The BitQuest Pre-Order Is OVAH! THANK YOU GUYS!

Moderator: Ryan

Re: The BitQuest Pre-Order! Box choices in first post!

Postby Ryan » Sun May 04, 2014 7:27 pm

biscuithead9 wrote:New here. Lured in by the Dr. Scientist love. Have to say that the BitQuest has really taken over my life since it arrived. I find myself opening up to some completely different approaches to guitar based on the sounds this thing is bringing. Already starting to go a little cross-eyed, and of course, just scratching the surface. So cool to have someone with such creative talent out there who continues to suprise.

That's fantastic, Steve, totally the kind of thing a guitar pedal maker hopes to read! *smile* Hope you keep on having fun with it and thanks again!

bronzetalon wrote:Don't stop with the quest bro the elements is the best utility eq/overdrive/distortion pedal on the market. I still wish he would redesign the SDD in a quest/elements size box cause that is the best no frills delay IMO.

Well shucks this is also the kind of thing a guitar pedal maker hopes to read, thanks Ian! You know, I've been thinking for a little while now about doing a small SDD.. I think I could do it in the miniberator box.. and yeah, just shoot for a top notch and tiny no frills delay.. maybe could stuff a treble stage in there too for a tone knob..

digiTED wrote:i'm in. love you guys! can't wait to mix-n-match

Thanks Ted! Yours will arrive this week, hope you have fun!

Clean Channel wrote:Boy, was I late to the party on this one. Ordered!

Thanks Tim! Elements and a BitQuest, what an adventure! Should begin tomorrow for you hey...

raulduke wrote:1st impressions. They sound fan-f*cking-tastic!

The elements is the best IC based overdrive I've tried. I LOVE the midband EQ (pre-gain I believe?) on this thing.

So flexible. It's like a Super Swiss Army Overdrive/Distortion.

The Bit Quest is also awesome. Very cool and I like how it can be used subtly just as well as it can to evoke messed up 'my dial up modem is having a seizure' tones.

The Bit Quest enclosure is gorgeous too. I'm glad I got in on the pre-order when I had a chance.

The other thing I would like to mention is the build quality. These things are a work of art in terms of their construction and the thought that has obviously gone into them. The PCB layouts are beautiful. I also love the relay bypass; soft touch switching FTW (I'm gonna have to integrate relay bypass into the stuff I build).

So yeah... in short... I'm stoked with these.

Thanks Ryan and Tanya!

Totally awesome, Steve, thank you very much!

goroth wrote:A note about expression pedals -

I've tried the BitQuest with both the Roland EV-5 and the Moog EP-2. In my opinion the EV-5 is way more useful for the BitQuest. On the EP-2 there is a pot to control the maximum sweep of the pedal, whereas on the EV-5 there is a pot to control the minimum. With the EV-5 you can get so much more out of the LPF/HPF - like, waaaay more. You can tune it so that the heel is at the lowest point of the sweep, meaning no silence while you are filtering notes that you can't hear. Or you can tune it so that you are in a narrow wah range and use it like a wah. You don't get the same versatility out of the EP-2 - you have to bring the LPF up to get the wah stuff, and given that control 1 is the LPF you need to be able to set a higher minimum. Will have to compare EP-2/EV-5 with the other patches, but given how AWESOME the EV-5 was with the LPF/HPF patch I'll be going with that regardless.

Is there any expression pedal where you can set the max or the minimum sweep? That would be rad.

Very interesting, thanks Matt! That's a great feature being able to set the minimum like that, I've gotta get myself an EV-5. Doesn't the knob on the EP-2 do something similar though, like set a minimum range so you don't sweep the whole signal away? I think the EV-5 works great still, it just depends on what you want to do with it I guess...

Tristan wrote:I dunno about that but with the Expressionator you can do both at the same time.

I haven't plugged mine in yet with a BitQuest but I bet it rules hard, such a neat little box.

Clean Channel wrote:While I was at it, ordered The Elements too.

Putting together a new pedaltrain jr, with only top-mounted pedals, and it'll include these two new ones as well as all of my older Dr.Sci pedals. All in it'll have the Elements, Bitquest, Cosmichorus, RRR, Frazz Dazzler, Tremolessence, and the ILF Day Delay.

Can't wait to see that board, Tim, thanks again!

Chankgeez wrote:Well, lookee here.

The BitQuest brings all the boys to the yard.

haha! This reminds me to thank you guys very much for supporting the BitQuest so nicely in that thread on TGP recently, I really appreciate it. Thanks for sending me a link to it, Jason, I wouldn't have seen it otherwise and it really made my day, was awesome to read.

There's just 7 grey acid-etched boxes left so I took down the pics and numbers from the front page, anybody who's interested in one can email me and I'll show you a better pic.

And in case anybody reading this from this end has missed all the cool demo videos so far, here's a link to a YouTube playlist with all of 'em!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhxoA2WUvmws_CT1kU_NfZYEeeAPi4KpG&feature=mh_lolz
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: The BitQuest Pre-Order! **Only a few left, email first*

Postby goroth » Sun May 04, 2014 9:55 pm

Hey Ryan!

The ep-2 lets you set the maximum sweep, the EV-5 the minimum. Setting the minimum is the key to getting the most out of the lpf.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby bronzetalon » Mon May 05, 2014 11:00 am

Ryan if you redesign the SDD do it in a elements sized box. Save yourself some heart ache + those boxes are just the perfect size with top mounted jacks. Personally I think the SDD is perfect the way it is in the tone department but a trebley knob would be cool.
bronzetalon

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Ryan » Sun May 11, 2014 9:26 pm

goroth wrote:Hey Ryan!

The ep-2 lets you set the maximum sweep, the EV-5 the minimum. Setting the minimum is the key to getting the most out of the lpf.

Gotcha, thanks Matt! Big difference for sure, gotta get one of those ordered!

bronzetalon wrote:Ryan if you redesign the SDD do it in a elements sized box. Save yourself some heart ache + those boxes are just the perfect size with top mounted jacks. Personally I think the SDD is perfect the way it is in the tone department but a trebley knob would be cool.

Yeah that would be easier for sure.. and I could probably fit an expression jack in too...probably do a Spin delay first though... after we get moved and settled...
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bronzetalon » Sun May 11, 2014 9:31 pm

Ryan wrote:
goroth wrote:Hey Ryan!

Gotcha, thanks Matt! Big difference for sure, gotta get one of those ordered!

bronzetalon wrote:Ryan if you redesign the SDD do it in a elements sized box. Save yourself some heart ache + those boxes are just the perfect size with top mounted jacks. Personally I think the SDD is perfect the way it is in the tone department but a trebley knob would be cool.

Yeah that would be easier for sure.. and I could probably fit an expression jack in too...probably do a Spin delay first though... after we get moved and settled...

Hey a Spin focused delay would be great just make a sdd patch.
bronzetalon

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: The BitQuest Pre-Order! Box choices in first post!

Postby Chankgeez » Sun May 11, 2014 9:39 pm

Ryan wrote:
Chankgeez wrote:Well, lookee here.

The BitQuest brings all the boys to the yard.

haha! This reminds me to thank you guys very much for supporting the BitQuest so nicely in that thread on TGP recently, I really appreciate it. Thanks for sending me a link to it, Jason, I wouldn't have seen it otherwise and it really made my day, was awesome to read.

Whoops, missed this, haven't visited this thread in a few days.

You are most welcome, Ryan.

They do love a little Dr. Scientist over there. Along with like 10,000 overdrives and such. :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Ryan » Sun May 11, 2014 9:48 pm

I was thinking I could maybe get close too with the Spin.. I'd have the active treble control so you could make it dark plus I'm gonna have a control to drag out the Spin's delay time which will lower its resolution and sound gritty/dark/artifacty... so yeah, I like the idea of a SDD patch on a Spin delay, would be fun to try.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: The BitQuest Pre-Order Is OVAH! THANK YOU GUYS!

Postby Forrrest » Tue May 20, 2014 11:17 pm

after spending quite some time with this pedal, I can't get my hands off it.
I'm really loving it Ryan!
Forrrest

committed
committed

Postby Clean Channel » Tue May 20, 2014 11:19 pm

Forrrest wrote:after spending quite some time with this pedal, I can't get my hands off it.
I'm really loving it Ryan!

Yeah, me too. It's definitely one that takes time explore and discover your favorite sounds. I imagine every person could find themselves using the Bitquest in a unique way. So much power is such a tiny package. I'm already positive the Biquest is an absolute keeper.
Clean Channel

Supporter
Supporter

Postby breitnersn » Wed May 21, 2014 1:06 am

Great ILFBQ pre-order, Ryan. So when will the regular BQ be available? And what will it look like?
Last edited by breitnersn on Wed May 21, 2014 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
breitnersn

committed
committed

Postby Bellyheart » Wed May 21, 2014 7:18 am

Yeah, I was never able to have the money. It was as if the fuzz gods didn't want it.
Bellyheart

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ryan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:46 pm

breitnersn wrote:Great ILFBQ pre-order, Ryan. So when will the regular BQ be available? And what will it look like?

Thanks Franz! Couldn't have done it without you buddy! *smile*

Now that they're all gone I really miss the BitQuest..

I had been thinking that we'd have to get through our move before we'd be able to get the BQ into production, and I'm not sure now. The move has progressed well, mom is now living in Summerland and we've got our house half-packed up and a big storage bin to move it all into is out back, so we're trucking along... but I'm kinda kicking myself for not having those new BQ boxes in hand right now. I'm gonna check in with my box guys and see exactly where we're at, maybe we'll start making them sooner than later... I'm not really sure!

Worst case, we get moved to Penticton over the next couple months and then I start building them! I'm really excited to get them officially out there, I think it's the best/coolest/most fun and hopefully most popular pedal I make.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:31 pm

Any other patch ideas floating around in that amazing noggin?
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ryan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:35 pm

I've been thinking mostly of doing a Spin based delay pedal next and I was further thinking that some of those patches could possibly be BitQuest patches or optional ones. I think it'd be cool/fun if through the years as new pedals get made, something awesome from those new pedals will trickle down to the BQ to add to its repertoire.

And in a more general sense, I want to do more with envelope control and with random, and that could affect the BitQuest one day too. The BitQuest has kind of a flexible future, its patches could change or become a choice for the customers, I'm curious to see how it'll play out too..
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:42 pm

So is it possible to upgrade existing BQs? Like if you come up with a killer patch, could I hypothetically send mine back and have a patch I dont really use replaced with a new one?
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Dr. Scientist