The Heisenberg Molecular Overdrive

Moderator: Ryan

Re: The Heisenberg Molecular Overdrive

Postby ThorZ » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:34 am

although saying that, dont you have every Dr Scientist pedal known to man? or am i thinking of someone else
Im not back. Im just front
ThorZ

committed
committed

Postby Clean Channel » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:18 pm

ThorZ wrote:so sexy !! just missing a Cleanness there buddy

ThorZ wrote:although saying that, dont you have every Dr Scientist pedal known to man? or am i thinking of someone else

Nope, that's Terminal Vertigo who has every Dr.S pedal known to man.

You're right, one day I gotta get a Cleanness. I'd love to get a real pretty one; there are some lookers out there.

Until then I guess Ryan would rate my board an 8/10. :)
Clean Channel

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:38 pm

Clean Channel wrote:
Until then I guess Ryan would rate my board an 8/10. :)

Don't think that's true. :?: Still think Ryan'd give you a 10/10 ranking there. :!!!:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby terminalvertigo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:47 pm

Clean Channel wrote:Science!!!

Nice work with the knobs on my old bitquest! board's looking sharp bud :)
terminalvertigo

committed
committed

Postby terminalvertigo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:55 pm

Clean Channel wrote:Nope, that's Terminal Vertigo who has every Dr.S pedal known to man.

Ha!

although, I think I might have every version (or I am close) of the pedals ryan has made through the years :D

I'll probably need to do a bit of a sell off of duplicates to pick some others up in the future :cool:

which reminds me, the get your dr sci boards thread could use an update :)*
terminalvertigo

committed
committed

Postby Neanderthal Head » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:56 pm

What's that goat pedal again?
Neanderthal Head

committed
committed

Postby Clean Channel » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:03 pm

terminalvertigo wrote:
Clean Channel wrote:Nope, that's Terminal Vertigo who has every Dr.S pedal known to man.

I'll probably need to do a bit of a sell off of duplicates to pick some others up in the future :cool:

which reminds me, the get your dr sci boards thread could use an update :)*

Good point! I'll head over to the Dr.S boards thread and post!

Aaand, if you have a pretty cleanness you're parting with, drop me a line. :)

Neanderthal Head wrote:What's that goat pedal again?

It's a one-off Blackout Effectors Twosome with top jacks. I LOVE it and use it constantly!
Clean Channel

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Neanderthal Head » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:07 pm

Blackout makes terrific gear.
Neanderthal Head

committed
committed

Postby Sparrow » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:38 pm

Clean Channel wrote:Science!!!

just.. Amazing.
Blue Strat - Jazzmascis - Tele.
Fender - Squier.
Dr. Scientist - Dirge - FuzzHugger - Montreal Assembly - Hypnodrone.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sparrow1133
Sparrow

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Neanderthal Head » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:56 pm

[/quote]It's a one-off Blackout Effectors Twosome with top jacks. I LOVE it and use it constantly![/quote]

Is that a custom thing then?
Neanderthal Head

committed
committed

Postby Clean Channel » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:44 pm

Neanderthal Head wrote:Is that a custom thing then?

Yep!

Blackout has said they don't like to make Twosomes top-mounted as it's too difficult to fit all the wiring. However, they're fans of a band called Bongripper, and at some point noticed one member had a Twosome on his board, mounted sideways to fit (he's on ILF as ronripper). So, they offered to make him this custom pedal. BE posted about it on Facebook, and I was insanely jealous! It was exactly what I had been begging for!

Then, a couple years (or so) later the Bongripper guy suddenly sold it on the Talk Bass forum (I don't know why). Once I learned that it was out on the market I tracked down the buyer (he's on ILF as UnicornTrap) and I asked if/when he ever sold it, could he please let me know first. He generously and thankfully agreed (THANK YOU THANK YOU FOREVER UNICORNTRAP!). About eight or so months went by (I think) then he contacted me to let me know I could have it. He even gave me a fair price, despite knowing that he could have hosed the heck out of me since I wanted it so badly.

I'm almost positive it's the only top-mounted Twosome BE has ever made.

I use it constantly; I love everything it does!

I know DIYer made his own Twosome with top jacks, but he oriented the encolsure sideways, so his pedal still takes up more horizontal space than my Twosome.

Here are a couple pics of the DIYer's Twosome:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/ ... zebv72.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/ ... xgnvln.jpg

So yep, it's custom, but they didn't build it by my request. I hunted it down, it's everything I ever hoped for, and I'll never let it go!
Clean Channel

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Clean Channel » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:47 pm

Sparrow wrote:just.. Amazing.

:group:
Clean Channel

Supporter
Supporter

Postby goroth » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:53 am

Well, I decided to take the Heisenberg to band rehearsal. Left the PT-pro at home and rehearsed with ONE OVERDRIVE only. No distortion pedals anywhere. No delays. Nothing. Just overdrive. This was... odd. But I really wanted to hear how the Heisenberg sounded in a band context! Anyways, we were jamming a lot so I didn't do a whole lot of nuanced knob twisting, but my first impressions after a run through at healthily unhealthy volume levels are thus:

FET is the cleanest, and sounds great as a sparkly boost. I'm going to have to bring an Elements and play the stacking game. (Sorry FET, I kind of jibbed you).

NPN has slightly lower fidelity and can sound like a fuzzy overdrive. I didn't have my board to compare it, but I'm fairly certain I dialed in something that was quite similar to the SS/BS mini with the bias at around 11 o clock. It's not sputtery, or underbiased at all, but I think the frequency response is a little more limited than the other two modes, the clipping a touch warmer (softer/different onset?) and just generally a little more scruffy than the other two modes. I've never played a tweed or anything, but it reminds me of sounds that have been described as tweedy. Lots of character. Totally is my favourite sort of low gain overdrive sound.

But given that we play metal I spent 95% of the night with the op-amp gain maxed out. It was awesome. I play with low output singles and with the gain maxed it was a really tight sound. Dial up the treble a little bit and you get into that fantastic piercing (but not shrill) Jesus Lizardian medium overdrive sound. You can hear a lot of the character of the strings, lots of zing, sounds almost like a distortion when you strum open chords hard or belt the crap out of the guitar when you are palm muting, but it is easy to get that sort of threatening, tight, clean palm mute sound that I associated with pretty much anything Duane Denison has gone within 6 feet of. You have absolutely no margin for error, and to get it to really distort you have to hit everything very hard and very correct, but it makes for a visceral playing experience. We don't play grind or anything particularly brutal, but it absolutely nails the Beaten to Death sound.

Can't wait to play some more!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Clean Channel » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:20 pm

Great post Goroth, I agree with a lot of it!

After initially finding myself drawn to the FET circuit, I found myself using the opamp one a lot yesterday. I dig the wide gain range on it and the character of the gain. While it's the circuit with the most gain on tap, I also really dig the lighter gain settings on the opamp circuit!

I like your description of the npn as being kinda low-fi; that's definitely a good way to put it. For my purposes (an end-of-dirt-chain stacker) it's the one I think I'll use the least, but awesome to have that sound ready and waiting for when I want it.

My dirt chain goes Twosome->Frazz->Elements->Heisenberg and the Heisey really stacks great with all of them. When stacking the simple treble control on the Heisey adds some nice cut for lead stuff and boosting too.

Before clicking 'submit' I just plugged in again and ran through the three circuits. Again today I'm finding that the opamp stage will be the best one for what I'm doing right now.

Looking forward to more experimenting! (scientific experiments, of course)
Last edited by Clean Channel on Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clean Channel

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Neanderthal Head » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:56 pm

Too lazy to provide details ala goroth and clean channel. Suffice it to say that this pedal kills - on its own and stacked with my Colossus and DMM. A friend was playing his new Sacred Cow, and the Heisenberg kind of slayed it - not really a fair comparison, but you take the point. Just so much great tonal shaping to be had.
Neanderthal Head

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to Dr. Scientist