Can we talk about modular synths?



Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby Dandolin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Niiiiice
Dandolin

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3904
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: On the pharm in PA

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby brndnwilliams » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:12 pm

kbit wrote:
oscillateur wrote:I guess I'm slowly turning into a Monome/Mannequins person (Teletype is really, really good and Just Friends is even more enjoyable than I thought)...


Right there with you... How have you been using Teletype? I always thought "I never wanna learn all this code and type into my synth!" But then I started reading the TT studies and learned about the Euclidean operator and learned more about all the ways it interconnects to JF / Ansible... Doomed :lol: at least it's killing my gas for other stuff...

Also I took a bunch of modules out of my case and have been rocking a 4u set up with 2 Just Friends, 2 Three Sisters, DLD, Ansible and some utilities... Loving the limitations, keeps me focused on learning Ansible / experimentation.

Same here! I got two w/'s yesterday and they're fun as heck. I thought i'd forget the button combos immediately but somehow haven't. Also been thinking of selling the verbos harm osc for a second JF so I have one in each mode but haven't committed yet. I really want two of all of the mannequins modules but still dont have even one cold mac. I got teletype a couple weeks back and fell in love too. thinking I'll have a case focused on dual mannequins everything, teletype and the 301 (obv utilities too) and then a second case with my morphagene, clouds and some other goodies and treat them as separate instruments.

I havent even looked at ansible. what does it add for you? it's not just a TT expander or an interface for grid/arc?
brndnwilliams

committed
committed
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:02 am

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby behndy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:54 pm

hnnnnnghghthtthhhhh why does that Arc SPEAK to me so. damn. HARD.

WANT.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK


music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
https://bloodpartyband.bandcamp.com/alb ... e-computer

Imageokay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 18580
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Cali. East Bay Yo.

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby brndnwilliams » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:22 pm

behndy wrote:hnnnnnghghthtthhhhh why does that Arc SPEAK to me so. damn. HARD.

WANT.

that's what im sayyyinnnn! 2019 though. grid is back as of today and idk if I should try or not. I got a digitone just for sequencing (got yarns from worra) but I ended up enjoying composing on it too... but grid looks more interesting and fun for euro sequencing than digi :idk:
brndnwilliams

committed
committed
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:02 am

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby behndy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:40 pm

lol. well. that IS the quickest way to get me to order something. telling me it's limited. WANT INCREASING.

get a Deluge! best of both worlds! all the griddy layout of the Grids with cv and gates AND MIDI out, a sampler and synth engine.

loooooveeeeee miiiiineeeeees.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK


music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
https://bloodpartyband.bandcamp.com/alb ... e-computer

Imageokay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 18580
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Cali. East Bay Yo.

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby kbit » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:27 pm

To those having trouble with audio bootloaders: one thing I've found helpful when updating my firmware is pressing play and then pause very quickly on your music player directly before getting your module ready to accept the firmware audio. Like a split second into the audio file. I think a lot of laptops/phones have some sort of automute function on the audio output that disengages when you start to play audio files, and this slight spike in the output can make the module think it's supposed to be receiving the firmware. Instead it "fails" before the audio even starts. I figured this out with my DLD and it was the only thing that let me upload my firmware. YMMV :idk:

brndnwilliams wrote:I havent even looked at ansible. what does it add for you? it's not just a TT expander or an interface for grid/arc?


I have a grid and have been using that + Ansible for all sequencing duties. Both Kria and Meadowphysiics offer a lot of flexibility/fun on their own but you can access more via i2c with Teletype, like reset and clocking commands for individual tracks in Kria. Just Type is also very interesting to me since I have 2 Just Friends.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 11482
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:16 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby behndy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:45 am

super rough, only got to mess around about 10 minutes before recording, but i reallllly like from about 8.30 on -

Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK


music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
https://bloodpartyband.bandcamp.com/alb ... e-computer

Imageokay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 18580
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Cali. East Bay Yo.

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby Dandolin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:01 am

kbit wrote:To those having trouble with audio bootloaders: one thing I've found helpful when updating my firmware is pressing play and then pause very quickly on your music player directly before getting your module ready to accept the firmware audio. Like a split second into the audio file. I think a lot of laptops/phones have some sort of automute function on the audio output that disengages when you start to play audio files, and this slight spike in the output can make the module think it's supposed to be receiving the firmware. Instead it "fails" before the audio even starts. I figured this out with my DLD and it was the only thing that let me upload my firmware. YMMV :idk:


Image

Filed away. :zen:. Thanks :hug:
Dandolin

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3904
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: On the pharm in PA

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby worra » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:23 am

kbit wrote:To those having trouble with audio bootloaders: one thing I've found helpful when updating my firmware is pressing play and then pause very quickly on your music player directly before getting your module ready to accept the firmware audio. Like a split second into the audio file. I think a lot of laptops/phones have some sort of automute function on the audio output that disengages when you start to play audio files, and this slight spike in the output can make the module think it's supposed to be receiving the firmware. Instead it "fails" before the audio even starts. I figured this out with my DLD and it was the only thing that let me upload my firmware. YMMV :idk:

brndnwilliams wrote:I havent even looked at ansible. what does it add for you? it's not just a TT expander or an interface for grid/arc?


I have a grid and have been using that + Ansible for all sequencing duties. Both Kria and Meadowphysiics offer a lot of flexibility/fun on their own but you can access more via i2c with Teletype, like reset and clocking commands for individual tracks in Kria. Just Type is also very interesting to me since I have 2 Just Friends.



Good tip kbit, I'll remember that.

Now I've made a nice 34hp hole in my case while I wait for the mailman today. Rene 2 has me incredibly hype. I haven't managed to sell my v1 so I might grab my empty skiff and rack it up so I can play with stuff like driving v2 with v1 and etc.
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/
YouTube demos and such

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:22 pm
Location: ATX

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby Muse FTW » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:38 am

I'm pretty happy with my new setup. I really dig Rene v2. I think it's an answer to the sequencer problems I've been having and although it's limited to 16 steps, I feel like it's fairly intuitive in a way that will allow for both composition and improvisation with the state saving (although I am still behind the curve on that aspect - it's still a little confusing to understand how that whole thing works with Tempi. Kinda want to reintroduce Pam's to my rack, too.

It sounds so silly to say, but I feel like I've run out of space with my case again. I'd love to have a true output module to mix everything to a stereo output (I have stereo outs thanks to the case and the 1U module, but nothing to mix everything to stereo itself). My current solution is to shove everything through the Quad VCA and just use 2 of the 4 available outs for that, which isn't ideal because it loses whatever stereo imagine has been applied by Clouds/Magneto/Rings. Definitely don't have room for something as elaborate as the WMD mixer, but hopefully I can find something with ample ins. Praga didn't do it for me much even though it had more than enough send/return features to make it worth using during the time I had it.

I think in terms of usage, I'm using my Mutable and Make Noise stuff the most. Noise Engineering's oscillators always get playtime and I'm starting to think about taking out things like Plonk and Dixie, which don't see much use, in favor of some new NE goodness. Only problem with that is then I'll definitely run out of VCA's and will have absolutely no room for them in the case.

Are there any interesting/fun VCA's/Mixers out there y'all can recommend?
Muse FTW

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby oscillateur » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:24 am

It's not a VCA, just a mixer, but the Manhattan Analog CP3 (now called DTM I think) is a wonderful way to use 4HP. 3 channels transistor mixer, basically the old Moog circuit, that overdrives super nicely past 2pm or so. Also goes into ducking territory when feeding it several strong signals (or one audio and one CV at the same time).

I really like mine, and you can always have a VCA before it to drive it dynamically if desired.
oscillateur

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1994
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:16 am
Location: Tokyo

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby worra » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:14 pm

brndnwilliams wrote:
kbit wrote:
oscillateur wrote:I guess I'm slowly turning into a Monome/Mannequins person (Teletype is really, really good and Just Friends is even more enjoyable than I thought)...


Right there with you... How have you been using Teletype? I always thought "I never wanna learn all this code and type into my synth!" But then I started reading the TT studies and learned about the Euclidean operator and learned more about all the ways it interconnects to JF / Ansible... Doomed :lol: at least it's killing my gas for other stuff...

Also I took a bunch of modules out of my case and have been rocking a 4u set up with 2 Just Friends, 2 Three Sisters, DLD, Ansible and some utilities... Loving the limitations, keeps me focused on learning Ansible / experimentation.

Same here! I got two w/'s yesterday and they're fun as heck. I thought i'd forget the button combos immediately but somehow haven't. Also been thinking of selling the verbos harm osc for a second JF so I have one in each mode but haven't committed yet. I really want two of all of the mannequins modules but still dont have even one cold mac. I got teletype a couple weeks back and fell in love too. thinking I'll have a case focused on dual mannequins everything, teletype and the 301 (obv utilities too) and then a second case with my morphagene, clouds and some other goodies and treat them as separate instruments.

I havent even looked at ansible. what does it add for you? it's not just a TT expander or an interface for grid/arc?


Control Voltage is taking Cold Mac preorders: http://controlvoltage.net/mannequins-co ... er/dp/3615
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/
YouTube demos and such

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:22 pm
Location: ATX

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby mr. sound boy king » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:28 pm

My Butterfly Benjolin is on the way from Helsinki.

Anyone here interested in a eurorack Benjolin? I'll do a deal.
mr. sound boy king

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:20 pm

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby MrNovember » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:29 pm

Muse FTW wrote:Are there any interesting/fun VCA's/Mixers out there y'all can recommend?

I really like my Xaoc Tallin. It has some awesome drive options and some interesting CV options.

The new Koma VCA looks amazing. I love the look of their modules and everything I've owned from them has been super good quality.
MrNovember

User avatar
Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF
 
Posts: 3535
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:24 pm
Location: GTA

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby mr. sound boy king » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:09 pm

behndy wrote:lol. well. that IS the quickest way to get me to order something. telling me it's limited. WANT INCREASING.

get a Deluge! best of both worlds! all the griddy layout of the Grids with cv and gates AND MIDI out, a sampler and synth engine.

loooooveeeeee miiiiineeeeees.


Or save some loot and get an old Tenori-On. I've been sequencing a Volca FM with mine and it rules. No CV / gates, though, just MIDI.
mr. sound boy king

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:20 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ALLisNOISE, Google [Bot] and 9 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.