Muff with it's own personallity

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Muff with it's own personallity

Postby rickenbastard » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:01 pm

Just wanted to chime in about how awesome the Bloody Gett and Champion Leccy is in general. That thing goes from insane to insaner. Yet for all the volume it has it also doesn’t clip and get all muddy like some muffs tend to do especially on dirty amps. I demoed one and had to buy it immediately after
rickenbastard

committed
committed

Postby qersty » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:06 am

rickenbastard wrote:Just wanted to chime in about how awesome the Bloody Gett and Champion Leccy is in general. That thing goes from insane to insaner. Yet for all the volume it has it also doesn’t clip and get all muddy like some muffs tend to do especially on dirty amps. I demoed one and had to buy it immediately after

That sounds fucking awesome! My main complaint about the muffs I've used is that the clip way too early and get to loud. How much mids has thing got? Does it bump the mids like the grey stache or is it just less scooped?
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ALLisNOISE » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:12 pm

What about the Toneczar Off the Pipe, or OTP, Fuzz?
I can’t find any demos of it, except for these brief clips on Instagram,
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtuDWEMHkKo/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=7tszwhpbgdil
*dont know how to host the actual videos in here...* :idk:
But according to the ToneCzar Instagram, Excane got one, so I can’t wait to see what he does to it.
ALLisNOISE

committed
committed

Postby repoman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:35 pm

I think this might be vaguely related to some form of muff?
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby univalve » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:16 am

Syl, i still dig the dope priest. My favorite fuzz.
univalve

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Snufkino » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:03 pm

Phazzer wrote:There is one variant/clone that I didn't see mentioned within the thread: the Maxon D&S pedals. These are definitely Muff like with a more usable tone control- Same basic controls with a very similar circuit. Maxon made about 5 or 6 different variations of that pedal. Even Kit Rae acknowledges them as a Big Muff clone. I currently own a couple of them. I bought each for less than $100 on eBay within the last couple of years, so the vintage ones can still be found for cheap. They are the same exact pedal as the Ibanez OD-850 pedals. The first iteration is similar to a Ram's Head with better midrange response. The second one added an LED and isn't quite as good sounding as a result(they're one of the first pedals to have an LED indicator circa 76/77. The second version isn't as loud as the other versions before or after). My favorite variation is the mid 80's Maxon Jet Driver JD-01 which would be the 4th variation. It works great for metal tones as well as rock-awesome for fuzz bass duties. It even has a personality control instead of a tone control making it a Big Muff clone with personality:

JD-01.jpg

:thumb:

I want to go down the Maxon Muff rabbit hole now.
Snufkino

experienced
experienced

Postby Dowi » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:36 pm

Dowi wrote:Asked a friend to add a clean blend control on my IC muff (not really a clean blend, just added a clean volume), gonna test it this weekend, really curious to find out if I got what I wanted/needed, it is something I wanted to do from a long time.

So, after tonight's rehearsals I can say that it sounds really good. It adds a lot of dirt without cutting the attack and punch of the overdrive. Something I should definitely have done before.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jero » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:23 pm

Katanasound Thundercloud is a diff take on the muff. Not sure if it's been mentioned yet. Pretty cool.

The Malekko Plus Ultra 213 is another I like (hard to find now and not cheap). Has that sweep able all pass filter for funsies though.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby LaoWiz » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:46 pm

repoman wrote:

This one has intrigued me for awhile. Not a muff at all. There was discussion on the DAM forum and freestompboxes years ago and a schematic almost came to fruition but all talk ceased. Some dude was making clones that were for sale on reverb though as he owned 2 units but never see these for sale as they seem to be super rare. Would love to hear one in person / make one.....
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Snufkino » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:56 pm

Image of the circuit board on the effects database here: http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/jen/platesteel/fuzzsustain Doesn't look like a muff, even the op amp version. And I agree, it doesn't sound like a muff at all. Cool, big synthy fuzz tone, but there's probably easier to build circuits that get those kind of sounds.

Having said that, I am intrigued about finding out more... :snax:
Snufkino

experienced
experienced

Postby Jero » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:00 pm

LaoWiz wrote:
repoman wrote:

This one has intrigued me for awhile. Not a muff at all. There was discussion on the DAM forum and freestompboxes years ago and a schematic almost came to fruition but all talk ceased. Some dude was making clones that were for sale on reverb though as he owned 2 units but never see these for sale as they seem to be super rare. Would love to hear one in person / make one.....

Snufkino wrote:Image of the circuit board on the effects database here: http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/jen/platesteel/fuzzsustain Doesn't look like a muff, even the op amp version. And I agree, it doesn't sound like a muff at all. Cool, big synthy fuzz tone, but there's probably easier to build circuits that get those kind of sounds.
Having said that, I am intrigued about finding out more... :snax:

Sounds interesting for sure. Reminds me of something I can't quite place. Found this, which is of little help, when looking up the main IC. Turns out my eyesight is better than I thought!...http://www.superelectriceffects.com/new ... zz-sustain

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Snufkino » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:49 pm

Ah man, he beat me to it.

I think I'd be too lazy to build something with that many parts anyway.
Snufkino

experienced
experienced

Postby LaoWiz » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:15 pm

Yes it's super interesting. Going to look up those old threads as there was a picture that was a superimposition of the part side of the board and the trace side. No one ever cobbled up a schematic after that was posted. Maybe a good one for Dino / Dead End effects...
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jero » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:07 pm

LaoWiz wrote:Yes it's super interesting. Going to look up those old threads as there was a picture that was a superimposition of the part side of the board and the trace side. No one ever cobbled up a schematic after that was posted. Maybe a good one for Dino / Dead End effects...

Post it here if you find it. I may have a go at piecing it together.

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby LaoWiz » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:10 pm

Here's the DAM thread - check page 2 for the superimposition:
http://stompboxes.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9871&hilit=jen+fuzz+%26+Sustain

And here's the freestompboxes thread:
http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18552&p=201534&hilit=jen+fuzz+sustain#p201534

I've been helping out a guy with O-1 visa paperwork for the last day and a half so I've been taking a break and cutting out the parts and placing them on the trace side pic for myself in photoshop. Would be a cool one to figure out!
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear