Bixonic and The Rat

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Bixonic and The Rat

Postby jrfox92 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:00 am

The Expandora is only really comparable to a Rat in that there's an LM308 in there.
Depending on your budget and skills, I'd suggest either cloning it or getting someone else to clone it since it's such a unique circuit.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Christophe » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:50 am

greyscales wrote: Midrange content is important to make it full without being muddy.

I agree, it's definitely more on the midrange side than on the heavy clipping side. I guess humbuckers play a major role in achieving that sound (more midrange and natural compression).

jrfox92 wrote:The Expandora is only really comparable to a Rat in that there's an LM308 in there.
Depending on your budget and skills, I'd suggest either cloning it or getting someone else to clone it since it's such a unique circuit.

Yeah, that's probably the way to go. Well if anyone is willing to part with a 2000R model, let me know...
"It's wrong but it works."
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby omarwhite » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:50 am

i always just assumed they ran the guitar direct on Bodysnatchers. shows what I know
omarwhite

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:57 am

I've played a Rat but I still don't sound like Billy Gibbons.
I'm thinking this:
jrfox92 wrote:The Expandora is only really comparable to a Rat in that there's an LM308 in there.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:47 pm

goroth wrote:I've played a Rat but I still don't sound like Billy Gibbons.
I'm thinking this:

I know guys are making them still with rare unobtanium 308s they found in a shoebox in an abandoned farmhouse in upstate New York or something equally mystical, but apparently the OP07 sounds the same. It's on my list to build one of each, but since I don't have either original my reference point doesn't really exist.

Anything Billy used/uses though is of interest.
Last edited by BetterOffShred on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:34 pm

LM-301 is also supposed to be pretty close to a 308 in a Rat, so worth a try since they are cheap and plentiful.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby infamousalien » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:59 pm

I hesitate to even mention this...but the JHS Kilt is a clone I believe. Maybe you could find a used one cheap. Or at least try one in a store and see if you like it before you spend a lot on a used Expandora or have a clone commissioned. As others have said the tone machine isn't close but the tone machine is my favorite fuzz ever.
Last edited by infamousalien on Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

Postby Christophe » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:38 am

I didn't know about the Kilt... that sounds great.
"It's wrong but it works."
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:39 am

Gone Fission wrote:LM-301 is also supposed to be pretty close to a 308 in a Rat, so worth a try since they are cheap and plentiful.

Yeah, there's a list of stuff including the NE5534, LM301, CA31030, TL070, OP07, apparently the "slew rate" or how fast the opamp can change it's output is identical on the OP07/LM308.. I want to try them all of course. I need someone to let me play a real Rat ;)
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:35 am

well, apparently my current main problem with the Expandora (which BTW is the 3-switch version) is that the switch is fucked up...it started out clicking and going to ON with no actual effect, and now is stuck in ON mode with no effect no matter how many times you actuate the switch. could someone possibly take a look at and see if it's fixable? i don't have the expertise.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:58 am

dubkitty wrote:well, apparently my current main problem with the Expandora (which BTW is the 3-switch version) is that the switch is fucked up...it started out clicking and going to ON with no actual effect, and now is stuck in ON mode with no effect no matter how many times you actuate the switch. could someone possibly take a look at and see if it's fixable? i don't have the expertise.

Take some pictures with the back off. I've fixed a few switches ;)

Edit: I'm assuming you're referring to the 3pdt stomp switch? If it's soldered to the main board that's shitty, but still doable. I know these have some dip switches inside for the modes..
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:17 pm

yes, the stomp switch. i'll do pictures in the next day or 2...i'm driving up to DC tomorrow to see gybe!, so i may not get to it till Sunday.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby rustywire » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:40 pm

Good one.
Rat+Vox AC30 symbioses produced another one of my fav 90s return-of-the-riff jams/tones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttzjq29EgwU
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ts50b » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:45 pm

coupleonapkins wrote:The LP version always sounded like they blended in some direct console boosting signal (a beautiful breakup), but also not quite the Expandora classic "forbidden" setting (too much I know, but the oscillating edge feels closer).

This vid recommended (at the 3:00 mark) the much maligned JHS Colour Box re: the studio recording:

I think the Hudson Broadcast could nail the LP version as well, and then you don't need to buy from JHS
ts50b

committed
committed

Postby codetocontra » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:50 am

rustywire wrote:Good one.
Rat+Vox AC30 symbioses produced another one of my fav 90s return-of-the-riff jams/tones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttzjq29EgwU

IIRC, this song was recorded with one of those super mini Marshalls with the volume cranked. I got similar tones with a Fender one that ran on batteries. But the rest of the album was supposed to be Rat.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear