Neil Young Sound

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Neil Young Sound

Postby Muff_Diver » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:55 am

Want that "tweed deluxe about to blow up" sound.

Currently considering:
Hudson Broadcast
Durham Crazy Horse
5e3 Clone
Mountainking Ruckus

I know Neil's famed 5e3 runs 6l6s and supposedly sounds nothing like any other 5e3, leading me away from the 5e3 clone. Broadcast seems like a great drive that can also do the gross sound. Crazy Horse seems very appropriate, especially with the voltage starve, but tbh its ugly and Idk what other sounds it can do. Im a little worried the ruckus will be too much craziness.

Anyone else achieve the Neil sound with one of the above? How do you like it for non-neil things?
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Re: Neil Young Sound

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:25 am

:idk:

Coincidentally(???), I just watched this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWTqj5lvkFs

:love: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby friendship » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:58 am

I've had the Crazy Horse for a few years and not only does it do a great Neil impression, there are a lot of sounds in it that are in-between overdrive, distortion, and fuzz. It's expensive, but it has so many dirt colors that I've kept it for almost 10 years and use it a lot. Its lowest gain settings are still pretty dirty though, and it's not "transparent" so if you need it to double as a boost, you're better off looking elsewhere. When I got it there wasn't much out there that could do what it does, but I'm sure there are more options now.

Alternatively, you could do a 5e3 clone and voltage starve that with a special power supply.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:44 am

the FH Velcroar i used to have did a great Rust Never Sleeps sound.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby emcee_m_prime » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:28 am

The Formula 55 on the "high" setting might get you pretty close? Check out the PGS demo.
emcee_m_prime

involved
involved

Postby SMS » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:34 pm

Check out the Wren and Cuff Two Five drive. Versatile drive that really kicks, the down switch clipping reminds me of Neil.
Eivind August wrote:MAKE ILF FUZZ AGAIN!
SMS

involved
involved

Postby repoman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:37 pm

I've had all of those (Deluxe I had was a 50s Gibson GA6 which is like the octal tube 5C3 Deluxe), I'd say the Crazy Horse would be the easiest way to go to get the sound you think of when thinking about Neil Young gain/OD sounds. The gain gets so fizzy/fuzzy I think a lot of it is actually from console distortion.

I bought one of these for that kind of sound, I haven't received it yet though but it seems like it does that sound pretty good from this vid.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Davin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:23 pm

I've been using the Formula 55 for a couple weeks at home now for that sound. I've got a tweed in my practice space and my old Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom in front to really make it melt. But the Formula 55 will totally get you there. Put a delay and some reverb (if you want it) in front and it's instant Dead Man soundtrack.
llull1.bandcamp.com
Davin

committed
committed

Postby frigid midget » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:28 pm

I lusted for a Durham Crazy Horse for a while too, but it was/is more than I want to spend on a dirt pedal...

So I started messing with what I have...Turns out Clusterfuzz + Microamp does the trick, at least for me :idk:
Not saying it's the same as Neil's modded 5e3 or even the durham CH, but it comes close enough for my humble needs :)
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Davin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:49 pm

Yeah, I think the consensus on the Crazy Horse is that it's basically a boost into a pair of cascaded Tube Screamers with a BMP tone stack at the end. I was jonesing for one a couple years ago but saw a lot of, I don't want to say negative feedback but more that you could get the same effect by chaining a couple fuzz/booster/distortion pedals. For less money I think the F55 gets you there with more lower gain options. Mine responds super well to volume adjustment on the guitar which I find key to that Neil Young thing.
llull1.bandcamp.com
Davin

committed
committed

Postby sylnau » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:30 pm

Mid-Fi Magik I is quite good for that application too.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:57 pm

repoman wrote:I've had all of those (Deluxe I had was a 50s Gibson GA6 which is like the octal tube 5C3 Deluxe), I'd say the Crazy Horse would be the easiest way to go to get the sound you think of when thinking about Neil Young gain/OD sounds. The gain gets so fizzy/fuzzy I think a lot of it is actually from console distortion.

I bought one of these for that kind of sound, I haven't received it yet though but it seems like it does that sound pretty good from this vid.

Man this sounds awesome!
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby friendship » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:57 am

daedelus23 wrote:Yeah, I think the consensus on the Crazy Horse is that it's basically a boost into a pair of cascaded Tube Screamers with a BMP tone stack at the end. I was jonesing for one a couple years ago but saw a lot of, I don't want to say negative feedback but more that you could get the same effect by chaining a couple fuzz/booster/distortion pedals. For less money I think the F55 gets you there with more lower gain options. Mine responds super well to volume adjustment on the guitar which I find key to that Neil Young thing.

Tube Screamer into a pair of Fuzz Faces, one of which has a fixed gain IIRC. I think M Diver could get some success stacking drive and fuzz they might already have, especially using voltage starvation.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:23 pm

I tend to find stacking a couple of not particularly high gain fuzzes always works well enough for me. Fuzz faces, I use the suneater, most stuff that isn't like muff smooth. :idk: I'm not terribly picky about exact tone though I'm only aiming for the ballpark and playing in his style.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Muff_Diver » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:53 pm

Woah! Thank you all for your input.

That jive real saturator looks dope. Would love that with a subtle random modulation. Basically a strymon deco but cooler.

Its a little bit upsetting to learn of the true formula for the Crazy Horse. Makes the price seem not worth it tbh. I just ordered a fuzz face with voltage starve off reverb for 60 bucks, so im thinking thatll be able to get me a lot closer than I am currently.

Cant lie tho, still want the broadcast. That thing cranked sounds so raw and chewy.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to General Gear