The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri May 25, 2018 11:20 pm

Interesting. I need to do more research apparently on limiters.

I was running the HEQ1 up front with a couple of delays and the rainbow machine and getting gnarly volume boost on the low E and B.. I ran my CS-2 up front and it seemed to help a little but I tried to run it with the attack like halfway up and then messed with the sustain to try and quell the vol boost..

Once again I'm open to any ideas :joy:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri May 25, 2018 11:31 pm

Update: I have been fucking with it for a while and this chain is working good. The HEQ1 and the CS-2 into the suneater .. super cream. It's dope AF.. I'm playing conservatively with the CS-2 and it's paying off. Let the HEQ1 boost sustain. Loving it
Attachments
20180525_202758_crop_459x691.jpg
20180525_202758_crop_459x691.jpg (305.43 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri May 25, 2018 11:32 pm

The Eristic wrote:I fucking have to get one of this builder's guitars somehow, I swear it's like we have a telepathic link. https://www.instagram.com/saitoguitars/

I used to want one of their baby lap steels:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXjyWjdgsl1 ... itoguitars

:idk: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Psyre » Fri May 25, 2018 11:49 pm

Inconuucl wrote:
BetterOffShred wrote:Anybody have any experience with limiters? I am experiencing some strong volume variance from string to string with certain effects chains on my 8 string and I think maybe a limiter might be just what I'm after .. I tried a little compression but that didn't seem to be the cure. Any opinions welcome :)

There are no difference between a compressor and a limiter other than setting. :idk: That said the effect you want sounds like a compressor's job. Which did you have and how were you setting it?

I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. Compression adjusts the envelope surrounding the initial attack and draws the upper and lower most frequencies into the center spectrum. Limiters in comparison do not adjust the frequencies, they just decapitate the both ends of the spectrum, for lack of a better term.

Certainly some units are more or less capable of both, but not all limiters can exactly compress and vice versa, whereas some units (even budget like 3630) have a limiter setting.
That being said I may be being a bit dense or daft.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri May 25, 2018 11:59 pm

Yeah man I've been looking at some classic circuits and I think limiters deserve their own category. Could be wrong. That s why I'm here :)

The above chain is actually CS-2-->HEQ1-->Suneater etc delays. It's mad good.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat May 26, 2018 12:29 am

The above circuit dialed here and there has rectified my string to string volume issues. I think it was a product of the HeQ1 and the CS-2 that needed to be dialed. So I got that straight and it's sustain for days through the suneater, but it sounds best with the suneater volume cranked. All settings glorious.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Inconuucl » Sat May 26, 2018 12:29 am

Psyre wrote:
Inconuucl wrote:
BetterOffShred wrote:Anybody have any experience with limiters? I am experiencing some strong volume variance from string to string with certain effects chains on my 8 string and I think maybe a limiter might be just what I'm after .. I tried a little compression but that didn't seem to be the cure. Any opinions welcome :)

There are no difference between a compressor and a limiter other than setting. :idk: That said the effect you want sounds like a compressor's job. Which did you have and how were you setting it?

I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. Compression adjusts the envelope surrounding the initial attack and draws the upper and lower most frequencies into the center spectrum. Limiters in comparison do not adjust the frequencies, they just decapitate the both ends of the spectrum, for lack of a better term.

Certainly some units are more or less capable of both, but not all limiters can exactly compress and vice versa, whereas some units (even budget like 3630) have a limiter setting.
That being said I may be being a bit dense or daft.

I mean, that's why I said setting. All Limiters are compressors with an extremely high compression ratio and an extremely fast attack time. Some compressor pedals don't reach those ratios/speeds for easy of use/price. Generally when you want to use a limiter is when there is an absolute limit (lol) to the volume you want to reach at any point, and so you set up a compressor that will automatically snap once it does so, therefore a really high attack and a ratio of 1:20 or above. You obviously don't want a limiter to be triggering often, else you need to look elsewhere.

Now, pedantics aside, limiters absolutely deserve getting their own categories in the same vein overdrives/distortions/fuzzes do. The feature sets you want when limiting are different than for compressing. But that's more of a surrounding features sort of deal than actual mechanics.

The trick to setting a compressor is knowing what exactly is happening when you change a control, as it's less noticeable than with other effects. For your case, BetterOffShred, I would do a light compression with a fast attack, keeping playing between your lower notes and higher while adjusting the sustain until they sound about even. I would also say to keep your release a bit higher, but I'm 99% the CS-2 doesn't have a release knob.

If you still want a limiter I would recommend getting the MXR Studio/Bass Compressor (same circuit), it'll also do limiting and has a really handy read out of when your signal is getting compressed.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat May 26, 2018 12:35 am

Dood good points all around there. For real. I have a couple compressors but I always find myself drawn to the CS-2.. it sounds sick.

I ended up dialing the sustain knob about halfway through the compression side of the spectrum and from there the attack sounds good almost anywhere.

That being said I had to tweak the HEQ1 to boost what I needed from the baxandall.. it's been a good night. I appreciate all the though and commentary fellas. I really do
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Sat May 26, 2018 9:20 am

It's not very "vintage" but if you have problem frequencies or ranges, too loud or too soft, a multiband compressor might be more help then the Dyna Comp derivatives that make up 95% of guitar pedal compressors. TC has one in pedal form, and I'm sure others do, too.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:25 pm

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... sizer.html
some diy synth project I stumbled across.. :snax:
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Sun May 27, 2018 4:23 pm

I dropped a metal slide down the back of my modest stack of combo amps. Pulled them out to retrieve the slide, it's fukcin gone, vanished, apparated. I was about to give up assuming a wormhole swallowed it, then I spotted it had magnetically stuck to the magnet on a cannabis rex speaker.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby comesect2.0 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:12 pm

NSFW: show
hmm.png
i want to use a piezo as a "jumper" ..for the wires on this cheap pickup are gonna be a bit short... maybe should do a test before soldering.... :idk:

good idea? bad idea?
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon May 28, 2018 12:31 am

I dont know how feeding AC to a piezo would sound/work. Might as well try it. Should be dece
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:41 pm

Fuck big corps but yummy.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby comesect2.0 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:14 pm

I know most of you know how to make an electric guitar, but just in case you want to try something different,
https://www.facebook.com/UNILADTech/vid ... 198547356/
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear