Radio FX

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Radio FX

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:40 am

Warpsmasher wrote:
D.o.S. wrote:This thread rules.

I'm assuming the Radio Music doesn't "actually" qualify, but it's a kick ass module and I love it and it deserves more love.
I think anything that does sample degradation easily counts, since it lo-fis the sounds and makes them sound like theyre coming from a distorted little radio speaker (I think that's where the name comes from maybe?) so, there's also the ISD sampler, and that new pedalbox version collab thing, and also the module from Recovery FX with the greeting card chip.

I think we are talking about two different things, but I am very curious as to what you are talking about :)

The RM is this thing:
https://youtu.be/ZLKCX38pmQs
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby K2000 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:02 am

I use an AM radio, and my thumb on the tuning wheel.

:animal:
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby K2000 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:13 am

Really great track by Richard H. Kirk (Cabaret Voltaire) which got me interested in playing noise type music. Not sure what the edit is (I'm listening to the Youtube version for the first time) but it's originally 38 minutes, not 30.

K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Warpsmasher » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:37 am

D.o.S. wrote:I think we are talking about two different things, but I am very curious as to what you are talking about :)

The RM is this thing:
https://youtu.be/ZLKCX38pmQs
I've been interested in it for a long time but never did all the homework. I just saw this, I think it reveals the genius of it pretty straightforwardly - https://github.com/TomWhitwell/RadioMus ... sic-module :joy:
I've heard some of the radio sample packs for it, they definitely have a nice authentic radio sound. It seems like one of the smartest implementations of the start point selection trick too, since the audio files can be so long. It's a much more important part of the whole module/concept, and not just another feature, like in a Tiptop One or Pico Drums. I guess the module itself doesn't do the audio degradation thing though? I had assumed it was 12 bit or 8 bit sample playback, but it's 16 so I think I need one now. I guess if you're using audio from podcasts and audiobooks and such, that can sound pretty degraded regardless of recording quality, but the great thing about 16 bit is that it can be made to sound however you want exactly.
I also want at least one Music Thing Graphic EQ, looks like a really simple first build.
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/mtm-graphic-eq-kit/
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Confuzzled » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:47 am

gila_crisis wrote:did you ever heard about this very mini synth?

I love this little radio synth but I'd have to make an enclosure for it or my kid will break it on me unintentionally.
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Postby moid » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:41 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:
moid wrote:If you don't mind me adding my own track here, my son and I made the below creation, a musical memory of a distant childhood; time spent turning the dial of a shortwave radio at night, picking up the distant European radio stations that faded in and out of the crackling ether... they are all gone now, but this lullaby is a celebration of their ghostly sounds.

https://mushroomsinshampoo.bandcamp.com/track/shortwave-lullaby

That said, I've always wanted a pedal that would slowly sweep through shortwave radio bands and fade in and out my guitar on top :)

It's like a grainy and low-fi madness (in a good way) Stars of the Lid track :love: thought it was great!

Thanks very much :) I love Stars of the Lid, so that's a lovely compliment!
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby frodog » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:47 pm

If you just want to filter your signal to sound like it's coming from a small radio, get someone to build/DIY a Comet Filter. It's a simple circuit with two notch filters that sounds awesome after fuzz for lo-fi gazey tones.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Glitches&switches » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:59 pm

moid wrote:If you don't mind me adding my own track here, my son and I made the below creation, a musical memory of a distant childhood; time spent turning the dial of a shortwave radio at night, picking up the distant European radio stations that faded in and out of the crackling ether... they are all gone now, but this lullaby is a celebration of their ghostly sounds.

https://mushroomsinshampoo.bandcamp.com/track/shortwave-lullaby

That said, I've always wanted a pedal that would slowly sweep through shortwave radio bands and fade in and out my guitar on top :)

Great track! I used to show up at local punk shows with a shortwave radio, a moog, a guitar and a looper pedal. I would write songs on the fly based off whatever I found on the radio, no song was ever duplicated. I was referred to as "radioman", lately I have talked to a couple pedal builders about my idea for a shortwave radio with some modulation options. Instead of it randomly sweeping through stations, an expression pedal could control the turning of the radio dial, so you could both sweep through stations but also find one and leave it. Having some different types of modulation on it could be really cool and fun!
Glitches&switches

committed
committed

Postby Glitches&switches » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:01 pm

Heraclitus Akimbo wrote:
gila_crisis wrote:did you ever heard about this very mini synth?

This sounds very, very cool.

Available here, apparently, for anyone digging around.

This could work into my pedal idea perhaps! Definitely cool!
Glitches&switches

committed
committed

Postby Confuzzled » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:42 pm

I recently made my first audio cassette tape loop for shits & giggles. Have an old walkman with a radio built into it. when I played the loop I was amazed at all of the residual noise the unit was picking up. Old technology picking up new technology reception?

I brought the playing tape loop over to my modem & router and it made an odd tremolo like sound. Then brought it over by my microwave which was on and it started howls this crazy ass synth like tone (I need to record this shit).
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Postby Ugly Nora » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:08 pm

Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Glitches&switches » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:13 pm

Ugly Nora wrote:https://somasynths.com/ether/

Tbat's very interesting. I wonder if it harms electronic devices near it or if they just interfere with it working properly? Definitely some cool possibilities!
Glitches&switches

committed
committed

Postby repoman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:21 pm

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

Online shortwave interface
Listen to your favorite number stations, radio stations in far away lands, military emergency action messages, etc

SkyKing is 8992, supposedly this is the frequency the Air Force uses to relay if we are in WW3 or not, during times of heightened geopolitical turmoil, you can hear coded messages with the phrase "sky king do not respond"

Here is where UVB76 comes from
:idk:

I've been listening to it for the past 20 minutes, it's kind of relaxing.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:01 pm

I've always had a lot of fun using radios in my music. I currently only have a Field Kit, but I regularly load Conet Project tracks into my Radio Music or Nebulae. I used to have an RF Nomad that was great. Kind of wish I still had that module. Also, I had to order one of those Soma Ethers; they look amazingly fun!

repoman wrote:http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/
I've been listening to it for the past 20 minutes, it's kind of relaxing.

I've also recorded a few samples from this site. It's surprisingly easy to lose a few hours just messing around in there.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Ugly Nora » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:19 am

I, for one, would be very interested in hearing how you use the Soma Ether. Please report back with your findings.
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear