Been a while since we had a HARMONIC PERCOLATOR thread, no?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Been a while since we had a HARMONIC PERCOLATOR thread,

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:18 pm

I have two percs...both are very different...tailored by two very different builders. But while both are different, I feel like neither cuts out low end, unless you want it to. The DIRGE Even Anguish (one of my two) definitely has settings that bring the ummppff!!! Think WIPERS 'Is This Real' for some settings.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:04 pm

neonblack wrote:
Do all percs cut low end or is it just this one?

None of my current examples seem to cut bass excessively (with guitar), though I seldom crank the gain or output level. The Land Devices HP-2 has the beefiest low end of the bunch.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:07 pm

ck3 wrote: The Land Devices HP-2 has the beefiest low end of the bunch.

Definitely still need to grab one of those. :snax:

I know you don't have that Fredric anymore, but can you remember what you thought of that in terms of low end loss?
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby ck3 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:27 pm

Chankgeez wrote:I know you don't have that Fredric anymore, but can you remember what you thought of that in terms of low end loss?

I was exclusively using solid state amplification at the time and recall that each clipping mode of the Utility Perkolator produced a slightly different EQ curve.

Silicon had a nice snarl that retained some bass, diode lift was the brightest, and germanium sounded a tad crispy, but generated low end that became fartier with increased gain.

Results with tubes will likely differ, as I'm finding with my remaining perc variants. They almost sound better run into my solid state amps for some reason.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:55 pm

The utility Percolator only has silicon and diode lift. I definitely prefer the lift. Silicon is a little too compressed for my taste.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:29 am

$harkToootth wrote:Think WIPERS 'Is This Real' for some settings.

But Dirge no make no more, no?
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:21 am

He sold the last one last week I think. So unless dude from EAE makes him some more boards. Wish I had gotten on it before.

Curious about that Land Devices. They got me with those aesthetics.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:21 am

neonblack wrote:The utility Percolator only has silicon and diode lift. I definitely prefer the lift. Silicon is a little too compressed for my taste.

I owned the latest version with 3 clipping modes (currently listed on the Fredric Effects website). Yours/Chank's must be an earlier model.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:39 am

Yeah, it's an earlier one. I got it from stripes.

Thanks, ck3, helpful info!

I think I like it better with the diodes lifted too.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby systemofameow » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:41 am

+1 on the Dirge. I picked one up off an ILFer recently after playing around with a perc clone my roommate uses excessively in his band. The dirge made that thing eat shit. The percolations are just so present and defined, it has a very aggressive edge to it.
systemofameow

committed
committed

Postby timhulio » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:07 am

Hi all! I've always offered a bass mod for the Fredric Effects Harmonic Percolator (and Utility Perk). This is simply a matter of doubling the input and output filter cap values. The reason that it's not there as standard is that the values used are the vintage correct ones. Also, theoretically you might lose some definition and 'bite' from the sound. Since there seems to be lots of support for a Perc with more bass, do you think I should add the bass mod on the Fredric site - like a drop-down option?
timhulio

involved
involved

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:13 am

timhulio wrote:Hi all! I've always offered a bass mod for the Fredric Effects Harmonic Percolator (and Utility Perk). This is simply a matter of doubling the input and output filter cap values. The reason that it's not there as standard is that the values used are the vintage correct ones. Also, theoretically you might lose some definition and 'bite' from the sound. Since there seems to be lots of support for a Perc with more bass, do you think I should add the bass mod on the Fredric site - like a drop-down option?

As I said, it's the best mod I've seen for percolators.. just throw it on a DPDT toggle and boom, vintage up, double down. I went with more than double for the output cap on D rocks suggestion, but I tried a few.

Adding a toggle makes nerds happy :joy:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:34 am

Awesome, Tim, thanks for chiming in!

I didn't know you offered that mod. You should definitely add it to your site as a drop-down option. :thumb:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:48 am

timhulio wrote:Since there seems to be lots of support for a Perc with more bass, do you think I should add the bass mod on the Fredric site - like a drop-down option?

98% of crows polled on this question approve.

"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:53 am

Definitely need to look into that

Also more Dirge EAs on the way! Saw in Instagram
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear