J. Mascis rockin some Dr. scientist

Moderator: Ryan

J. Mascis rockin some Dr. scientist

Postby Gunner Recall » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:42 pm

I'm not really a huge dinosaur jr fanboy but its always cool seeing famous people playing with pedals you dig.

Apprently he was using racks for a bit but recently rebuilt his board. I spy a frazz and a rrr :hello:
There are some that call me...morningstaru?
Gunner Recall

Re: J. Mascis rockin some Dr. scientist

Postby Ryan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:26 pm

Really cool picture, thanks a million for posting that! We haven't seen that before!

We made those pedals for J back in January.. he specifically requested those purple finishes which we thought was pretty cool. I never actually got to speak with him, just his manager Brian (heckuva nice guy), but we sent the Frazz to his home address and the Reverberator to Bob Bradshaw at Custom Audio... it's really neat to see them both on his board.

I don't really know much about Dinosaur Jr., they're a band I've always known the name of but I just never clicked with their music I guess. If any fans of the band have a suggestion for a good album of theirs to get into I'd definitely give it a shot.

Thanks again for posting that picture, I don't know if we'd have seen it otherwise and we both enjoyed seeing it. *smile*

-Ryan
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby acdc518 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:09 pm

"Your Living All Over Me" is my favorite Dinosaur album. that and their last album "beyond" is really good too
ILF pedals owned: Shoe Gazer, God Zilla, , Dream Mangler, Algal Bloom, AB-Synth
acdc518

interested
interested

Postby harpies » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Cool! I'm seeing them next weekend, so hopefully I'll get a good gander at the board. I like that J. uses old EH pedals as a pedestal for other pedals like I do.
harpies

experienced
experienced

Postby starcastic » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:45 pm

Dinosaur Jr. is so LOUD and so RAD. Dr. Scientist seems like a good match for them. Time to give the army of Big Muffs a rest.

starcastic

experienced
experienced

Postby dronemachine » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:01 pm

:rock: :rock: :rock:

That's great news,J knows what's up.
starcastic wrote:Dinosaur Jr. is so LOUD and so RAD. Dr. Scientist seems like a good match for them. Time to give the army of Big Muffs a rest.

Hehe...I'd say :lol:

My fave Dino albums are Bug and Hand It Over :excellent:
dronemachine

committed
committed

Postby Ryan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:39 pm

Holy geez, that's quite a Big Muff collection! And thanks for the album suggestions!

Mike, thanks for also planning on posting this! I wouldn't say the Frazz is anything like a Big Muff.. I don't know if I'd exactly call it a fuzz either.. I think of it more as a distortion or a cross between fuzz and distortion. I've always loved the guitar tones of bands like Orgy or Deadsy or The Birthday Massacre.. synth rock kinda bands with really aggressive and grindy guitars.. the Frazz is my attempt to get that kind of tone from the clean channel of an amp.

But you wouldn't have to feel bad about being done with fuzz as it's not really a fuzz... guilt free, sir! :joy:

Thanks again for making this cool thread morningstaru, it was a treat for us to see that board.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ghost Hip » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Ryan wrote:Holy geez, that's quite a Big Muff collection! And thanks for the album suggestions!

Mike, thanks for also planning on posting this! I wouldn't say the Frazz is anything like a Big Muff.. I don't know if I'd exactly call it a fuzz either.. I think of it more as a distortion or a cross between fuzz and distortion. I've always loved the guitar tones of bands like Orgy or Deadsy or The Birthday Massacre.. synth rock kinda bands with really aggressive and grindy guitars.. the Frazz is my attempt to get that kind of tone from the clean channel of an amp.

But you wouldn't have to feel bad about being done with fuzz as it's not really a fuzz... guilt free, sir! :joy:

Thanks again for making this cool thread morningstaru, it was a treat for us to see that board.

You're on ilovefuzz, buddy....its fuzz no matter what! :evil:

:lol:
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby jrmy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:49 pm

That's wicked slick. It's hard to fault J Mascis' taste in pedals!

Oh, and +1 for "Beyond." I know it's post-reunion and all that, but it hits me much harder than their original "classic" stuff did. I've got high hopes for the new one, "Farm."
I'm more like a mids-ist than a bassist.
"The main rule on ILF is don't be an asshole." - Tom Dalton
I can't wait to annoy the shit out of you with my mountain of mids. - bigchiefbc
https://thewirechimes.bandcamp.com/releases
http://crotchthrottle.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/jrmyfuzz/
jrmy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby harpies » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:26 am

I stood right in front of J. for about an hour last night. Most of his pedals were up in a rack, and all he had on the floor was the CAE control board, a huge mute switch in a bare case, another switch that he never touched in a bare case, a CAE wah, and a boss tuner. He also had a Sunlion on the floor next to his board, and I guess he has a couple since this one had the lion eating the sun graphic, unlike the one pictured in this thread. That wah turned his sound to shit every time it clicked on.

I was sorta disappointed with the show. They had no energy and just didn't give off a good vibe. It was cool they ended with the Cure's just like heaven.
harpies

experienced
experienced

Postby Ryan » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:51 pm

Well that's too bad, doesn't sound like an amazing concert experience at all.. were the opening bands more enjoyable?

On the plus side, Just Like Heaven is a great song to close with!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby harpies » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:18 pm

I liked the music for the opening band, dead confederate, but I couldn't get into the singer.

I think my deal with Dino Jr. is that J. plays well, but it can sound messy on the recordings, a bit worse live given the volume and typical messiness of live playing. Still, it was great to watch his hands at work and learn a bit. I don't do solos, lack the technique, but I still picked up some things. I swear his picking hand was swollen and looked much larger than his fretting hand. I was too close.

I was disappointed that I couldn't geek out over the rest of the pedalboard tucked away in the rack too.
harpies

experienced
experienced

Postby acdc518 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:52 pm

saw them last night. i was front row directly in front of mascis's amps. Mike Watt and the missingmen opened. I thought both bands were amazing.

anyway, as far as gear goes.

mascis was using his teese wah. so i think the CAE may just be a backup or got kicked off. he used a hiwatt custom 100, a marshall super pa, and a purple marshall super bass.

no pedalboard. he seems to be back to using the rack. he really likes the boost side of his sun lion. he seemed to use that for every solo.
ILF pedals owned: Shoe Gazer, God Zilla, , Dream Mangler, Algal Bloom, AB-Synth
acdc518

interested
interested

Postby Gunner Recall » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:04 pm

I think analog mike mentioned somewhere that he's got a some special new sun lion...
I don't remember exactly what was done to improve it though.
There are some that call me...morningstaru?
Gunner Recall

Postby harpies » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:13 pm

he isn't using a rack, he just has most of his pedals in a rack shelf and connected to the CAE controller. Seems like his tech goes back and forth on putting the board on the floor or in the rack, since I've read varying reports of what is going on with his board.
harpies

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to Dr. Scientist