Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby behndy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:22 am

lol. had an Alter, pimp. but like the Erber, i don't have THAT much hp free. i have a Pico DSP (had a Black Hole), it's not bad. still playing with it. but i would love something with awesome sound and CV control over more parts, especialllllllly mix, in 10 hp or under?
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dark Barn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:28 am

behndy wrote:also, why are there only spring reverbs in eurorack format? the 2hp VERB sounds..... okay. but not great. don't mind going up in hp, but i really don't want to deal with a reverb tank. i've tried two modules that use them, i get mad interference from something in my music yarea, don't want to deal with isolating that.

is the Aeverb MK2 worth hunting down?

any non-tank reverbs to check out?

After my trouble with the Audio Damage EOS and their failure to live up to promises made, I will forever say to stay away from this brand. Regarding spring reverb i think it sounds great with synth and might be worth seeing if you can get better results from trying a different model/brand or maybe when you get your new case? The Erbe Verb kicks major ass but maybe bigger than you want? The reverb algos on the Disting are nothing to write home about, but they work and I use them.
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:30 am

behndy wrote:lol. had an Alter, pimp. but like the Erber, i don't have THAT much hp free. i have a Pico DSP (had a Black Hole), it's not bad. still playing with it. but i would love something with awesome sound and CV control over more parts, especialllllllly mix, in 10 hp or under?

Had an Alter? They haven't shipped yet? Have they? Am I missing something? Where's my Alter 2?

I do agree though; I'm surprised there's no full featured reverb options in the 10 hp range. I feel like Alright should make a reverb to go along with the Chronoblob
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby oscillateur » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:06 am

You can get control over mix with a separate crossfader, if that's the main thing that you don't like in some reverbs.

Pico DSP and Intellijel Digiverb (which has Digitank written on the panel, talk about a confusing name) are enough for me. I do not have many HP available for this though, so something bigger is hard to justify...
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:15 am

The Erbe-Verb is just so amazing. So easy to make it sound nasty as fuck, too.

Soooo. Don't be mad.... I might have figured out my 10 hp problem. I also have a Quadra+Expander on loan, but it's been sitting in my test rack (HEK) in a corner because I didn't think I had space for it. Anywho, Take out that MME+Exp, and BAM 24 HP. Will do the rearranging later. But that'll get me off of wanting anything extra I don't need. But, that'll have to go back with the rest of the stuff soon enough, so it's good to start thinking about how I'll replace it.
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby behndy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:25 am

MrNovember wrote:
behndy wrote:lol. had an Alter, pimp. but like the Erber, i don't have THAT much hp free. i have a Pico DSP (had a Black Hole), it's not bad. still playing with it. but i would love something with awesome sound and CV control over more parts, especialllllllly mix, in 10 hp or under?

Had an Alter? They haven't shipped yet? Have they? Am I missing something? Where's my Alter 2?

I do agree though; I'm surprised there's no full featured reverb options in the 10 hp range. I feel like Alright should make a reverb to go along with the Chronoblob

durp. meant Conduit. or Matter? i forget which is the efx buggererer.

ooooooo! would LOVE to see Alrighty Then Devices put out a reverb. YES PLEASE.

also, spent some time with the Pico. i do dig it. for some reason didna yesterday, it's on the Transient snare sounds (and into Freez) here -

FIXED

iiiiiiiiiii am LIKING the E352. haven't really fucked around with Clouds stuff yet, but even without that, the display and interface is SO much better for me than the e350 was without it.
Last edited by behndy on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby oscillateur » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:10 am

The audio on that video is only on the left channel...

And yeah, the Pico DSP is a great use of 3HP. I like both reverbs, the granular delay has some nice sweet spots, the delays are simple but potentially useful. Not a big fan of the other modes but they can have their uses too.
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jwar » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:23 am

oscillateur wrote:You just need something that generates triggers.

Do you want something standalone or a module ? What type of controls (knob, tap tempo, etc.) ? Do you want to set a tempo somehow and then be able to have multiplications/divisions or just set it once and leave it as is ?

A simple box with an 555 LFO could do the trick if you're not that concerned with super precise stability.

You know, I'm leaning towards a module just so I can have an excuse to try them out and get my stuff in a safer place. Right now, I have my stuff sitting on the floor in my office. This is mostly my fault obviously but I feel like the Mescaline would be safer in a rack of some sort. So, I've been looking into making one as it seems to be pretty simple and a lot more cost effective this way. Plus, I could rack my Metasonix stuff as well. I just need the ears for it.

As far as controls, the more the better usually for me, but I dig simplicity as well. I'd love a tap tempo of some sort or at least something that allows me to controls the beat. Multipliers and divisions are amazing with the other sequencers I have, so that'd be really interesting and actually now you've got me thinking of trying my Meris Ottobit Jr and seeing if I'd dig the module of that. It seems like it might have what I'm looking for plus some. Hmmm...never thought of that.

I'm mainly looking for something to create a beat, keep the beat, but be able to have a variable beat when I want (so manipulation is key).

The EVA is good at this but it's a bit slower to respond and it's pretty simple. It does what it does extremely well however.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby worra » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:25 am

yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:
I have actually been looking at different filters as a whole, but I hadn't thought of just looking for a small one. I've had the Ripples in my care for about 6 months so I feel I know it pretty well but I've really missed having a high pass filter in general.

Did someone say Cinnamon yet?
https://foldednote.bandcamp.com
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:27 am

Upon second look, the Meris isn't really for euro's it seems. So scratch that.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:16 am

Whatkind of metasonixs do you have jwar?
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:39 am

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Upon second look, the Meris isn't really for euro's it seems. So scratch that.

Yeah their rack stuff is more studio / 500 series stuff right?
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:52 am

D.o.S. wrote:Whatkind of metasonixs do you have jwar?

Right now just a couple of TM boxes but I’ve had more. I love the way they work and sound. I’ve got the TM 2 and TM 5 but am keeping my eyes open for more when they aren’t stupid expensive. I actually got Eric to agree to build me a dedicated supply for those monsters back when I had like 5 of them.

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby behndy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:54 am

oscillateur wrote:The audio on that video is only on the left channel...

And yeah, the Pico DSP is a great use of 3HP. I like both reverbs, the granular delay has some nice sweet spots, the delays are simple but potentially useful. Not a big fan of the other modes but they can have their uses too.

lol. DURP. yeah. then it was an ADVENTURE. fixed the panning, which like. IMPORTANT. best to have all the audio. but then uploaded a vid with the audio muted. then did it RIGHT.

thank you suh!

yurp. i'm digging the Pico DSP. the BitCrush is sort of garbage, and the Lesley is meh, but the rest is fun.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. sound boy king » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:17 pm

Did someone here get an Instruo Scion?

I am curious about this module and how it works. Does it send crazy fuckin' CV all over the place or more regular patterns or what the fuck...
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear