2018 releases (NAMM, Superbooth, Musikmesse)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Winter NAMM / 2018 notes

Postby echorec » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:21 pm

Chankgeez wrote:It's just a question. :idk:

What I'm asking is: "what do you think they have going for them that some other builders don't?" :snax:

There are dozens of companies in the US making solid gear, however, there is a significant leap from moderately successful to very successful to huge. To go from successful to having a huge presence in the industry (EQD, Strymon, Empress, Keeley), you need product diversity and you need big sellers in trending categories. (I'm not talking about BOSS-size.) That's why many companies will never have more than a couple employees and a small network of dealers. That's not a criticism. It's just a recognition of certain limitations. Some builders want more control and less outside influence, therefore deliberately limiting growth suits them.

The current Crazy Tube Circuits (Greece) lineup features 19 pedals. That's a lot of choices for buyers and they're working within top-trending categories (utility dirt, modulated delay, epic reverb, modulation). You would be hard-pressed to name another, somewhat under-the-radar company, with a line that big. CTC is a relatively young company, but they have shown, that they can get products from concept to completion in a short window, which can't be said about a lot of builders----who have talented people and useful ideas, but they don't adhere to deadlines or have enough variety. Many companies work in a small niche, which helps them to maintain a degree of comfort, but it hinders their overall growth (intentional or unintentional).

Chankgeez wrote:Isn't exposure just one part of the game?

People aren't going to buy from you, if they don't know that you exist. If people don't see you, everything else you do is irrelevant.

CTC has a lot of the necessary ingredients for being a top-selling brand, but their growth will be determined by their exposure and distribution, which I can't necessarily say about other builders. In other cases, I could cite several additional factors that are holding those builders back, despite having built-in geographical and economical advantages over some of their competitors.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby reckon luck » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:25 pm

Somewhat interested in the Prologue, need to see a full feature set and price.
reckon luck

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:36 pm

echorec wrote:
Chankgeez wrote:It's just a question. :idk:

What I'm asking is: "what do you think they have going for them that some other builders don't?" :snax:

There are dozens of companies in the US making solid gear, however, there is a significant leap from moderately successful to very successful to huge. To go from successful to having a huge presence in the industry (EQD, Strymon, Empress, Keeley), you need product diversity and you need big sellers in trending categories. (I'm not talking about BOSS-size.) That's why many companies will never have more than a couple employees and a small network of dealers. That's not a criticism. It's just a recognition of certain limitations. Some builders want more control and less outside influence, therefore deliberately limiting growth suits them.

The current Crazy Tube Circuits (Greece) lineup features 19 pedals. That's a lot of choices for buyers and they're working within top-trending categories (utility dirt, modulated delay, epic reverb, modulation). You would be hard-pressed to name another, somewhat under-the-radar company, with a line that big. CTC is a relatively young company, but they have shown, that they can get products from concept to completion in a short window, which can't be said about a lot of builders----who have talented people and useful ideas, but they don't adhere to deadlines or have enough variety. Many companies work in a small niche, which helps them to maintain a degree of comfort, but it hinders their overall growth (intentional or unintentional).

Chankgeez wrote:Isn't exposure just one part of the game?

People aren't going to buy from you, if they don't know that you exist. If people don't see you, everything else you do is irrelevant.

CTC has a lot of the necessary ingredients for being a top-selling brand, but their growth will be determined by their exposure and distribution, which I can't necessarily say about other builders. In other cases, I could cite several additional factors that are holding those builders back, despite having built-in geographical and economical advantages over some of their competitors.

Thanks for your detailed response & take on the subject, sir. Builders from non-traditional pedal building countries will always face more of an uphill battle to the market. I will consult you when I'm ready to launch my company. :thumb:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby echorec » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:41 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Thanks for your detailed response & take on the subject, sir. Builders from non-traditional pedal building countries will always face more of an uphill battle to the market. I will consult you when I'm ready to launch my company. :thumb:

Can you actually import from Purplandia? Are you on T's no fly list?
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:51 pm

:lol:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby actual » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Olin wrote:Image

Who's on PLL?

Also nice to see Korg with a serious offering. Any word on how closely the synth itself it related to Mini- and Monologue?
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Gone Fission » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:32 pm

breakdown wrote:
mamsk wrote:
Olin wrote:
NSFW: show

ooooooh. i see glide and LPF

Mix and Ramp?

ts50b wrote:Also, looks to me like the Chase Bliss pedal is a pitch shifter, and the name is Thermae

Thermae has apparently been a registered name for a couple years now. Might take that long to work out analog pitch shifting in a compact pedal. Only a few companies with resources tackled it in rack units way back when--A/DA, MXR, and A.R.T. are the only ones I know.

Very interesting if, like the Tonal Recall, it can both perform cleanly and intentionally chase artifacts (and associated bliss).

:snax:
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby actual » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:43 pm

Gone Fission wrote:[

Thermae has apparently been a registered name for a couple years now. Might take that long to work out analog pitch shifting in a compact pedal. Only a few companies with resources tackled it in rack units way back when--A/DA, MXR, and A.R.T. are the only ones I know.

Very interesting if, like the Tonal Recall, it can both perform cleanly and intentionally chase artifacts (and associated bliss).

:snax:

The MXR Pitch Transposer is digital if that's the one you're referring to. :)
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby echorec » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:09 pm

actual wrote:Any word on how closely the synth itself it related to Mini- and Monologue?

How proficient is your Italiano?

http://www.alarrecordingstudio.com/korg ... rettyPhoto

I shared some highlights from an unconfirmed French report (auto-translated) on the previous page, which seems to line up with the Italian page.

Initially it appears that this is a Minilogue with full-size keys and no aftertouch. The 3rd oscillator is nice, as well as being bi-timbral, but it also looks like the motion sequencer is gone. Minimal modulation routing doesn't really move the needle for me either. I'm looking forward to hearing it, but the rumored price is worrisome. If it's going to be priced like a DSI or Moog, then the Pro needs a fuller sound than the Mini. If the report is true that you can customize the 3rd oscillator, then it seems the Pro is sort of an analog/wavetable hybrid. That could be interesting, and could help some people overlook the lack of an onboard sequencer or a 2nd LFO. As for me, I'd like to do as little external editing as possible. :idk:
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:10 pm

It looks like the Volca family is expected to grow by one.

echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:22 pm

Dandolin wrote:Looks like Godlyke/TWA will have 4 new sumpin' sumpin's @ NAMM:

That was an interesting mailer to receive. The bottom-right has strong tremolo leanings obviously, but I'm quite fuzzy on the rest. I don't know if I love or hate those labels though. :lol: It's fun to see new stuff either way.

RP makes me think of Repeat Percussion or (P)haser. A 2-mode phaser from TWA could be inspiring. I'm guessing aggressive dirt for the top-two.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby actual » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:27 pm

echorec wrote:
actual wrote:Any word on how closely the synth itself it related to Mini- and Monologue?

How proficient is your Italiano?

http://www.alarrecordingstudio.com/korg ... rettyPhoto

I shared some highlights from an unconfirmed French report (auto-translated) on the previous page, which seems to line up with the Italian page.

Initially it appears that this is a Minilogue with full-size keys and no aftertouch. The 3rd oscillator is nice, as well as being bi-timbral, but it also looks like the motion sequencer is gone. Minimal modulation routing doesn't really move the needle for me either. I'm looking forward to hearing it, but the rumored price is worrisome. If it's going to be priced like a DSI or Moog, then the Pro needs a fuller sound than the Mini. If the report is true that you can customize the 3rd oscillator, then it seems the Pro is sort of an analog/wavetable hybrid. That could be interesting, and could help some people overlook the lack of an onboard sequencer or a 2nd LFO. As for me, I'd like to do as little external editing as possible. :idk:

Yeah I saw the highlights, was wondering about the analog part :) Cause like you say, the Minilogue sound doesn't fit a 1500$ price tag imo. The digital oscillator is interesting. Mixing digital and analog waveforms is one of the things that intrigues me about modular. Then again, it could be as boring as the JD-Xi/Xa.

Also excited about those TWA pedals. I'm excited about everything I guess. :idk: Hoping they're as unique as the Dynamorph and not just fuzzes.
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby adamajah » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:41 pm

adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby actual » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:03 pm

Oh, right :facepalm: Well, that leaves 3 new ones.
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby neonblack » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:15 pm

That's cool but Jesus Christ those controls
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear