm

:lol:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby manymanyhaha » Fri May 13, 2022 12:15 pm

01010111 wrote:The price of the OP-1F makes me want to sell my OP-Z and buy an Elektron product.

edit: For a 54% price increase you get a software UI update, bluetooth, higher quality audio, improved user storage, improved fm radio functionality, USB C, no “undo”, no midi jacks, velcro, and the same six minute recording limit.

And stereo (which is a big deal), increased battery life, smaller shell, INTERNAL radio, and it's more than a User Interface update: New synth, new reverb, new tapes, "swappable tapes for recording" (interested in knowing what this is).

But after sleeping on it, I have more than enough stuff to make the music I want. 2k is way too much for something that isn't going to be integral to what I do. But if I were on the road a lot again, I'd be getting one. My old op-1 was my travel companion and this looks like a lot of fun.

I would probably reconsider though if they increased the recording time, as you implied, so you could work on an album in total, bit by bit, instead having to offload for every 6 minutes or less worth of material. I don't get that, in 2022.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jero » Fri May 13, 2022 3:58 pm

OP-1 popped up locally. $799....Pretty sure it's the exact same one I missed a couple years ago.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Fri May 13, 2022 4:44 pm

The Silver Lining :snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Fri May 13, 2022 5:51 pm

Dandolin wrote:The Silver Lining :snax:

Sadly, when I missed it I actually had the money :lol:

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Fri May 13, 2022 7:12 pm

merhumblegrumble :hug:

quick, do a run of Mega-Haxan - they'll sell like hotcakes!
except those SSSs are $$$s
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Fri May 13, 2022 11:36 pm

manymanyhaha wrote:
01010111 wrote:The price of the OP-1F makes me want to sell my OP-Z and buy an Elektron product.

And stereo (which is a big deal), increased battery life, smaller shell, INTERNAL radio, and it's more than a User Interface update: New synth, new reverb, new tapes, "swappable tapes for recording" (interested in knowing what this is).

But after sleeping on it, I have more than enough stuff to make the music I want. 2k is way too much for something that isn't going to be integral to what I do. But if I were on the road a lot again, I'd be getting one. My old op-1 was my travel companion and this looks like a lot of fun.

I would probably reconsider though if they increased the recording time, as you implied, so you could work on an album in total, bit by bit, instead having to offload for every 6 minutes or less worth of material. I don't get that, in 2022.

The original had a radio, but the broadcasting ability is new. A new synth engine and sequencer could potentially be added to the original via a software update (as well as all the updated visuals). Stereo probably is more complicated because of processing power. But in order to make this worth it, they should have added features with a bigger impact to the end user (midi i/o jacks and quantizable recording would be good places to start). Also, why didn’t they color match the aluminum case to the plastic???

The swappable tapes are explained a bit in that Sonicstate video. They look like they just effect the quality of the recording (I might be wrong)? So, instead of just the standard recording, you have different options for how lofi it sounds.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Sat May 14, 2022 3:15 am

Dandolin wrote:merhumblegrumble :hug:

except those SSSs are $$$s

also stack with hotcakes :thumb:
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Bartimaeus » Sat May 14, 2022 11:45 am

01010111 wrote:Also, why didn’t they color match the aluminum case to the plastic???

probably chasing that iphone bezel look... and there are some folks who won't buy the pricier version if it looks too similar to the cheaper one :picard:
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby Jero » Sun May 15, 2022 11:52 pm

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Mon May 16, 2022 9:34 am

Did someone say "Baxan"?
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Dandolin » Mon May 16, 2022 3:38 pm

:erm: i think so? :idea:
i'm out da loop, merhumblegrumble
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Mon May 16, 2022 3:48 pm

goroth wrote:

Did someone say "Baxan"?

Working on a run of "Mini" Haxan :lol: New Haxan and mini Haxan pcbs in process...haven't quite come back to all that is BAXAN yet :animal: You have the only one.

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coupleonapkins » Mon May 16, 2022 3:57 pm

goroth wrote:

Did someone say "Baxan"?

I'd be in for a 1/1 special hybrid Ben & Kate Edition Nat FAXON :trippy:

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear