phase+flange in one compact pedal?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

phase+flange in one compact pedal?

Postby frigid midget » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:37 am

Is there something out there doesn't compromise on either -or even both- effects, but gives you a lushious flanger that holds its own, as well as a long deep swooshy phaser that can compeet with the best standalone phasers on the market?

The plan is to use my bitquest for all the weird exotic stuff that I can't really justify a seperate dedicated pedal for, and to limit the rest of my modulation to this phase/flange combo. I'm short on monies and board space...:/

Edit: Btw, eqd pyramids would be an obvious contender, if my budget and board were a bit bigger.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: phase+flange in one compact pedal?

Postby echorec » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:27 am

You'd likely have to look at something like a MS-70CDR from Zoom, but you'd need to do so some light menu-diving to enable phasing & flanging at once. (this will get classic modulation engines & if you stack more than 2 or dime everything out, you could get into weird territory easily) If you had more board space, you could definitely get independent phasers/flangers on the cheap (below $80 each).

There are several other pedals that do both, but not simultaneously in a compact/inexpensive package. The Meris Polymoon can do phasing & flanging together, but it's $300. One of my favorite flangers is the Strymon Orbit (but that won't give you phasing and runs about $200 used).

Southampton Utility Knife, Keeley Bubbletron, various Chinese brands like Nux, and the Source Audio Orbital all do phasing & flanging, but not together.

The Matthews Chemist does phase/chorus/octave. The Starlight MKII can mimic a phaser fairly convincingly on certain settings.

There's a synth desktop unit that does phasing, flanging, delay together, but it's a tabletop unit north of $350.

Eventually someone will do an FV-1 combo box with dual phaser & flange engines that can be sync'd. Good luck in the meantime.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby alexsga » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:40 pm

i also like Keeley Bubbletron
alexsga

experienced
experienced

Postby Bartimaeus » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:20 am

The Keeley is probably your best bet. Unlike flanger and chorus, which are done with very similar circuitry, phasing requires a pretty unique circuit. So a real analog phaser+flanger would be the size of a phaser pedal and a flanger pedal stuck together. Digital stuff like the Keeley (FV1-based) is really your only compact option.
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby frigid midget » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:58 am

Bartimaeus wrote:The Keeley is probably your best bet. Unlike flanger and chorus, which are done with very similar circuitry, phasing requires a pretty unique circuit. So a real analog phaser+flanger would be the size of a phaser pedal and a flanger pedal stuck together. Digital stuff like the Keeley (FV1-based) is really your only compact option.

Didn't really know that, it explains why there's so few good options out there :/

So new plan...I'll stick to using my buddy's BF-2, and I'll get me some sort of univibe pedal as a final modulation flavour. Thanks. Univibe + BF-2 + Bitquest...Should be able to cover enough ground for my humble modulation needs.
Been looking at the old DanElectro vibe. Not the best out there, but it's supposedly a great bang for the buck, and it's not like I'm after a pristine stereo leslie simulation or anything anyway, so...:idk:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to General Gear