Spectrum Analyzer build

Moderator: Ryan

Spectrum Analyzer build

Postby Ryan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:21 pm

Lights that flash in relation to the frequencies of the music are so cool looking to me, I love 'em. This project doesn't do anything but make sounds visual, it's not an effect, it's purely for looks, but I thought this was a really cool project and I think I'm going to make a small run of these.

I found out about a special chip that's designed to read in a signal and split it into 7 filtered frequency, the MSGEQ7, and it's the heart of the analyzer combined with the LM3915, a 10 segment LED driver. So in a nutshell, you read in audio, split it into 7 bands (63Hz, 160Hz, 400Hz, 1000Hz, 2500Hz, 6250Hz, 16000Hz), output the info to the LED driver to light up some cool LED bar graphs. The MSG chip outputs a voltage that represents the level of each frequency band one after another so the micro is used to time the MSG chip to keep outputting the 7 bands while also turning on and off the appropriate LED bar graphs.

There's 2 3.5mm jacks that are connected together for pass-through and off those jacks I tap the signal into a couple buffers, then send it to the MSG chip. The system runs off 9V, 5V internally. The micro is an ATMEGA228P which I program using an Arduino Uno and the Evil Mad Science ISP shield. (feel free to ask away if you have questions about that Arduino stuff, happy to share what I know about the hardware etc. The ISP shield is really handy for burning the boot-loader onto new micros then programming them all from the Uno.)

DSC02197 (Large).JPG

DSC02200 (Large).JPG

DSC02202 (Large).JPG

DSC02137 (Large).JPG

DSC02243 (Large).JPG

You can plug in pretty much anything like your phone, iPad, MP3 player, computer, guitar, drum machine, synth, and whatever you plug in you will see the frequencies of without altering or doing anything to the signal, it's totally unobtrusive and just monitoring from a distance kinda thing. You can also use it with a built in microphone to monitor the sound around you, like in a band room. There's a little volume pot on the side to adjust the threshold of the display and inside there's a trimpot to adjust the idle noise plus a push-button switch to select line/inst or mic inputs.

I'll have more pics and a demo vid soon... sooo... anybody else like flashing music lights?
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Spectrum Analyzer build

Postby skullservant » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:30 pm

That's so cool Ryan!!
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrmy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:05 pm

That is super-cool, but I can't be the only one who thinks

A) That this was going to be the kickoff thread for a Dr. Sci Ring Mod (Spectrum Analyzer = Frequency Analyzer)

and

B) that you should totally take that chip and use it to make a fuzzstortion that splits your EQ into seven different bands AND LETS YOU DIAL IN THE AMOUNT OF DIRT ON EACH!!!!!
I'm more like a mids-ist than a bassist.
"The main rule on ILF is don't be an asshole." - Tom Dalton
I can't wait to annoy the shit out of you with my mountain of mids. - bigchiefbc
https://thewirechimes.bandcamp.com/releases
http://crotchthrottle.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/jrmyfuzz/
jrmy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:17 pm

I'm so going I attach that to the front of my pedaltrain. That way folks can see and hear the music (if they're standing real close or have super good eyesight).
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Ryan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Haha yeah, I'll definitely be making a noise maker with the micro.. kinda like I did with the Spin, as soon as I learn how to process audio in and out through a micro I try to make it a fuzz. The filter chip doesn't really output audio though, it outputs a multi-plexed DC voltage, it's intended as a display driver.

goroth wrote:I'm so going I attach that to the front of my pedaltrain. That way folks can see and hear the music (if they're standing real close or have super good eyesight).

Totally, it's a sweet pedal board accessory! I'll put you down for one! *big smile*
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby space6oy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:23 pm

projector version!
:rock: :rock: :rock:
space6oy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ryan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:24 pm

I think that'd look awesome.. I love watching lights move to music.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby space6oy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:25 pm

same here. have a couple gadgets that do it. maybe rca out?
space6oy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ryan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:31 pm

This thing can't interface with a projector, it's all task specific hardware.. it was borned to drive 7 x 10 segment LED bargraphs and that's it.

You could interface the micro and filter chip with a video output but that would be a whole new project, cool idea though...
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrmy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:40 pm

Ryan wrote:Haha yeah, I'll definitely be making a noise maker with the micro.. kinda like I did with the Spin, as soon as I learn how to process audio in and out through a micro I try to make it a fuzz. The filter chip doesn't really output audio though, it outputs a multi-plexed DC voltage, it's intended as a display driver...

SWEET!

Well, of course it's INTENDED as a display driver... but it would be cooler if it could be mangled/maimed/mis-handled for more sinister purposes!

Hm... let's see... could that multi-plexed DC voltage be used to tweak filters or something in real-time?
I'm more like a mids-ist than a bassist.
"The main rule on ILF is don't be an asshole." - Tom Dalton
I can't wait to annoy the shit out of you with my mountain of mids. - bigchiefbc
https://thewirechimes.bandcamp.com/releases
http://crotchthrottle.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/jrmyfuzz/
jrmy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby space6oy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:42 pm

Ryan wrote:This thing can't interface with a projector, it's all task specific hardware.. it was borned to drive 7 x 10 segment LED bargraphs and that's it.

You could interface the micro and filter chip with a video output but that would be a whole new project, cool idea though...

i gotcha i gotcha.

needs 8' tall LED bargraphs. :lol:
space6oy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby t-rey » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Holy crap, that's awesome.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Clean Channel » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:04 am

I like flashing music lights!!!

I'm going to permanently attach this to my face at a mustache.
Clean Channel

Supporter
Supporter

Postby wafl » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:02 am

jrmy wrote:B) that you should totally take that chip and use it to make a fuzzstortion that splits your EQ into seven different bands AND LETS YOU DIAL IN THE AMOUNT OF DIRT ON EACH!!!!!

I was thinking this exactly.
I NEED IT!
wafl

experienced
experienced

Postby neonblack » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:10 am

Clean Channel wrote:I like flashing music lights!!!

I'm going to permanently attach this to my face at a mustache.

belt buckle! hat adornment! guitar strap decoration!
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to Dr. Scientist