Let's see your AMP!



Moderators: Ghost Hip, metalmariachi

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby adamajah » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:22 am

she's dirty but cleans up good too
Attachments
dirtyshirley.jpg
dirtyshirley.jpg (276.02 KiB) Viewed 487 times
adamajah

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:35 pm

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby Muff_Diver » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:17 am

HAVN wrote:These things are sweet looking. How is it as far as versatility?


Best amp I've ever owned or played. I wouldnt say its as versatile as something like a mesa, but its cleans, breakup, and touch sensitivity are far beyond any other amp's. The ef86 channel can get pretty nasty, but its a different kind of distortion than a jcm or bassman. You just gotta try one out to get it. Great master volume too, but like all amps, it sounds best with it bypassed. Just big, clear, swirly chords every time. Makes me happy just thinking about going home and playing it.
Muff_Diver

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:48 am

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby frigid midget » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:49 am

Muff_Diver wrote:Image
Got myself a DC30 this weekend. Now I need to make a cab for it.


Dayumn! :drool:

How much do these typically go for these days?
univalve wrote:The fuzz pedlols fuck everything up...
frigid midget

FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1999
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:31 pm

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby blakestree » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:59 am

Muff_Diver wrote:Best amp I've ever owned or played. I wouldnt say its as versatile as something like a mesa, but its cleans, breakup, and touch sensitivity are far beyond any other amp's. The ef86 channel can get pretty nasty, but its a different kind of distortion than a jcm or bassman. You just gotta try one out to get it. Great master volume too, but like all amps, it sounds best with it bypassed. Just big, clear, swirly chords every time. Makes me happy just thinking about going home and playing it.


I love the EF86 in my AC20 Deluxe. But, I like it best playing straight into the amp. With pedals, I prefer the 12AX7.
While leaves shall fall, do branches intertwine, that we remain bound.

Blake's Tree
blakestree

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2203
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:36 pm
Location: Savannah, GA USA

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby Muff_Diver » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:09 am

frigid midget wrote:Dayumn! :drool:

How much do these typically go for these days?

It varies by time and location, but generally 2200-2800. I traded my lightning reverb combo + cash for it.

blakestree wrote:I love the EF86 in my AC20 Deluxe. But, I like it best playing straight into the amp. With pedals, I prefer the 12AX7.


Im not much of a pedal guy tbh, so Im always going straight in, with a fuzz being the exception. I think its touch-sensitive enough that any kind of od/distortion is unnecessary.
Muff_Diver

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:48 am

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby blakestree » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:17 am

Muff_Diver wrote:I think its touch-sensitive enough that any kind of od/distortion is unnecessary.


Totally agree. Though, mine can react well to some light boost.
While leaves shall fall, do branches intertwine, that we remain bound.

Blake's Tree
blakestree

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2203
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:36 pm
Location: Savannah, GA USA

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby Muff_Diver » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:20 am

blakestree wrote:
Muff_Diver wrote:I think its touch-sensitive enough that any kind of od/distortion is unnecessary.


Totally agree. Though, mine can react well to some light boost.


Ive been tempted to try something light out. I have SHO thats great with the twin but didnt get along well with the lightning. Im still in the honeymoon phase, so once that subsides Ill give the SHO a go. Pretty tempted to try a klon as well.
Muff_Diver

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:48 am

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby horseblanket » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:30 pm

I am a recent convert to the Matchless/Badcat family.
These need more love. Just fantastic amps.


Muff_Diver wrote:Image
Got myself a DC30 this weekend. Now I need to make a cab for it.
horseblanket

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:25 pm
Location: Long Beach, CA

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby Cisco » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:13 pm

New cheap-ass bass amp.

Image
Cisco

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:16 pm
Location: Dago

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby Hypnodrone » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:57 am

Just pulled this one out of a storage container that was being emptied. Paid like $100 for this set, a Sony 1/2 inch tape machine, an EARTH amp head and a Peavey PA mixer. The Simms-Watts sounds freakin huge and so clean. Noise floor is extremely low, a barely audible hiss with preamp and master on 5, prescense all the way up. It had bad output tubes so they blew after 30 minutes. Need bias, new tubes and I'll rip the caps as well since it hasn't been played in a decade. Speakers are very good, one replacement that sounds a little brighter but I might score an original to swap out.

Image
Hypnodrone

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:51 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby JereFuzz » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Hypnodrone wrote:Just pulled this one out of a storage container that was being emptied. Paid like $100 for this set, a Sony 1/2 inch tape machine, an EARTH amp head and a Peavey PA mixer. The Simms-Watts sounds freakin huge and so clean. Noise floor is extremely low, a barely audible hiss with preamp and master on 5, prescense all the way up. It had bad output tubes so they blew after 30 minutes. Need bias, new tubes and I'll rip the caps as well since it hasn't been played in a decade. Speakers are very good, one replacement that sounds a little brighter but I might score an original to swap out.

Image

Great for 60s/70s decor even if it doesn’t work - working is a plus ...
Synths:

Arturia: Minibrute
Casio: CTK-6200
Novation: Mininova
Korg: MS-20
Moog: Minitaur
Roland: JD-XI, JU-06
Yamaha: Reface DX

Drum Machines/Samplers/Sequencers:

Akai: Rhythm Wolf, Tom Cat, MPX8
Alesis: SR-16
Korg: Volca Beats
Zoom: RT-223, RT-123
JereFuzz

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:59 am

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby JereFuzz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:36 am

waltdogg wrote:lolol. yeah, i foolishly sold mine to a yokel back in orange county and never saved his number.

agreed. the studio is probably one of *the* best sounding low wattage, great breakup, takes pedals like a champ amp ever. superior to my ampeg g-18 easily.


Damn, you weren't kidding about it taking pedals well. It has this sort of fat clip to the distortion and when I run my EHX crayon into it the amp sings. No jagged/transistory distortion - it sounds 3d/creamy/punchy! As noted before it is too heavy. I'd love it if someone designed a preamp version of this amp ....
Synths:

Arturia: Minibrute
Casio: CTK-6200
Novation: Mininova
Korg: MS-20
Moog: Minitaur
Roland: JD-XI, JU-06
Yamaha: Reface DX

Drum Machines/Samplers/Sequencers:

Akai: Rhythm Wolf, Tom Cat, MPX8
Alesis: SR-16
Korg: Volca Beats
Zoom: RT-223, RT-123
JereFuzz

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:59 am

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby ancientbones » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:06 pm

Image

New cab day! Nice little Sunn 412L. Still has the original model 126 speakers in it.

Amp was built by the awesome Brig Alcorn out of a salvaged Peavey deuce chassis. Plexi with a jameson style tone stack.

I built the guitar myself. The Crustang v1.5. Waiting on a heavier Warmoth body to arrive to balance it out better.
ancientbones

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:04 pm

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby PeteeBee » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:28 pm

horseblanket wrote:I am a recent convert to the Matchless/Badcat family.
These need more love. Just fantastic amps.


Muff_Diver wrote:Image
Got myself a DC30 this weekend. Now I need to make a cab for it.


What’s the bad cat/matchless connection? I didn’t realize they had anything in common
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.


BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:36 am
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby imJonWain » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:27 pm

Love both, the amp build is really nice.

ancientbones wrote:Image

New cab day! Nice little Sunn 412L. Still has the original model 126 speakers in it.

Amp was built by the awesome Brig Alcorn out of a salvaged Peavey deuce chassis. Plexi with a jameson style tone stack.

I built the guitar myself. The Crustang v1.5. Waiting on a heavier Warmoth body to arrive to balance it out better.
BitchPudding wrote:Thats hella tight dude


"I'm not sure what "serious design flaws" you see. Does it explode or poison your dog?" - PRR @ diystompboxes
imJonWain

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:56 pm
Location: Boston Area

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.