Setup of the day thread?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Setup of the day thread?

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:41 am

Eh it's not the hardest, but it has 3 opamps one of which is a charge pump so you can run it 18V, just buy a pcb kit. I would buy a pcb if I need a second. All the parts need to be rated for 18V+ and then the clipping diodes really are the magic. Mine sounded amaze with the OC71s I got from Jero, and almost as a good with some D9Es, it got glitchy with 1N914s .. which is cool, but I have tons of glitch so I abandoned that. Get some sockets and socket the diodes for sure, I'm sure some of us with stashes would send some Russian love for you to test. Test it over like a week so you can hear the nuances, boom.

It also has a dual gang pot for gain which can be complex for beginners (no idea what your building level is, no offense)
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:08 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:Eh it's not the hardest, but it has 3 opamps one of which is a charge pump so you can run it 18V, just buy a pcb kit. I would buy a pcb if I need a second. All the parts need to be rated for 18V+ and then the clipping diodes really are the magic. Mine sounded amaze with the OC71s I got from Jero, and almost as a good with some D9Es, it got glitchy with 1N914s .. which is cool, but I have tons of glitch so I abandoned that. Get some sockets and socket the diodes for sure, I'm sure some of us with stashes would send some Russian love for you to test. Test it over like a week so you can hear the nuances, boom.

It also has a dual gang pot for gain which can be complex for beginners (no idea what your building level is, no offense)

Competent enough to do some basic amp repairs, and I’ve built like boosts and modded some Boss Pedals, but not great by any means. I really just want something to boost my Marshall a bit without being as thin as a TS.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby systemofameow » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:51 pm

oldangelmidnight wrote:If you can dig up a Pladask Taken, or even a Copilot Kinkilin, you can get those smearey delays with some alinear undulation. I've also had a Shallow Water and I concur with the above.

I've been watching some videos of the Taken lately and it seems super rad so thanks for the vote of confidence on that one. The modulation on it sounds really nice and the repeats have somewhat of a soft quality to them while still seeming very present. The option of having an effects loop is also quite tantalizing, I've never messed around with one of those before... I added it to my reverb feed so maybe one will pop up for a decent price! I don't think I'd use half the sounds on that Kinkilin tho, there's a lot of zany stuff going on there. lol

ummohyeah wrote:this is really awesome. i sold my disaster sr and replaced it with an re-20 so i never got to try them together. i still miss the disaster trans sr, i think it's voiced really well, especially the side with reverb. i miss it a lot.

Thanks! Originally I picked up the Disaster Transport hoping to do Space Echo sorta stuff with it but it really kinda has its own thing going on. Like they both operate within the same sonic realm but approach doing that in different ways. I haven't messed around with it TOOOOO much but now that I have the RE-20 I'm gonna experiment with sending different settings on the Disaster Transport through it. Although if I snag a Taken it might replace the Disaster Transport if it ends up working out for me. WHO KNOWS, maybe I'll just end up like some avant-garde noise musician with ten delays on my board. :lol:
systemofameow

committed
committed

Postby doommeow » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:41 am

0CBC4A32-5966-432B-95EA-CC2E2D4D96A0.jpeg

First orgy with the M32, DFAM, and 0-coast. The smell of naplam on a Sunday afternoon.

M32 belting out a low drone, opening and closing nice and slow; the DFAM, man I don’t even know, tempo synced to the LFO on the 32, helicopters crashing into a racecar; and the 0-coast kicking out glitchy sharp edged subharmonic counterpoint. Mixer overloads and clips just right.

Have no idea what I’m doing, but having fun doing it.

Definitely see my self getting a Neutron in the future, if only to plug shit into the delay circuit and see what the what. But knowing me ES-8 will probably happen sooner or later. Even though I’m a complete dilettante, I know enough about what am doing to feel like I have more control in VCV - so combining some of the harsh evil I’m getting in software with the ability to have more hands on slightly more comfortable control over sequencing beats on the DFAM and drony doomy WTF on the other two seems like the thing.

Need proper monitors. All the big amps and cabs are in the basement. Synths are upstairs w/ the SF champ :picard:
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby comesect2.0 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:42 am

20180921_233449.jpg
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:14 pm

2018-09-25 11.56.26.jpg
2018-09-25 11.56.26.jpg (399.11 KiB) Viewed 4018 times

started picking up my guitar again after like 5 years or so
nice to have an amp and a lil setup again
having a lot of fun w/ this and loving the sounds
i modded the MXR and Boss OS2 so they don't sound doodoo anymore :animal:
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:40 pm

Woooooo! Cool board. :thumb:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby friendship » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:42 pm

that looks fun as hell
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:13 am

This was my setup of yesterday... for a live dance performance of 20 minutes. Very first time in my life I did a gig without guitars! :animal:
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby friendship » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:37 am

Looks awesome! Did you get a chance to record it?
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:06 pm

gila_crisis wrote:This was my setup of yesterday... for a live dance performance of 20 minutes. Very first time in my life I did a gig without guitars! :animal:

This looks interesting! Would also like to hear it if you recorded anything. :)
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby doommeow » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:06 pm

EpiOly > RM-1n > Rubberneck > Champ.

IMG_0165 (1).jpg

Not love at first stomp with the Rubberneck - maybe because it wasn't the bate model? But then again, when it comes to delay, I'm usually all about reverse. Definitely need to consider some of those button topper things for doing quick transitions on the rubberneck stomp - for whatever reason it's bothering me in a way that riding the stomp on my RM or Echo Degrader just don't. Lower modulation settings are nice for some extra texture, too much is too much. Unappealing. Treble transient stuff going on that doesn't work for me, at least not clean - haven't done rubber > dirt yet. Gain and Tone knobs should open up some interesting textures, but I haven't been able to easily dial in what I think should be possible.

Need to go back a RTFM or rewatchtheknobsdemo.

Best bit requires both feet - crunching the rubber stomp to stretch your time base in or out of time with launching new drones from the momentary on the RM.
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ummohyeah » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:18 pm

gila_crisis wrote:This was my setup of yesterday... for a live dance performance of 20 minutes. Very first time in my life I did a gig without guitars! :animal:

that's really cool.
ummohyeah

committed
committed

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:37 pm

HEQ1 -> Magic Meter -> Bakvendt -> Abductor II -> Workshop 3 -> Rainbow machine -> MF Flange -> Amp

Pretty fun set up.. the HEQ1 is pretty fun for creating crusty drive and broken speaker buzzing which the rest of the devices really love to obliterate into sonic stew. And yes I know I have 2 active EQs in a row .. I just thought I'd try it, and I liked it. :idk:

My Universe is considerably darker than the 8 string, so actively boosting trebs can be interesting.

So far my favorite sound is using high up the neck chimey chords with the octave down setting on Bakvendt and the grain down for kind of strange pad like synth, that the Abductor then redelays with 2 heads on and some modulation. The workshop I set for a single repeat at like 300ms and it has a unique modulation that can almost turn repeats into bit crushed noise if the input is strong enough .. and then Rainbow does what it does best.. and the flange .. well flange is strange. I set it real deep and slow..

I even had a little noise jam with the input jack and thumb with how crazy it all gets. What a blast
Attachments
20181014_163148_crop_668x387.jpg
20181014_163148_crop_668x387.jpg (231.22 KiB) Viewed 3695 times
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby odontophobia » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:29 pm

this is my current setup, minus tuner and volume pedal, running into an orange rockerverb 50 and orange ppc 412.

short analog delay into long-ish digital delay. digging it. still uncovering lots about the rubberneck.

odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear