Who Loves Badass TV shows? Let's hear it!

Moderator: Ryan

Re: i love you Dr. Scientist

Postby Ryan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:29 pm

I hear you, Scruffie, Red Dwarf ended so long ago that it was kinda crazy that it came back even though I think lots of people have been hoping for that every year. I know it was different from what we all love about Red Dwarf, especially the first couple seasons of the show when it's so low key and cool, but I just couldn't help loving it anyway!

We're actually watching Pyschoville currently, we're on episode 4 I think waiting for the next one to air. That's cool to hear it's made by the League people.. have you been watching it too? It's.... mmmmm.... really weird hey? I think it's pretty cool.. last episode was pretty extra strange...

I've got Green Wings downloading now, can't wait to check it out! Thanks a bunch!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Scruffie » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:39 pm

I've only seen the first 2 of physcoville so far and yea... it's very weird, but I think league is probably a little less weird and a bit more comedy but still pretty weird, plus physcoville isn't the entire original cast of league of gentlemen, so it probably had better writing going into it than physcoville.

Yea I had been hoping for more dwarf in a way and was glad to hear they were going to do it, but just some things that they changed (especially the lack of the laughter track, which I normally hate but I felt it removed ambience) and the over use of computer graphics, change of sets and the fact I didn't really like the whole london and coronation street thing... oh well, it was more red dwarf and may lead to more but taking in to account the problems people had with it which would mean that it did good, I laughed a couple of times though and it was good to see it back and I can see the still loving it anyway!

Hope you enjoy the green wings, I certainly did and most people I know did, tell me how it goes!
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby Ryan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:55 pm

We're a few episodes into Green Wing and League of Gentlemen, great shows and thanks for suggesting them! It's awesome that Fran from Black Books is on Green Wing, she reminds me of a female Noel Fielding. League is right up my alley, dark and weird and silly, I like it a lot more than Psychoville I think.

I totally agree with you Scruffie about the Red Dwarf changes, the computer graphics especially.. I'll never understand what was so bad about using models for effects like in the 70s and 80s.. I think that always looks better than cgi. The Coronation Street thing was weird too, especially for us, we have no idea what Coronation Street is! It's basically a soap opera, right? Like the British version of Days of Our Lives kinda thing?

We should have some threads where can all chat about tv shows and movies, I hate thinking of all the cool stuff out there I'm missing! Besides British comedy I have one other real entertainment passion... conspiracy crap! UFOs, secret societies, the moon, Mars, dimensions, time travel, ghosts, werewolves, all that paranormal supernatural unexplained stuff... love it!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Scruffie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:37 pm

I only know of the days of our lives thing in friends lol, which I highly doubt is the same one.
Coronation street is a soap opera and not even a very popular one at that (it's just that the guy that plays lister is an actor in it), it just seems to have gone on for about 20 years... I've never actually watched it...

Yea the models were far better, but I think it's a cost thing as they require there own studio just for effects... still, worth every penny I think, CGI is terrible, especially when it's the cheap kind they use on t.v.

Ah a paranormal fan eh lol, just started watching the U.S show supernatural after finishing all the x-files that I missed cause I was too young, seems good, rock sound track and well the supernatural, good combo.

A female noel fielding lol, nice call, glad your enjoying it, that and the league of gentleman, which I agree on preffering.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby Ryan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:17 pm

I'm a huge X-Files fan, I think that was one of the coolest shows that's ever been on tv... I even liked it after Mulder and Scully were gone, just a little less.

We watch Supernatural too... we actually put it off for a long time thinking it was just a dumb WB show but we were way off, it's cool! If I could have any automobile right now I think I'd choose their car.

Thing about both those shows is I always like the episodes that stand alone.. I hate when shows get all bogged down in a big over-arching theme or story, that kills it for me.. I like individual episodes of awesomeness, especially the funny ones. X-Files had some hilarious and cool oddball episodes.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Scruffie » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:34 pm

Hells yea that Chevy Impala is sweeet (beats my volkswagen :( ), Yea I thought it was gunna be a bit tacky but i've really gotten into it, thankfully it's free on my On Demand service but it means i've missed the first season so that's a bit annoying, but it's filled my x files void (I can see alottt of simmilarities... but then again I suppose that's to be expected)

Yea I loved x files, one of my favourite shows ever, it had pretty much everything. I watched all 9 seasons last year for the first time after seeing a few episodes as a kid and them scaring the shit out of me lol but it certainly did have it's odd ball episodes and stand alones that were great (one with the bradey bunch house springs to mind as being fairly odd) although I liked the overall story line but that's probably because I watched them all in bulk along with both films (even though the recent one wasn't great)

I'm trying to find some other T.V series in a simmilar vein... thought I might try True Blood as that's just started showing here but i'm not sure on it, that and twin peaks which I hear was meanna be scary but i'm having a tough time finding a copy of it.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby Ryan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:40 pm

I watched the new Terminator movie last night and it was directed or produced, I forget, by the same dude MCG who does Supernatural.. pretty cool I thought. He makes Chuck too... I don't like that one as much.

I was hoping for way more from the new X-Files movie... I don't know, I just didn't get the X-Filey experience out of it I wanted... it was still awesome to see them back though, I'm just a sucker for my favourite shows.. I don't care how crappy the new versions are, I'm just happy to see them back!

There's some older tv shows that are very similar to X-Files but not as well done, check out The Outer Limits and Psi Factor, both really similar and from around the same time, 90s. True Blood is a good show but nothing like X-Files, I like it though, cool idea for a show. Twin Peaks is.. well.. weird... but cool. I don't think it's like the X-Files at all either though. I feel like I'm forgetting a good sci-fi/supernatural show to recommend...
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Scruffie » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:08 am

Funnily enough I watched the new Terminator last night aswell! lol Yea McG does do Supernatural which is kinda cool (reminds me of the joke hollywood episode they did if you've seen it) haven't seen chuck but it's advertised enough.

Yea I was hoping for more from the x files movie, I mean they were still lookin' good (mmm scully in the earlier x-files...) and it was all there but something didn't click, what i'm hoping for though is that it will spring more films (and I think they said in interviews this was very possible) even if they will end up being straight to DVD now due to it flopping.

I watched my first outer limits the other day actually, kinda reminded me of a cross between the twilight zone and the british hammer house of horror films but updated, looked ok, bit cheap though.

Well I watched the twin peaks film the other day (which I think they made after the series and is a prequel... which I probably shoulda waited till after the T.V program for) It didn't scare me... hell it didn't really make sense but I think it might be something you really have to get into, the only simmilarity to it and the X-files is it's weird... theres a murder... and there is an FBI agent... so i'l have to see on that one.

I'l give Psi Factor a look and give True Blood a shot now it's started showing, I know it wont be the X-files but it is in the T.V horror genre atleast and the advert music is good lol.

I do have one secret T.V pleasure though... it involves vampires... and I probably shouldn't be watching it at my age but she is damn hot...you can probably guess what it is.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby harpies » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:35 pm

Scruffie wrote:Well I watched the twin peaks film the other day (which I think they made after the series and is a prequel... which I probably shoulda waited till after the T.V program for) It didn't scare me... hell it didn't really make sense but I think it might be something you really have to get into, the only simmilarity to it and the X-files is it's weird... theres a murder... and there is an FBI agent... so i'l have to see on that one.

The movie is really for the fans and has little context without having seen the show. it does sorta ruin the show a bit if you haven't seen it, but still give the show a try then go back to the movie. Love, love, love me some David Lynch.
harpies

experienced
experienced

Postby Ryan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:34 pm

David Lynch has sure made some interesting movies and tv shows! I have to say my favourite thing he's done is Dune, that movie blows me away. I want to control the spice.

No judging here, Scruffie, I think the vampire show in question is top notch... legendary really! I looked forward to it every week when it was originally airing!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Scruffie » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:47 pm

theinteriorleag wrote:
Scruffie wrote:Well I watched the twin peaks film the other day (which I think they made after the series and is a prequel... which I probably shoulda waited till after the T.V program for) It didn't scare me... hell it didn't really make sense but I think it might be something you really have to get into, the only simmilarity to it and the X-files is it's weird... theres a murder... and there is an FBI agent... so i'l have to see on that one.

The movie is really for the fans and has little context without having seen the show. it does sorta ruin the show a bit if you haven't seen it, but still give the show a try then go back to the movie. Love, love, love me some David Lynch.

Well i'd already heard alot from people that suggested it that had watched it in the 90's so I kinda figured out what was gunna happen so ruining wasn't too much of a factor (I watched the first episode on you tube, the film just confirmed everything for me)

Ryan wrote:David Lynch has sure made some interesting movies and tv shows! I have to say my favourite thing he's done is Dune, that movie blows me away. I want to control the spice.

No judging here, Scruffie, I think the vampire show in question is top notch... legendary really! I looked forward to it every week when it was originally airing!

Yea he has made some interesting things, Blue velvet with that Dennis Hopper scene... I haven't got round to watching Dune either, I have too much stuff to catch up on! I only played the 90's Amiga game lol.

Yea it is awesome (I just started watching it on FX again recently as they only aired the first season or 2 here), it had alot of good things about it and each episode was a bit like a mini film which I like in a T.V program, I love the horror stylings of some of these programs and wish they were put accross into film a bit more/better sometimes cause I do love my horror films, bad or good.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby Ryan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:54 pm

Scruffie, go watch Dune right now! You won't be disappointed! OK.. maybe you will be.... it's a pretty out-there movie, really heavy sci-fi, really involved theme and plot, it's not for everybody... but it's an amazing film and there's really nothing like it. And Toto made all the music for it.. you know how good Toto was!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Scruffie » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:00 pm

Who doesn't love Toto lol :picard: I shall aquire the film for watching tommorow night... 11 at night now so too late to acquire it, although I have a mass list of films to see still (I haven't seen the Dark knight yet, I get in trouble for that alot)

I can live with and really even enjoy Sci-fi as long as it's good Sci-fi (don't like bad sci-fi unless it's outright funny where as I do like bad horror) watched Watchmen recently without having read the 'graphic novel' and I got into that, but that may have been due to having someone that was well read on it, although not technically Sci-fi, it was indepth. Plus i've seen alot of the 80's Sci-fi, blade runner... can't think of any other names etc.

I will give it a watch and let you know! Cheers for the suggestion.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby Scruffie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:43 pm

Phew, finally got an chance to watch Dune last night, Yea it was pretty damn good! Good suggestion And Toto Woooo lol.

Oh and btw i've been looking at your pedals and why don't I have one... it's just not fair! The only place in the U.K your site lists is Vintage guitars, technically near me but there mainly out of stock :no:
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby Ryan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:52 pm

Glad you liked it, Scruffie! Heavy sci-fi or what, hey! That movie really influenced me... it took me 3 years of eating cinnamon every day but I finally got my eyes to glow blue like that.

The season finale of Psychoville aired this week, I enjoyed the series.. dark and weird. We watched a brand new UK comedy the other day called We Are Klang.. pretty funny!

We've only got the one UK dealer, sorry for the hassle there, but we sure love working with Joe Light from VandR Guitars.. he's a great guy. He's had entire batches of 30+ pedals sell out in a matter of days and his last batch was a few months ago I think. We probably should just start taking direct orders again but only from ILF members!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Dr. Scientist