The Heisenberg Molecular Overdrive

Moderator: Ryan

The Heisenberg Molecular Overdrive

Postby Ryan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:15 pm

*trumpets and drum rolls and champagne*

Please allow myself to introduce The Heisenberg Molecular Overdrive!
Dr. Scientist The Heisenberg November 2015.jpeg

The world's first commercially available product to contain a molecular junction! (You can read here for more back-story and info about MJs: http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=43705)

Here's Dr. Adam Bergren's description of them:

Molecular electronics is a field of science that merges concepts from chemistry, physics, materials science, electronics engineering, and even biology. The central goal of research in molecular electronics is to understand how electrons move across molecular distance scales. Many typical small molecules are around 1 nm in length, which is 1 billionth of a meter. At these distance scales, electron conduction can occur via quantum mechanical tunneling and other, novel, nanoscale mechanisms.

A molecular junction is a large area electronic device that uses nanoscale layers of molecules sandwiched between two conductive contacts. The distance between the two conductors in a molecular junction is in the range of molecular dimensions, generally 1-20 nm. A molecular junction contains different materials than “normal” semiconductor-based electronic devices. In addition, the molecular junction’s electronic properties are determined by nanoscale electron transport mechanisms. These two factors cause differences in performance of clipping circuits that utilize molecular junctions for clipping in place of conventional diodes.

The Heisenberg is a low gain to medium gain overdrive pedal that has 3 simple single gain stages to show off the sound of the MJs. The stages go from low gain to high gain, the FET stage being like a gritty boost, the NPN transistor stage is more fuzz oriented and a little higher gain, and the op-amp stage is more distortion oriented, the widest gain range of the three stages. The gain stages share an active treble control and a master volume.

More pics! (The finish is called Ultra Black Chrome, it's a shiny dark grey that my pics don't do justice to)
Dr. Scientist The Heisenberg side.jpeg

Dr. Scientist The Heisenberg light plate.jpeg

Dr. Scientist The Heisenberg pcb.jpeg

This first round of the Heisenberg is a limited release, there's only about 130 of them available and they contain the whole world's supply of molecular junctions, we got 'em all here! Hopefully we'll all get to make more in 2016 and plans are in place to make that happen but I don't know when that might be, several months at least.

Here's the instruction manual for your perusal:

Here's JustNick's demo video:

Here's what you get in the box:
The Heisenberg package.jpg

The USB flash drive has the instruction manual on it, lots of pics of molecular junctions, and lots of scientific .pdfs for you to read including an article published in The Journal of Physics.

Yesterday we shipped all the Heiseys to our dealers, they're all en route now and will start arriving in stores over the next week. Here's a list of the stores that are receiving them, ordered by quantity received.

Analogue Haven - USA
Axe And You Shall Receive - Canada
Rogue Guitar Shop - USA
Leprechaun FX - Canada
Deluxe Guitars - Australia
Noise Supply - Canada
Prymaxe Vintage - USA
Joe's Pedals - UK
Gear Orphanage - USA
Coast Sonic - USA
Acoustic Music Shop - Canada
Effekt Boutique - Germany
Tone Factor - USA
Guitars Rebellion - France
Montreux Guitars - Japan
Pedal Genie - USA
Cream City Music - USA
Perfect Circuit - USA
Fuzz Monster - Denmark
Effektpedaler - Denmark
MusicToyz - USA

The Heisenberg has a retail price of $399. You guys know I'm not usually one for $300+ overdrive pedals but there's special circumstances here. The molecular junctions are very rare and meticulously hand-crafted by scientists and engineers at the NINT lab, they ain't cheap, plus there's a royalty to be paid for each one. The pedal uses premium components and parts, really top notch stuff like 4 layer pcb with dual ground planes, WIMA film caps, Kemet Golden Max ceramic caps, Nichicon Muse electrolytic caps, Yageo metal film resistors, Mill-Max machined sockets, Switchcraft enclosed jacks, Alpha pots, Copal enclosed trimmers, Lorlin rotary switch, Amphenol SIM holders, Panasonic relay. The clear back plates are from a Canadian manufacturer called The Tone God and they were a bit of a labour of love. There's hundreds of hours of work in this project and in these builds, it's the best darn overdrive pedal I can make.

Thanks very much for checking it out and for being a part of this project and journey! It's been just over 2 years since Dr. Adam first contacted me about molecular junctions and I'm still blown away to be part of this. I hope you guys get a kick out of the pedal!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: The Heisenberg Molecular Overdrive

Postby ThorZ » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:20 pm

Wow. Amazing. Amazing. No more words
Im not back. Im just front
ThorZ

committed
committed

Postby Ryan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:20 pm

*takes a week off*
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ryan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:21 pm

ThorZ wrote:Wow. Amazing. Amazing. No more words

Heeyyooo Chris! Thanks buddy!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ThorZ » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:26 pm

Hey man I really do hope you have a week off. Can't wait to try it out, although I'll probably spend a lot of time trying to fit it on my board
Im not back. Im just front
ThorZ

committed
committed

Postby Clean Channel » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:38 pm

Although I've said it countless times in the past 12-18 months, let me say it again: This is an absolutely amazing project and I can't wait to get mine!

Cheers to science!
Clean Channel

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jero » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:40 pm

:hug: stoked for you Ryan!

:!!!:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mikeyx13 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:39 pm

I'm already watching the store web sites to see who gets them in first. Merry Christmas to me :) Seriously, I am excited to start playing with this new pedal/technology, and learn how it works best for my music. How about coming up with the first Eurorack module to use a molecular junction next? Right after the Eurorack BitQuest :)
mikeyx13

committed
committed

Postby UglyCasanova » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:01 pm

I want one even though I don't use OD. Such an awesome project! :joy:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby blankfield » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:25 pm

Super awesome! Congrats!
blankfield

committed
committed

Postby blindrabbit » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:50 am

Good lord.

Where is $399 when I need it?!!
blindrabbit

experienced
experienced

Postby Eivind August » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:23 am

https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby futuresailors » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:07 am

Tom Dalton wrote:You're a dumbass for making this thread to begin with. :hello:

magiclawnchair wrote:fuck that bitter old man

smile_man wrote:
ifeellikeatourist wrote:Pedals aren't everything, yada, yada, yeah I know.

fuck you.

McSpunckle wrote:I ctrl+f'd mountain goats and decided we aren't friends anymore.
futuresailors

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:13 am

Great news Ryan (and everyone)!

Hooray for science!
Can't wait to hear this! Of course I'm going to try slamming it with the Elements to see what happens.
Testing the molecular junctions and what not.
For science.
Nothing to do with loving those palm mutes.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby goosekevin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:07 am

this is so amazing ryan! dr scientist forever
Derelict78 wrote:That probably sounds awful in the best possible way.
goosekevin

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Dr. Scientist